1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines this year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

Ural dishes the dirt...3 wheel drive

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by outfit, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Agent Wayward

Agent Wayward 2 wheels good, 3 wheels better!

Oddometer:
    I agree with Mr Windmill's thoughts entirely. :)

Sadly, I don't have video evidence, but then again, I didn't set out to show off my 3wd skills to the world. Oddly enough when I go off road, I don't often have a camerman following me and it's really quite tricky to video yourself when riding, don't you think?
    I've got some good still shots of myself on a 1WD Ural at over 2000m altitude on snow in the alps, if you're interested? And I believe their is a video on Utube of me riding through a huge water filled bombhole in a forest. Filled the carbs with water on that one. :)

Nice to see that Dutchmen still love their chips, even if they do keep them on their shoulders. :rofl
  2. Agent Wayward

Oddometer:
    No trailer, pulling one offroad isn't really my idea of fun, though I do pull one on the road. ;)

OBVIOUSLY, I was poking a bit of fun at our Russian comrade.

I do apreciate the engineering as I said.

However, had he aproached the situation differently, he would not have got stuck, I reckon that is pretty obvious too.
  3. Sidecarjohn

Sidecarjohn SidecarJohn Supporter

Oddometer:
    "I've been through worse situations than that on a standard single wheel drive Ural with a knobbly on the back."
    Evidence please, Agent Wayward ?

Whatever else, it seems that most of those who have looked at these latest videos are reasonably impressed.
  4. claude

claude Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer:
    Looks like he could use the driven trailer wheel option.
  5. USMCG_Spyder

USMCG_Spyder RPOC pilot

Oddometer:
    :nod

[​IMG]
  6. ivara

ivara Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I found out that with almost 20 year old tires on snow, the Dnepr MT-16 2WD did not help me much at all. I struggled on flat ground :D

But then, I'm a total novice at this stuff..

Some model "Ivan" snow chains helped a lot, but I had to put them on the hach wheel too.
    [​IMG]
  7. Agent Wayward

Oddometer:
    Sorry, I hadn't realised we were in court. :D

If I can refer you, honorable Sidecarjohn, to my response above, m'lud, I'm afraid that there I shall have to rest my case.

Once again, I'm impressed too, by the build and the rustic engineering, just not by the riding.
  8. dillon

dillon Low Speed, High Drag

Oddometer:
    A friend of mine that I whent through diesel school with and I were talking about Urals the other day. After a few beers we started talking about taking a variable displacement hydraulic pump right off the engine, then run it to variable displacement hydraulic motors on each wheel. Once you got it synced up, you could run fast, and have good torque and have 3 wheel drive. We also started thinking about replacing the Ural engine with a small diesel. Both of us really want to do this.
  9. Qwik

Qwik Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer:
    Be sure You do a Build report. I wanna see this beast
  10. outfit

outfit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Being unfamiliar with all round drive, is there some sort of ratio applied to the different wheel's, or is it the same ratio all round?
  11. ivara

ivara Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    you mean power distribution?

On my my 90's Dnepr with 2WD, there's a regular differential, meaning that it'll spin the tire without traction.

From what I understand, 2WD Urals is a part-time system with no differential...?
  12. USMCG_Spyder

USMCG_Spyder RPOC pilot

Oddometer:
    Correct; it is selectable direct-drive.
  13. dillon

dillon Low Speed, High Drag

Oddometer:
    Only thing that really stopped us was how to keep the tires from "scrubbing" on pavement. I would think I would just make it so on pavement your just running the tractor rear, then run solonoid controlled valves to allow fluid to the other two wheels. It would be stupid expensive, and way cool.
  14. SamM

SamM Jeep Overlander

Oddometer:
    There is already something very similar to this. It's build on a Rokon and is called the Sumac MT. The MT means motorcycle tractor. I don't think it's possible to move enough fluid to get road speeds out of it though. Topspeed on the Sumac MT is about 25mph. I'd love to see someone figure it out! You diesel guys could do it.

SamM
  15. USMCG_Spyder

USMCG_Spyder RPOC pilot

Oddometer:
    Interesting...

[​IMG]
  16. SamM

SamM Jeep Overlander

Oddometer:
    The 3 wheeled configuration is very different. The rear wheels run on outriggers. The outrigger units lift the single rear wheel off the ground, as it is no longer powered when the outrigger wheels are installed. This is what makes it a tractor. It uses a small Honda gasoline engine that drives the hydraulic pump, each wheel then has a gerator that drives the wheel. You can run any hydraulic powered accessory made with this setup. From posthole diggers to chainsaws. The gentleman that built this uses it to dredge for gold.

I could see myself towing a mower to cut my very large lawn. He declined my offer to build a second one for me!

SamM

[​IMG]
  17. ivara

ivara Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    a friend of my dad, that had worked as a mechanic all his life got partially disabled after gettin struck by lightning. H then set out to build a kind of vehicle that allowed him to enjoy the nature as before.

The vehicle could best be classified as a small buggy, tube frame , aircooled VW engine driving a hydraulic pump - and hyd.motors on each wheel. Not sure if he ever got it finished... Sorry, no pics available

Then, many years later, I got aware of this awesome "wheelchair":
    [​IMG]
    14HP, 4 Mph
    options include snow plow, winch, canvas top etc. And more than one moose has been pulled out of the woods with one of these
  18. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I saw this at the Barber Vintage Festival in '08. The fellow had a handout sheet to explain how it worked. Diesel power ,variable speed pumps,reverse!, Air adjustable ride height etc.
    The frame and forks are aluminum, so the weight is much less than it appears. The front and rear swingarms are single sided for easy wheel changes.
    While the appearance is agricultural that works for me, as I farm. I think this has good potential as a base for a three wheel drive sidecar.
    The guy also said he'd had it up past 60mph.
  19. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds I'm alive.

Oddometer:
    :rofl

I'm learning. Would it be

"Вы берете водку"

?
  20. eastbloc

eastbloc comprador bourgeois

Oddometer:
    I'm surprised that guy was clumsily using his hand to shift into and out of reverse.

It's much easier and faster to do with a boot heel.