Urique route.?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by antidrew, Mar 8, 2020.

1. holckster

holckster dougholck Supporter

Oddometer:
    It was nasty going up after crossing the river from Urique in 2012 like eakins said, glad I was on my DR650.
    I read a ride report where a guy went up on a GSA 2-up. Obviously a better rider than I am.
    ntadvr and eakins like this.
  2. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    I think the difference is going up from Urique to Bato or dropping down to Urique coming from Bato.

Like I said it was a struggle for everyone except a guy on a 690. DRZ, GS and AT all went down at some point. I was driving a Tundra with a supercharger and ToyTec lifted suspension and it was struggling for traction in places.

Sounds like that section was/is loose and steep in sections and mostly continual climb. Of course rider dependant but everyone tired quickly and made mistakes.
    holckster likes this.
  3. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Yes really, do you think I'm making this up?

You were on WR250Rs light bikes vs heavier beasts. I've been up and down engineer alot and this was worse IMO.

I'm presenting the facts as they happened to my group.
  4. stormdog

stormdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    This back and forth is why I hesitate to give route advice to people I don’t know.
    When I share my tracks of the canyons I always give a description of my riding background and skill sets.
    Also I like to point out that there is a big difference between going over a Colorado pass in your back yard and an equally challenging route a thousand miles from your closest friend.
  5. ntadvr

ntadvr Jason

Oddometer:
    When I posted the when & what I did it on, I was thinking it would be helpful info. Then what stormdog said is true. I have a tundra, live in Colorado have done many off road trails with it! I’m thinking, I don’t know who this eakins guys is. A supercharger & whatever that other thing is would not have helped at all on the road from urique to batopilas. I’m thinking WOW, should I stay off ADVrider or offer to teach people how to ride & drive trucks?
    Yinzer Moto likes this.
  6. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good points. Engineer pass is pretty far away from me but is in the OP’s backyard. It is fairly popular and I was hoping he had done it. I try to always be aware of others skill levels and try to give them something they can relate to rather than saying “if I can do it, you can too.” There are many people who have been riding forever but never actively worked on growing skill.

You make a good point about the doing challenging things in the safety of one’s backyard vs during a trip. That is someone’s personal decision to make. I try to practice and ride at a fairly high level at home. I have even had people make fun of me because I call it practice for adventure riding. That way when I get out to a remote area, things are easier when the pressure is on. I ride and practice few times a week (as long as weather cooperates). During this shutdown, I am trying to ride daily, maybe even a couple times a day.

I believe if the OP can go easily over Engineer, they will be able to do this road. There were no big obstacles, just loose gravel. Am sure it can be driven in a Subaru car without much issue. I have seen Subaru’s do Black Bear pass in Colorado. The fact that a truck had trouble is probably the fault of the nut holding the steering wheel.
    stormdog likes this.
  7. Yumajames

Yumajames n00b

Oddometer:
    Good info in the previous posts, thanks. Rode it a few weeks ago. Details in the video:
    MikeS, ntadvr and jonz like this.
  8. ntadvr

ntadvr Jason

Oddometer:
    I really enjoyed the video! Thx for posting it. I plan on heading to Mexico in December - January 2021-2022.
    Yumajames likes this.
  9. MikeS

MikeS Fur shur! Vamos! Supporter

Oddometer:
    South of the Border on the Minnesota Riviera
    I've been over the high road at least three times over the years. You need to ask in Urique or Bato about the condition of the road. It varies at lot, especially on the switchbacks on either end - from totally covered with nuggets to relatively solid with ruts. Last time I was there, the grader was on the road. We punted because of the nuggets heading up from Urique. If the high road is bad, take the low road, but you need a whole day because it's longer.
    Yumajames likes this.