US-Based Latin America Rider Rally

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by bananaman, May 22, 2008.

1. GSdiablo

GSdiablo cubical farmer

Oddometer:
    likes choppin, only a few minutes away from the stanley.. kinda looks like jack n. Nope, can't think of any worries unless the bushes come alive. come on people, this is once in a life time chance to meet some great advers!!:clap
    redrum redrum redrum:eek1 (elk only of course, the devil gets hungry:evil)
  2. rjzinc

rjzinc The World is My Home

Oddometer:
    Coffee locations in the Estes Park area who will be happy to make Bananaman's latte. :clap

estes park coffee2.jpg
  3. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    Downing 2 cans of 'double shot' in the morning can give you mental wood....:)
  4. Jean-Luc

Jean-Luc Throttle committed

Oddometer:
    Well, I'll be the 3rd to bail out :cry. Wrist is still kaput and I started a demanding job on Monday.

Sorry to hear about your dad cRAsH! BoyScout, congrats on heroically riding from Bolivia, Peru, Ecuador and THEN, when in Colombia realizing that you needed PT :evil.
  5. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    :cry

Only good think I can think is that rjzinc proved there'll be coffee close enough to give me the mental capacity I might need.

"Mental Wood." Hilarious, Mr. LR.
  6. rjzinc

Oddometer:
    Or right in Rocky Mountain National Park at:

Trail Ridge Coffee Bar

You'll find all your favorite coffee, tea and espresso drinks as part of the Trail Ridge Coffee Bar, located right next to the Café at Trail Ridge. Our espressos, cappuccinos, lattes, chai tea lattes, americanos and mochas are available all day. We also offer traditional gourmet, fresh-brewed coffee. Or, sip a cup of hot tea in a variety of flavors
  7. Nata Harli

Nata Harli Accidental Tourista

Oddometer:
    Sounds like my kind of place. [​IMG]
  8. bananaman

Oddometer:
    If you guys are going to be making a coffee run, remember I like mine half milk, half super-dark strong coffee, with 1 tsp of raw sugar per 8 oz of coffee. If you're going to be taking your time coming back to camp, and if it's cold, then have them steam the milk to 108 degrees.

And if they have any croissants, I'll take two. One with cream cheese, and one with scrambled eggs and ham. And cheddar.

And if they have any orange juice, I'll take some, but only if it's fresh-squeezed.

And some fresh fruit if they have any- how about a bowl of cantalope, blueberries, and tangerines. But no damn bananas. Maybe some apple slices, if the apples are nice and crisp and not turning brown or anything. With warm caramel or really cold whipped cream.

Thanks guys! You're awesome!
  9. rjzinc

Oddometer:
    LOL and if you are going to the Wisconsin State Fair - bring me a couple of Cream Puffs
    :rilla
  10. GSdiablo

GSdiablo cubical farmer

Oddometer:
    Who's up for some hiking? Nothing too serious but I'm gonna need some exercise.
  11. Nata Harli

Oddometer:
    Count me in. I know there's a fairly easy mountain nearby to climb - Twin Sisters, I think. Should take about 6 hours round trip.

Here's a link: http://holly.colostate.edu/~meso/twinsisters.html

Saturday's the only day I can't do it. See next post.
  12. Nata Harli

Oddometer:
    Every year for the past 6 years I have attended the Folks Fest in Lyons, just south of our campground. Without thinking, I reserved our campground for the exact same time as the festival.

I'm going to head down there on Saturday morning to spend the day with some friends who will be at the festival.

Here's the link for the festival: http://www.bluegrass.com/folks/ if anyone else might be interested. It's a very laid back, family friendly festival with great music (if you're into that kind of music).

I'd also like to do some hiking with GSDiablo.

If it sounds like I'm not going to be doing much riding, I'm going to be on the first few days of a planned 4-6 week ride out west so I have plenty of time to ride. And, I'm hoping this trip turns out a lot better than my last 2 trips - both of which somehow involved MedJetAssist.

Anyone up for music or hiking?
  13. rjzinc

Oddometer:
    I notice we are up to 11 confirmed/paid - great. :clap

What is the number of our camp site? :ear

Great weather in the forecast :clap

estes park weather.jpg
  14. GSdiablo

GSdiablo cubical farmer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]It's pretty clost to the "new" restrooms
  15. rjzinc

Oddometer:
    Lucky number 13 - Thanks for the update
  16. bananaman

Oddometer:
    I'm still not sure if I'm leaving Madison on Thursday or Friday. It's looking a lot more like I'll be leaving 5 AM Friday, with plans to just iron-butt it. Is it hard to ride 1000 miles in one day?
  17. Flyingavanti

Flyingavanti With the Redhead on Back!

Oddometer:
    I ran into Muleboy a few days ago and he was nice enough to tell me about this get together.

I would sure like to meet you all, if you don't mind. I have ridden in Central America some and would love to learn more from you guys.

The only problem is we had a little earthquake here and we have to have our roof removed, the rafters rebuilt and fortified and then the roof replaced. Do not know yet if the contractor will be out of here by then.

If an "Old" guy is welcome, I would sure like to try and make it, but if it is too late to join up, I understand!
  18. bananaman

Oddometer:
    It's interesting that you're thinking about coming, because we still have a few topics uncovered. For example, would you be able to give us a presentation about riding through disaster areas? "Disaster! To Stop or Not to Stop?"

If you're old... how old are you? NataHarli thinks he's going to win the Most Miles with Left Blinker On award, but I don't think he'd mind sharing.

Hey Nat- the signup deadline is after the rally is over, right?

regarding hiking and mountain climbing... I don't know... I usually only like to walk if the pig won't run.
  19. j_seguin

j_seguin Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Its hard to do those 1k miles in one day, you'll be bored half to death. I'm from Minnesota orignally and went to college in CO. I've done the trip twice on a bike, and only once in one day. When I got to my place in Colorado I thought I'd lost it. Took a couple days to recover.

Anyways looks like I'll be up there friday night for sure, if not saturday night as well. Nataharli you can get the registration money from my brother Charles, he's good for it. Tell him it's a slacker tax.
  20. rjzinc

Oddometer:
    I went over to the Johnson Outdoors store in Racine today and picked up a few items to pack along....
    • New Tent and floor saver
    • New Sleeping Bag
    eureka.jpg

The Kawasaki isn't happy about missing the trip and I am not going to tell it I'll be renting a VStrom.....