1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Urique route.?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by antidrew, Mar 8, 2020.

1. antidrew

antidrew Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi all, I'm heading down to Copper Canyon in a couple weeks and wondering if anyone has any info and general what to expect for this Batopilas to Urique route. Is this the most common route, similar to tougher COBDR sections (Ophir)? I'll be on a KLR650 and a confident enough rider. :)

thanks!

urique route.jpg
  2. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That section is a beautiful ride. We did it the opposite direction last year and it took a few hours. I would equate it to a rougher Colorado mountain pass. No big rocks, or ledges, just loose gravel.
  3. antidrew

antidrew Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thanks man! I wasn't sure on the duration too, thanks!
  4. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    Depending on how often you like to take pics, it could take longer.

When you head north out of Bato, where you turn left to cross the river, you can also turn right and do a loop that will bring you back into the south end of Bato. It is also a few hour ride and extremely scenic. I think we hit some of our highest elevations on that loop. Google does not show it as a route that goes through. E32 does.
    antidrew likes this.
  5. antidrew

antidrew Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great! thanks for the tip on the other loop!
  6. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    This video has Urique to Bato in the first 30 seconds, it must have been pretty uneventful. After crossing the river, we went out on the loop that is to the east of Batopilas. Disregard what happens around the 2min mark, I am a 42 year old child. At the end, there is a auto bridge to the right that was under construction. To the left was a deep water crossing. I chose the foot bridge. Then it finishes at the gas station in town. It took a while to find it. It is a black metal door in a tall wall.

ntadvr and akaDigger like this.
  7. antidrew

antidrew Adventurer

Oddometer:
    lol! I've actually watched your video before, fantastic riding! It's good to know where this route is now and where to stop for a pee break! Didn't you guys have some dude lay out barbed wire in one of your vids too?? Crazy and thanks for the info!!
    Yinzer Moto likes this.
  8. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    There was barbed wire at some point. I think it might have been the day before?
  9. ntadvr

ntadvr Jason

Oddometer:
    I did urique to batopilas on January 2020. I was on a super tenere, solo. It took me about 3.5-4 hr. I did stop a lot for pictures. 9517642D-3917-4900-ACCB-A08541600A7D.jpeg E0409422-7553-424D-A82A-7870EF4B6AA1.jpeg 094255EC-0B18-4DCC-ADBD-34F94B328FA9.jpeg 10188990-16E8-4426-8530-830001FA5D30.jpeg 2FC4939B-5F06-4B41-9A68-1F6F53EB7998.jpeg 9517642D-3917-4900-ACCB-A08541600A7D.jpeg
    stevo7706 likes this.
  10. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    We tried last year, last March.
    Loose, Rocky and steep in from Urique River up, but you look to be going down.
    Even our lifted 4x4 truck struggled.
    Maybe it's been graded since?
    Every bike went down except 1.

Right about here
    Dropped pin
    Near Urique Municipality, Chihuahua, Mexico
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/7z2jj9GBrhy48vkP9
  11. ntadvr

ntadvr Jason

Oddometer:
    I was going from urique to batopilas. It was loose and rocky at the beginning. Just had to pick your line & keep momentum.
  12. HeadShrinker

HeadShrinker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That’s right where one of my riders crashed and broke his ankle, requiring a police truck rescue from Urique. We’ve got acquainted with the clinic staff members quite a bit over the years!
    eakins likes this.
  13. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    When we did it the whole road was baby head rocks for many switchbacks, then add a steeper pitch up and it was ugly.
    I have zero interest using that road ever again.
  14. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    Really? We were there a week or two before you last year. It was no big deal on the WRs. It would have been a handful on my R1200GS but should be fine on any 650 or smaller bike. We went up and down that road. Did you air down? We dropped to somewhere around 13-15 and it helped. I was having trouble getting far enough forward on my bike for the climbs because I had a rotopax with a gallon of gas on my tail rack. I was pretty much sitting on my gas tank coming out of a lot of those corners. Once I dumped that RotoPax in my gas tank, the bike handling was significantly improved. I felt it was comparable to Engineer pass in Colorado.
  15. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    We had big bikes, thus why I said not bike big bike friendly. AT, GS. There were a few pitches steeper than others and those loose ones coupled with fatigue did our group in trying to climb up to the top.
    YMMV
  16. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    Maybe you mentioned it not being big bike friendly in a different thread, I don't see that here. I know you own a WR, I figured you were on that.

Yeah, I would only try that on the GS if I was with other people. As it seems the OP has some familiarity with Colorado passes, I think he can handle it just fine on his KLR if he has done some riding over loose Colorado passes. I know a few people who would ride a big bike on that stuff without an issue but they are big people built like a line backer.
  17. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    You're right I did not mention that here.
    It was in regionals.
    I was driving support.
  18. ntadvr

ntadvr Jason

Oddometer:
    Maybe the only big bike it is doable on is the super tenere! Probably could not have done it if I was on a AT or a GS?
  19. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    :clap:clap:clap:clap:clap
  20. stevo7706

stevo7706 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I rode it a few months ago on a KLR after 3 days rain. The low water river crossing outside of Batopilas gave me pause but the overall difficulty was no big deal. I’ve read so many exaggerated fish stories about riding the route. It took me 8 hrs because I like to putter and enjoy visiting the campesinos along the way. Both Urique and Batopilas are worth staying and exploring the surrounding canyons and little communities. Take your time, don’t worry and enjoy this beautiful and unique part of Mexico
    Yinzer Moto and ntadvr like this.