Ural-a-ling the USA, Mr. Cob goes on tour

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Mr. Cob, Jun 20, 2008.

1. NomadRip

NomadRip Always a n00b

Oddometer:
    Ahhh...the trip doesn't end yet :wings
  2. windburn

windburn Long timer

Oddometer:
    After circling America You are finely home. Congratulations
  3. Dbear

Dbear Hanging on

Oddometer:
    3 cheers for Spot!!!

:clap

4. cpres

cpres Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    80 plus MPH damn you had that rig running. I was thinking that I was going to have to out run you with the Retro but I don't know now. Great work with the Ural great trip to read about and have a small part in. If you get this way again I welcome the visit.
  5. Mully

Mully Kineticist

Oddometer:
    Epic! :thumb

mully
  6. FastMag

FastMag Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Most impressive.
  7. knuckle

knuckle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Scale of 1-10 I rate your ride a +15. You did good Mr Cob. Thank you.
  8. cubituscubitus

cubituscubitus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Dave, thanks to Spot we could see a picture of a smiling Mr. Cob ! :lol3
    More seroiusly, I've had the pleasure to read your ride report on a daily basis and I swear I've enjoyed it from day 1.
    This was obviously an adventure in the true spirit of the pionneers who built America.
    I can't find the words to express my deep gratitude for your sharing such an experience, for your nice pictures and thoughts.
    Thierry aka Terry
  9. 502MAD

502MAD 502MAD

Oddometer:
    Cobster,
    Glad to know you've made it home safe and sound!!! What is your opinion of doing FI in these units??? BTW, I don't think I'll tell my daughter not to play with her food anymore!!! :rofl
  10. ZONKR

ZONKR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What a trip! I first became aware of Urals at the bike show in Phoenix in Oct or Nov of '02 and they lurked in the back of my mind for a long time, prodded by random mentions and articles like the one by Peter Egan in Cycle World. The final straw was your ride reports on this forum so I finally pulled the trigger on Feb 2nd of this year and picked up a new Gear Up. What a blast it's been so far.

I notice you have the leg shields installed on the tour rig. What is your opinion of them and what is the official Ural position if there is one?

Thanks for taking us along and I hope to get to ride with you sometime.

Max
  11. XPatriot

XPatriot Charges have been dropped

Oddometer:
    Cob-

Have you put the 'rocket tour rig' up against any other '08's? I'm wondering if this particular rig runs like a scalded badger or this year's all new valve train means increased power for all '08's?

FWIW I'm still breaking mine in (900 clicks in about 5 weeks so far) so I'm keeping it around 50-55 tops, but on the flat it runs 50 with at least 40% throttle remaining.
  12. tony the tiger

tony the tiger Long timer

Oddometer:
    secret owner of a Parmesan cheese factory
    Give a guy a break, eh?:wink:
    $155.88 ($160 is just easier though, eh?) for Fischer House on Ft Lewis. Works for me!
    *or did I mess that up, too...
    TT
  13. MoBill

MoBill Smiles when says dat

Oddometer:

Oooooh. Serious, I so totally didn't get it...

*(hiding behind couch) I thought you were sayin' 1300 miles to cross the US....I used to could not spell Solger, now I are one...

This is me: :huh
  14. Tempesta

Tempesta I know, right?

Oddometer:
    And welcome home! :D
  15. Mr. Cob

Mr. Cob Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Howdy 502MAD,

"What is your opinion of doing FI in these units??? " I am sorry I don't understand your question, what do you mean by "FI" ?
  16. Mr. Cob

Oddometer:
    Howdy ZONKR,

From your post I would gather that my exploits did play a part in your deciding to buy a Ural, if this is correct could you please send me an email or PM stating this, thanks.

As too the leg shields, to my personal knowledge IMWA does not have an official position on their use. I can tell you from many miles of testing and checking the cylinder head temperatures with and with out the leg shields in place that the leg shields DO help decrease cylinder head operating temperatures by directing air flow down and over the heads. The only reason I don't use them on my personal rig is because there is no way to use them with the high exhaust pipe that I have on my rig. I will be experimenting with and installing some sort of air deflectors in the future on my rig.
  17. Mr. Cob

Oddometer:
    Howdy XPatriot,

I can't remember if the tour rig ran against another 08 or not. I do know for a fact that the 08 heads make power, after installing a set on my rig it did increase top end speed and over all throttle response, yes they really are that good. :clap
  18. Mr. Cob

Oddometer:
    Howdy All,

Thanks folks for all of your kind words regarding the ride report, they are most appreciated. If anyone has any specific questions concerning any aspect of this ride, don't be shy, ask and I'll do the best I can to give good answers. :deal
  19. Chuck Roll

Chuck Roll Lazy

Oddometer:
    Fuel Injection?
  20. Mr. Cob

Oddometer:
    Howdy Tork, 502MAD,

If by "FI" you mean fuel injection I have no personal knowledge of it but I do know that Ural already has a fuel injection system that has been tested and from what I have heard has met the very stringent European emissions standards. I have talked to folks who have ridden the fuel injected bike when they visited the factory in Irbit and they were VERY impressed with the power and response of the rig.

There are two schools of thought within the Ural community regarding fuel injection, some folks such as myself can't wait for it to hit the street many others hate it as it takes the Ural further into the present as regards technology. This is the same dilemma that Harley faced when it up-graded its bikes, the die hards wanted them left alone the new riders especialy the younger ones wanted them brought up to date.

"Rumor" is that fuel injection will be on the 2010 rigs or at least available by then, I have no idea how much truth there is to this rumor.