Ural Sidecar Detach

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by ISDT, Apr 13, 2006.

1. ISDT

ISDT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Can you disconnect the sidecar from the new Urals? On their site they say they are releasing a the classic with no sidecar, but i'd like to have a gear up minus the sidecar. I know they're good to keep on because of the 2wd, but i think it'd be cool to just ride it with it off.
  2. Mista Vern

Mista Vern Knows All - Tells Some.

Oddometer:
    I think the standard "Troika" is set up so that you can have both. If I am wrong, others will certainly chime in! :evil
  3. Sidecardoug

Sidecardoug Pleasantly pleasing

Oddometer:
    You can't ride solo on any Ural with a leading link front end. There's little trail in the LL front end and it's just about impossible. That means the Gear Up is out for solo riding, course it also has a driveshaft out to the hack wheel, which would aso be a problem.

The telescopic fork front end Urals can all be ridden solo. They're like a /5 BMW with more power and better brakes. If you're taking off the sidecar, you need to watch for tires that are worn flat. They make solo use *interesting.*
  4. ISDT

ISDT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i thought leading link front ends were good for front end stability. maybe i'm wrong
  5. Sidecardoug

Oddometer:
    Leading links are used on sidecar rigs for two reasons. They are better able to handle the sideloads that a rig generates and they generally have little or no trail. Trail causes a front wheel to straight itself out (think of the wheels on a shopping car) You don't want trail on a hack outfit, but you do on a solo rig. Little or no trail means really quick steering.
  6. Anorak

Anorak Woolf Barnato Supporter

Oddometer:
    The leading link /2 BMW has the option of two pivot points for sidecar or two wheels. Maybe you can swap a BMW Earles fork.
  7. crankshaft

crankshaft Guns are for pussies

Oddometer:
    Don't the old /2 euro Airheads have a leading link? I rode one solo with no issues :dunno
  8. Sidecardoug

Oddometer:
    Leading links (Earles) per se are not the problem. The question here was riding Urals solo. The Ural leading link is set up for sidecar use only. I don't know if you could put a "solo" setting on it or not. In any event, it's not set up that way from the factory.

The Ural Troyka and Retro have telescopic front ends and you can ride them solo. The old Decos and Bavarian Classic Urals are also bikes that can be operated without the sidecar.
  9. crankshaft

Oddometer:
    I'm not trying to be a prick, but have you tried to ride one without the hack?
  10. Sidecardoug

Oddometer:
    Yes
  11. crankshaft

Oddometer:
    What was it like? My buddy has a Gear up and we were talking about
    pulling the hack off just the other day to see what its like.
    If its really that bad, than we wont bother.
  12. Mr. Cob

Mr. Cob Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Howdy All,

I don't claim to be an expert on Ural's nor do I portray one on the Internet, that being said the "Ural Leading Link Front Fork" was specifically designed for SIDE CAR USE ONLY. Sorry to shout but for safety reasons don't ride a rig such as the Gear-Up or Patrol without the hack attached. :deal
  13. ISDT

ISDT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Can you swap the LL with their performance Paioli front end with front fender?