US-Based Latin America Rider Rally

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by bananaman, May 22, 2008.

1. Nata Harli

Nata Harli Accidental Tourista

Oddometer:
    I have some friends who take a plastic bottle in their tent with them overnight for some reason. When they get up in the morning there is some yellowish liquid in it and they tell me this is great "starter" for a latte!
  2. Nata Harli

Oddometer:
    OK, what's going on and where the hell are you? I guess I missed something and you must be south of the border AGAIN?

I was going to suggest meeting up somewhere, assuming you would be coming from Madison. I guess I'll head out there all by my lonesome unless someone else will be coming through the midwest and would like to meet up.

My cell phone just went through a wash and dry cycle and I finally got it working again and promptly lost it. But, I think getting some phone #s would be a good idea. If I find my cell I'll post the number.
  3. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    You guessed almost right- I was in Panama for a couple of weeks. I just got back a few days ago, and right away took some horses to Green Bay. It's horse season for me for the next few months. That, and my kids signed us up for a french foreign exchange student. Until the date gets closer, I won't know exactly when I'll do my disapearing act. If I can leave earlier, I think it would be great to meet up with you and ride like the triumphant vanquishers of latin american taxis. Be warned though- my pig ain't very fast. In GS-speak, I've got the low-ratio final drive. For everyone else, what that means is that my pig can grunt but ask it to run and it squeals.
  4. Nata Harli

Oddometer:
    So, if you're heading out from Madison, that might be possible.

My plan is to ride north the morning of the 13th into Nebraska and head to Holdrege, on 183 just south of I-80, to spend the evening with friends drinking some homebrew. I'm sure you'd be more than welcome to join us or I could meet you somewhere in eastern NE and ride into Holdrege with you.

Bet my pig's slower than your pig. [​IMG]
  5. bananaman

Oddometer:
    Maybe if you would- awe, never mind. I've got nothing to top that dancing football-headed caricature of GS Diablo you dreamed up. Or is that Rjzinc doing his best LoneRider imitation?

btw, I decided to make my own damn espresso.
  6. GSdiablo

GSdiablo cubical farmer

Oddometer:
    I've got nothing to top that dancing football-headed caricature of GS Diablo you dreamed up. Or is that Rjzinc doing his best LoneRider imitation?

Me, dancing? Prolly not too likely. I have been know to pace back and forth while waiting for something interesting to happen. :evil

btw, I decided to make my own damn espresso.[/quote]

sorry I falied as barister:cry (I kinda doubt you ever get up before noon anyway:wink:)
  7. boyscout

boyscout sittin' down

Oddometer:
    Well it turns out I won't be able to make it out for the rally. I just got back from the knee doctor here in Cali. Turns out I tore my MCL and miniscus in the getoff in Bolivia. :cry I have 3 weeks to a month of daily physical therapy ahead. I'm going to do it here as the PT visits are about eight dollars a pop and well... I love Colombia. :deal

Hopefully, I'll still have time to stop by on my way home. It would be great to see you as well.
  8. bananaman

Oddometer:
    Bad/Good news about the injury and not being able to continue just yet. Bad because injuries suck. Good because (on account of this being a semi-polite kind of place where certain things are omitted by most of us so that those with wives and girlfriends don't realize their worst fears I won't say anything about what else is $8ish a pop in Cali, but if I could decide where I would be laid-up, well, Cali would be pretty darn close to the top of my list. It would be close- Cali, or this little town just south of Cordoba Argentina...)

And now for a special announcment to the thousands of FFs who're lurking on this thread:

THE RALLY IS ON!
    THE RALLY IS OPEN TO ALL!

I keep getting emails from people (aka FFs) who are too shy to post-up. We were all noobs once. Introduce yourself, take your licks, and bring us some beer. Before you know it, you'll be demanding your own beer. Otherwise we'll be sitting around a campfire (thanks to rjzinc's hatchet) trading lies, and you'll be sitting at home, or at work, wishing you were pulling Nata Harli's one good leg.
  9. rjzinc

rjzinc The World is My Home

Oddometer:
    The gals from Chick Fest are waiting for an invitation from either Bananaman or Antonio Banderas.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6683841&postcount=1
  10. cRAsH

cRAsH Banned

Oddometer:
    I think you've made a wise decision. But get out here before the snow flies, my friend.

I have some bad news as well. My dad has been in the hospitol for a couple of months now due to a fall and I've been asked to help out while my brother goes to Japan on a business trip. Sadly, it is going to be during this rally so I'll have to miss it.

Sorry gang. :waysad
  11. bananaman

Oddometer:
    I posted this over on the Chick Fest thread. Jeez, rjzinc- do I always have to talk to the girls for you?
  12. bananaman

Oddometer:
    :cry
  13. JJMSP

JJMSP Cervicalgia

Oddometer:
    :lurk

hmmm, going to WF08 ... this event would be on MY way back home ,,, if ,,, errr ,,, well ,,, I've got the time due to unemployement ....

Fear of high places? YES - but woudl not let that get in my way!
    Fear of riding alone? No
    Fear of Bears? Don't know yet
    Fear I do not know anyone there? No
    Fear my pocket book is low funds? ...

:dunno
  14. boyscout

boyscout sittin' down

Oddometer:
    Let's see. My room is about $8. My salsa lessons are about $8. Not sure what else you could be talking about. :norton

Guess I'll have to do more research.
  15. boyscout

boyscout sittin' down

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear about your dad. Hope his recovery is as smooth as possible.
  16. GSdiablo

GSdiablo cubical farmer

Oddometer:
    I insist you strongly consider this event:wink:. We need some WF08ffers to tell us how grand it was:eek1. Please makeup lot's of stories in advance. (besides, I'm gonna need help moving nata harli's tent into direct sunlight:evil)

sorry to hear you dropping off crash - looked forward to meeting you.
  17. Nata Harli

Oddometer:
    Fears unfounded. You are hereby directed to Rocky Mtn Natl Park for August 14-19.

Not that high
    Plenty of company
    All bears have been caged pending our departure
    No strangers allowed
    Cheapest fun you'll have all year
  18. Nata Harli

Oddometer:
    No way, Jose! I've had the park rangers rope off my camping spot.
  19. Nata Harli

Oddometer:
    boyscout and cRAsH,

The rally won't be the same without you guys :wave. Start making plans to come to next year's rally. We're having it in Bananaman's pasture.
  20. rjzinc

rjzinc The World is My Home

Oddometer:
    :super I'm going to get there early on the 14th and make firewood out of Nata Harli's shade tree. :rilla