1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Ural-a-ling the USA, Mr. Cob goes on tour

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Mr. Cob, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Eaglebeak

Eaglebeak All roads rider, West Oz.

Oddometer:
    Mr Cob, I've been following your report with interest. (as I have all USA Ural reports).
    We have only just had an importer brave enough to try again with Urals in Oz. The last time I saw any here was in the 70's and they were very poorly made.
    At the moment the importer and a number of agents are all on the east coast of Oz and (as far as I know) there is one only new outfit in Western Australia where I live.

I am interested but have a couple of niggling worries.
    Namely the metal quality.

I know you had to helicoil all the head bolts as one was stripped and at the end of your report you mention your mate Don's rocker cover being warped.
    What is your considered opinion on the stripped thread and (remembering I haven't seen one in the flesh yet) are the rocker covers only held on by a central bolt ? Could that have contributed to the warp ?

(Unlike BMW's with a centre bolt and a smaller nut and bolt at either end of the rocker cover)

regards
    Andrew Linton
  2. Mr. Cob

Mr. Cob Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Howdy Andrew,

It is "my" opinion and please bear in mind it is an opinion not a fact that some sort of steel insert should be installed at the factory which will then have the cylinder heads studs screwed in. Again in "my" opinion the use of Heli-Coils is an excellent "fix or repair" but is not the way the part should be "Manufactured".

As to the valve cover warping, "Dangerous Don" is without doubt my best friend he also without doubt a fastener of any kinds worst enemy. Don has a habit of tightening stuff to the point of stripped threads and or in the case of the valve cover warping it. The valve covers on my rig and on those of the tour rig DO NOT leak, I "snug" the nut that holds them in-place and leave it at that, there is absolutely no sense in tightening these nuts so tight you warp the cover. That being said, on my personal rig the covers did leak until I took a few minutes with a hand file and draw filed the mating surface to where it had no high spots, on the tour rig this was NOT necessary. The build quality of the Ural has improved tremendously over the last few years the difference between a 2004 and a 2008 is simply remarkable.

I hope this answer to your questions has been of use to you.:D
  3. seekeronsaltspring

seekeronsaltspring Crazy David

Oddometer:
    so what seat works best for long distance the single or the bench?
  4. Oldtimer

Oldtimer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I may have a lot of questions but heck, I'll have 10 days or so in Death Valley in January to ask them. :clap
  5. Mr. Cob

Oddometer:
    Howdy seek....................,

I like the bench seat for both on and off road riding it allows you to move around and place your body weight where its needed for balance, in my opinion its also much more comfortable. Your butt may disagree. :lol3
  6. Mr. Cob

Oddometer:
    Howdy Oldtimer,

Have you posted on "SS" your camp site number and dates you'll be in DV? If not please do, thanks. :deal
  7. Oldtimer

Oldtimer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Went on the SS site and tried to register but they wouldn't let me as someone had already taken that screen name and had the same email address. Duh, it was me. Now you know why Oldtimer fits me so well. Ok, I'm posted. Who are you, again:rofl
  8. Wallybob

Wallybob History Geek

Oddometer:
    Bump.

Any word on "Cob-approved" gear? I was wondering how the bag on the luggage rack worked out, as well as the tank bag, and waterproof camera.

Are there any in particular, places to eat that would be worth a trip by themselves?

Either way, glad you are home, and with Donna and Spot.

WHeeee.
  9. Mr. Cob

Oddometer:
    Howdy Mike,

Inmate, "Big Mack", made the luggage rack bag that was on the tour rig, it was a prototype. I have to get off my arse and get in contact with him and see if he wants to go forward with making this a regular item on his web site. The rack bag worked VERY well, the rain cover needs a bit of work but even in it's prototype form it worked well and kept the contents of the bag DRY.:clap

The tank bag that IMWA sells for the Ural does NOT come with a rain cover, this is what contributed to my Sony camera being drowned. That camera still doesn't work, I have tried everything I know to dry it out, even taking it apart and allowing all the parts to dry, it still won't work I am on the verge of giving up and tossing it in the trash. I really liked that camera. :cry

The Olympus, "Stylus 850 SW" camera that I replaced the Sony with has stood up to an incredible amount of abuse. It is listed as shock proof from a hight of 5 feet, I don't know about 5 feet but since buying this camera I have developed a habit of dropping the darn thing, many times and it's still working. So far it has been water proof as advertised, I have just bought a clear plastic case from Olympus that is guaranteed water proof to a depth of 141 feet :eek1 no I am not a diver but this case easily allows all of the functions of the camera to be worked with gloves on, it will make taking photos while riding much easier. The case will also allow mounting the camera on the handle bars to take photos or short videos whilst riding and protecting it from dust, rain, etc. I think the Sony took a better photo but this camera is much better suited to Adv-Riding.

I bought a set of "First Gear" vented jacket and pants just before the trip, this was used gear but it was in very good shape. This gear served me well in all climates from the heat of the southwest to the cold of the high Rocky's, I like it and will continue to use it.

The vented gear came with zip in liners to make it water proof and wind proof, this worked well but it was cumbersome to use. I much prefer the "Moto-Port" rain jacket and pants that I have had for over 10 years. It is very light weight and easy to put on quick over your other gear, packs very small and is DURABLE, like I said it's 10 years old and still works.

I was the very happy recipient of a set of "Hot Grips" grip heaters, this product is the best grip heater other then the stock installed from the factory BMW grip heater setup I have ever used, I like'em.

My Sidi, water proof Discovery boots also worked well, these boots are over five years old and still do their job well.

The Ari XD helmet has become my favorite helmet, it worked in all weather conditions.

I was lucky and NEVER used any of my camping gear so I can't report on how it worked on this trip, however I have used all of the gear on other trips and am pleased with it's performance. I have bought all of my camping gear from "REI" yes they usually charge a bit more for the gear but they have the absolute BEST customer service on the planet. If you buy something from REI and for whatever reason you don't like how it works, take it back and they will allow you to exchange it for a new product of your choice. For years I have done this up grading my gear as I go.

That's about all I can think of in the gear department, I'll do my best to answer any other questions concerning this trip that folks might have :deal
  10. 502MAD

502MAD 502MAD

Oddometer:
    Dave,
    Yes, fuel injection was what I was referring to. I was just curious if, through your relationship with Ural USA, if you had greater insight into the FI setup that they might consider, how much of a rumour, etc etc. Thanks for your thoughts on this one. Personally I would like to see FI on these things...... there's nothing wrong with better technology IMHO. To each his own.......
  11. Wallybob

Wallybob History Geek

Oddometer:
    I would be interested in that luggage rack bag. It looked like it needed some adjustment of where to tie it down, but would do the job.

Enjoy the day!
  12. cpres

cpres Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So is the final verdict back from little Irbit on how the tour rig really held up. Last I saw it needed minor stuff and it would be back in your hands for more "testing". I also am wondering what is the tally of states that the rig rolled a wheel in, and what is your tally that you have rolled a wheel in? Next as the pilot of an 07 Retro what have you learned that you can share that will ensure that I enjoy this rig for many more klicks. The wife is in training as my monkey and she now has a almost 400 mile day under her belt with this rig.
  13. rapidrider

rapidrider rapidrider

Oddometer:
    Dave....

Just got back from Hawaii.

Could you re-post your total mileage for this trip please.

As you know... I pledged 1 cent per mile you rode as a donation to a Veterans group to benefit those wounded returning from our current wars as well as those in need that have served in the past.

I plan on sending half the donation to http://www.fisherhouse.org/ and the other house to http://www.fallenheroesfund.org/.

Both organization are rated among the highest in utilizing donated funds for the benefit of those that need it most rather than on directors fat salaries or extremely high fund raising expenses. Both are very deserving of our support.

I challenge any fellow Advriders who enjoyed Daves ride reports to think about a similar donation to a Vet group of your choice. These troops and their families are making extreme sacrifices for us and our freedoms. We should not forget them!

Ken
  14. Mr. Cob

Oddometer:
    Howdy Ken,

Here's the final mileage for the trip.
    [​IMG]
  15. LoganAZ

LoganAZ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    WOW!! 83.3 MPH:clap .... No wonder you always want to race. See ya this weekend.
  16. jntroisi

jntroisi n00b

Oddometer:
    Dave, I've been following all of your videos on youtube, your posts on the web board, as well as your tour of the USA. This was exactly what I needed to know about these machines. I plan to buy one as soon as I can unload my Yamaha. Seeing you push these rigs far beyond what I will probably ever do gives me true peace of mind that I will be making a great decision when purchasing a Ural Gear-Up.
  17. Mr. Cob

Oddometer:
    Howdy introisi,

Let me be the first to Welcome you to ADV-Rider :clap

IF you do buy a Ural, please send me an email or a PM saying what you have said in your post, thanks. :deal
  18. Mr. Cob

Oddometer:
    Howdy Logan,

Words to remember and live by, "When ever two or more Urals are gathered together, the race is ON." :wink:
  19. MNrider

MNrider Local tall guy.

Oddometer:
    Say Dave -

83 MPH? Youch - according to my calculations that's around 400 RPM over redline. Were you coasting, or were you under power at that speed?

Paul in Minnesota
    07 Tourist LX
  20. Mr. Cob

Oddometer:
    Howdy MNrider,

Under power, tucked in behind windshield, knee's next to the tank, elbow's in, flat out and SMILING.:evil :clap :deal