Urban Adventures

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by kwabanza, Sep 6, 2021.

1. kwabanza

kwabanza Doing Honda's Bidding

Oddometer:
    I was born and raised in France. I came to Texas over 25 years ago. As the old saying goes, I got here as soon as I could. While not a true Texan, I now feel more Texan than French. I've lived outside of Texas too but I feel that Texas is my home. You can make up your own mind about it. I've pretty much ridden everything there is to ride (and enjoyed it!). After living in Austin and San Antonio, I now live in Houston. I live "inside the loop" which means I am close to downtown.

What better bike than a GROM to ride the urban jungle? Please don't answer: it's rhetorical question. This isn't my first GROM either. I have been a fan since it first came out in 2013:

[​IMG]

I enjoyed that little beast for a while and moved on. When the second gen came out, that old feeling came back and I just had to have one. So I did:

[​IMG]

Once again, love faded and I moved on. Fast forward to summer 2021 and there is a brand new sheriff in town: the redesigned 2022 GROM. Wow! I felt a twitch in my pants that I thought was long gone. I feel that the new GROM is a perfect commuter and a weekend warrior. So here we are:

[​IMG]
  2. kwabanza

Oddometer:
    What is life at 40 mph and under? Fun! There is lots to do and lots of place to explore in Houston. I don't even have to go very far. I use my GROM to commute. I have a 3 mile commute and no highway. In Houston? Heaven! There are downsides to riding a bike: the weather. It's been an extremely wet summer here in Houston. Have no fear: I have a cover I keep at work so that even when Mother Nature sheds a tear, I'm covered. Well, the GROM is covered.

[​IMG]
    B10Dave, popscycle and iatethepeach like this.
  3. kwabanza

Oddometer:
    Being from France, I love food. Everyone takes their food very seriously over there. And while I have simmered down, I can't help being who I am. I set out to find out which French bakeries are the best. Let me give you my top 2 (in no order):

Mademoiselle Louise. They are located downtown. They are owned by a French couple (who are very nice!). If you want an authentic experience, look no further.

[​IMG]

They also rotate their menu to some degree and you can find seasonal items which I think is nice.

[​IMG]

The second best bakery IMO is Magnol.

[​IMG]

Some of their items simply can not be beat and are the best. Bar none. Their chocolate croissants are insane.

[​IMG]
  4. kwabanza

Oddometer:
    It's Labor Day Weekend. Perfect time to get out and explore. Best times on the weekend are early. Downtown is like a ghost town.

[​IMG]
  5. kwabanza

Oddometer:
    Houston has lots of art spread around the city

[​IMG]
  6. kwabanza

Oddometer:
    Beautiful neighborhood parks

[​IMG]
  7. kwabanza

Oddometer:
    A 100 years war and these cheeky bastards are still everywhere. No I don't "fancy a cuppa" thank you very much.

[​IMG]
  8. kwabanza

Oddometer:
    I am planning on going to the Moto GP race in early October. I will be riding my GROM. That should be fun.
  9. Reconstructed

Reconstructed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice! Keep it coming.
  10. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    I miss my Grom. Never say never. I owned the city - and most sidewalks and coffee patios with that hooligan.
  11. James Cook

James Cook O.H.M.S

Oddometer:
    I have thought for a while, exploring the urban jungle might be a better alternative than being out destroying the back country.
    Here in Australia the outback tracks have been cut to pieces with the increase in 4x4's.
    Keep it going.
    RedDogAlberta and Suncoaster like this.
  12. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    There’s a whole culture of back alley wall murals in many cities. With coffee patios and food trucks I found with the Grom I could explore all day and never leave town.

I found the small package gets a lot of free passage like parking on sidewalks at bicycle racks. I rode a few times with a local scooter club and it’s a whole new world of adventure. There’s also a local club, the Edmonton Grom Gaggle. They routinely get 30 Groms out for inner city antics.
    Weldman, staticPort and iatethepeach like this.