Ural VS. Dnepr

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by thisflatearth, Feb 22, 2006.

1. thisflatearth

thisflatearth 2 wheel has been

Oddometer:
    So if you had to choose which would you and why?

I love the pics and reports Mr. Cob has put out there and it seems there are a handful of Ural-ers on the board as well but as I paruse Ebay and the rest of the web I come across a Dnepr MT-16 every once and a while.

The only thing that the Dnepr gives up to the Ural is the front brake (Ural=Disc...Dnepr=Drum) and possibly dealer support but I dont see many Ural Dealers around either. But the DNepr is an 804cc, has a differential with a limited slip in it, I have seen a 80mph max speed quote (but that might be rough with the big sidecar.

This is just a shot in the dark to see what kind of thinking the masses are doing. My next bike will be a sidecar as my KLR650 is to fast and is going to get me in trouble :evil (I am a speed freak and thats why I didnt get a sportbike)

Any opinions and in depth knowledge on either bike are welcome just keep it friendly

thisflatearth:norton
  2. bmwblake

bmwblake upside down parker

Oddometer:
    search for posts by redmenace he has experience with both.

from what i recall, the urals are new and being supported and updated. dnepr's haven't been produced as new in many years. you're either looking at a kit bike that's not assembled or one that someone put together and is now selling.

there aren't many times i've seen someone boast about a ural being more reliable than another bike, but this qualifies.
  3. JohnBG

JohnBG Slow Moving Three Wheeler

Oddometer:
    Stick with the Ural. Dneprs have not been manufactured new in a long time and the "kit bikes" that these hucksters are pushing on eBay are junk. I have seen many fine-running Dneprs, but there is no dealer support and good parts are hard to come by.

Do yourself a favor, check into the "Forums" section at www.russianiron.com and lurk there.
  4. thisflatearth

Oddometer:
    YEah the concensus everywhere seems to be Ural and I tend to agree. There is something not right looking with the Dnepr and all the info leads to the fact that they are kinda pitsy and less reliable than the Urals.

I have also seen what a Ural can do under the butt of a great rider and the fact that it didnt blow up or out I am sold. I only buy rigs that are easy to work on and dirt simple in their mechanics.

thanks

dave
  5. chiefrider

chiefrider Chrome won't get you home

Oddometer:
    I owned a 1979 (?) Dnepr for about 8 years. My children LOVED putting around town with it in the chair when they were small. I would comment on quality control, except it was apparent there was NO quality control. For instance: even though the spokes were almost the size of pencils, they broke regularly. Another instance: the mounting studs for the left carb, which should be at 3 and 9 o'clock as you looked into the port, were more like 2 and 10, severly restricting the flow into the left cylinder and making it impossible to balance the carbs and smooth out the motor. Nonetheless, I enjoyed it because my kids liked it so much.

I understand the older Urals shared the same casual build quality of the Dnepr, but the new ones are much, much improved. Still, if I were to buy one (and I'm not considering it at this time) I would use it strictly around town and nearby logging roads, and would never consider one for my only bike. The biggest factor in this is that I don't trust the local Ural dealer.
  6. princess jamaica

princess jamaica OLD DOG-NEW TRICKS

Oddometer:
    i had a 2wd dnepr for over 10 years.the only issues i encountered were from "operator error".parts were easy to come by,and a great support network-russian iron.i have no experience with the urals,but there are certainly more of them in the u.s.i only sold the dnepr to get a flathead cj-coming soon.
  7. Gummiente

Gummiente Rebel Without A Clue

Oddometer:
    In addition to better front brakes, the Ural also comes with electronic ignition, Keihin carbs, a Denso alternator, catalytic converters (to meet current EPA specs - something which the Dnepr does not), upgraded bearings and seals, better gearing, electrics and a 2yr unlimited mileage warranty... and that's only a few of the features. There is a dedicated dealer netwrok across North Amercia, a small one when comparing against the likes of Honda for example, but a lot more than what you would find as a Dnepr owner.

Mmm...no. As JohnBG pointed out, the Dnepr ceased production many years ago. It never came out of the factory with anything greater than a 650cc motor. The 804cc version you see on eBay is a poor quality kit bike, assembled with leftover parts and cylinder barrels bored paper thin to allow for Lada car pistons to bump its displacement. An 80mph top speed is just not gonna happen, with a Dnepr or an Ural. Not without a lot of modifications. The Dnepr 2WD does have some advantages over the locking hub of the Ural, but there's also a few disadvantages, too. Flying the chair on a 2WD Dnepr will result in power being cut off to both wheels... not a good scene if you're unprepared for it.

Don't be fooled by the flashy eBay ads (I almost was, but that's another story), get your facts from people who know Dneprs inside and out. The Dneprheads group on Yahoo is a great place to start, they can set you straight on all the ins and outs of importing, registering, maintaining and modifying one.

A properly sorted out Dnepr is a beautiful rig and fairly inexpensive to maintain, but it simply does not equal a new Ural for on-road performance (ie:cruising speed), dealer support, parts availability and warranty. Off-road, however, it's pretty much a toss up between the two, IMO. That's why some day if I ever get the money and garage space, I'll have another Dnepr for off-road duty while my Ural will handle the paved stuff.
  8. zenben

zenben all roads are one

Oddometer:
    Just curious;
    Are you importing the CJ? I've been very curiuos to know what it would cost to bring one in. There is already a CJ in our garage, but I'd like an R71 syle solo.
  9. princess jamaica

princess jamaica OLD DOG-NEW TRICKS

Oddometer:
    i am purchasing it from "scooter bob"in w.va.he is the importer and will handle all the paperwork.i should see it soon,and will fill you in on my experience and impressions.
  10. RedMenace

RedMenace Adventure Sidecar

Oddometer:
    Listen to chief Rider( hi Tommy! didja get snow?).
    [​IMG]

Dneprs have some design improvements over the old Urals- better drum brake set up, better TWD, better lubrication( pressure and external oil filter, at least on some models), but quality control is all over the place and the wheel design is flawed.

They make a good, solid sidecar to graft onto another bike or a good donor cycle for a BMW transplant, but otherwise are not the bargains they seem on the internet. Fun hobby bike if you are obsessed with Russian iron but kinda crappy for a daily ride.

You may find Dneprs that have been restored to better than new by enthusiasts, but those won't be the ebay bargains you are seeing. if you are looking at oh, say a 96 Ural or older, the Dnepr will be as good or better. But the new Ural will be way better than either. And still a Ural, with the good and the bad that comes with that....
  11. RedMenace

RedMenace Adventure Sidecar

Oddometer:
    ...and my Changs made Tommies Dnepr look like a Bently by comparison:rofl

pot metal carbs, unfinished wiring, lumpy wheels, imaginary brakes, brushed on paint and on and on and on.

But, damn, they looked cool, and started with a couple of kicks, even encased in ice...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. zenben

zenben all roads are one

Oddometer:
    That's really it isn't it ? The Changs just look the part.
    I like the leaf springs on the car over the rubber isolators on a Ural.
    Much heavier metal too. Though I imagine that can vary.
    A 22HP sidevalve that overheats when driven hard is not so charming,
    but they are pretty affordable, and the Dnepr 2wd drive can be made to fit.
    My CJ has reverse. Nice feature if it stays engaged in gear. :rofl
    Not that I can claim to know much about them... Got mine a week ago, and have yet to get it started. :D
  13. rtwdoug

rtwdoug prominent underachiever Supporter

Oddometer:
    a couple years ago I was buying bikes & sidecars in Hungary to bring back to the US. Always wanted a russian sidecar rig, & my friend found me a Dnepr M72 (flathead 750) in Ukraine (he has family there) well of course you cant bring it out, but he knew a truck driver, so he had it disassembled & smuggled out in a truck. After it got to Budapest, he & his brother put it together & painted it for me (I was on a bike trip for a couple weeks) Was a cool bike, but REALLY slow. I could barely get 45mph out of it going downhill. I brought it home, & rode it for a bit, but the slow speeds were a pain. I loved the bike, but finally got rid of it, as I was worried about getting run over. was definately a cool bike tho, and I'll probably get another. I'd love to stick a BMW or Guzzi motor in one.
    before & after pics.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. USMCG_Spyder

USMCG_Spyder RPOC pilot

Oddometer:
    That's a bad-ass lookin' rig right there :nod
  15. thisflatearth

Oddometer:
    Thats awesome. I started this post over a year ago and I have looked at it three or four times since the Hack sub-forum.

I just got back from the Motorcycle show at the Javits Center in the NYC and sat on all of the Urals. Im liking a white Patrol. They didnt have the green camo on the floor to sit on but I got me a picture on the Snow-camo.

I am really torn.

I dont have room in the garage and I need to travel at speeds up to 85mph. So I sat on the Uly and Vstrom and Bandit and about a million others. Someday when I get my second bike it will be a Ural.

sorry for the mini-rant.
  16. KCDakar

KCDakar What are we waiting for?

Oddometer:
    I got to see this bike when my brother and I went down and bought some Hack Tubs from you waaay back when.

I still have my M-16. I still push it more than ride it...:baldy

And I Still wish I had some of those tires you had on it!:deal
  17. rtwdoug

rtwdoug prominent underachiever Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey KC,
    were they Duna hacks? I brought a bunch of those back from Hungary, they were cool lookin, and aluminum, so not real heavy. also brought several Dnepr hacks back. Wish I'da saved one of the dunas for me, but at the time I had 2 outfits. I did save one of the Motokuli 1 wheeled trailers, some day I'll put it on something :)
    those tires are russian made, I had em snuck out of Ukraine also
    What bike did you put it on?
    Doug
  18. KCDakar

Oddometer:
    Yep Dunas. Sold one. The other is up in storage to be put on when my Brother finds the right match for it. It will be an Indian Scout if I know him.

I remember the tires. They looked MEAN! Would be good here on the farm for sure!

I remember the Multikuli too. I have something! Send it my way! :lol3
  19. McB

McB Joe 40 ouncer

Oddometer:
    Does it look like this one? :evil

[​IMG]
  20. KCDakar

Oddometer:
    Hmmm that does look kinda familiar...