US-Based Latin America Rider Rally

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by bananaman, May 22, 2008.

1. rjzinc

rjzinc The World is My Home

Oddometer:
    And we would like to meet you. Hope things work out and you can attend...How old is "old". Join the club.....:freaky
  2. GSdiablo

GSdiablo cubical farmer

Oddometer:

If you can make it, come on over the divide. We will make room and have basic food ready for the late arrivers(if they confirm). no worries, its a latin " no problem" affair.:evil Old? we like riders who have been "around" bring your stories. Before I buy food for anyone... they should at least be current on nata harli's camping charge. (food will be at cost, for who shows up)

my plan is to get there thursday eve, but I'm traveling "latin style" so who knows:wink:
  3. GSdiablo

GSdiablo cubical farmer

Oddometer:
    regarding hiking and mountain climbing... I don't know... I usually only like to walk if the pig won't run.[/quote]

those of us who need to keep the body in check, will be testing ourselves on a hike. I would encourage Max to join, but maybe he is wants to wait a couple more years before he "needs" the exercise ; )
  4. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    As things are as of today some time this afternoon I got tentative permission from the relevant permission-givers (my children) to tentatively plan for a thursday noon-ish departure. Options, at this vague point (call it a blob, rather than a point) are fairly open. The questions remain: will I swoop south and catch NataHarli? Will I zoom West and help GS Diablo cook dinner? Will I meander around Iowa until I realize that it's some time later the next week? Will I get trapped in the Nebraska Forest?

Does anyone know if GatoGato is going to make it? Does LoneRider have any better handle on his plans? And what ever happened to Pilot? I think Pilot should give us a presentation, maybe something etched in stone.

A little Pilot story- there we were, Barb and I, about to cross into Mexico, when... Pilot called! Barb goes, Who's that? Let's GO! And I said, in a whisper, "It's a MOD!!!!" Barb goes, "Mod's aren't gods." I said something back- something I could hardly mutter in face of such blasphemy, something like, God is merciful, but Mod's decisions are FINAL. Barb didn't get it. All I can do, now, is pray to Pilot, that He will attend our unworthy Rally.
  5. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Leaving this Friday to stop by WF08 and then up to points North and then back to Latin Rally if all goes well. Looking forward to meeting new friends and good CA ideas. Adios, John
  6. RockiesTwin

RockiesTwin Dfrag y0ur BrAin

Oddometer:
    Hi All! Seems as though I might be able to make a day trip up and visit. Leadville is just over the hill and it seems foolish not to make a visit. Which would be the best day to drop in (pardon my Johnny come lately-itis).
  7. cRAsH

cRAsH Banned

Oddometer:
    :photog
    :poser
  8. bananaman

Oddometer:
    Snakes! Young man, your presentation will be on "Snakes, Critters, and Other Things That Go Bite Right In Front of Your Nose!" Thanks! It's gonna be awesome!

Saturday or Sunday, just give a rattle or hiss and we'll come running. I mean riding.

I can't believe this... but I can't come up with a good topic for you. Please come up with something topical, pithy, brilliant, or, to make us feel normal, how about just-plain-stupid. Thanks.

Excellent! You're already an expert at this one: "How to Get Others to Fund Our Vacations- oops, I mean Adventures (wink wink)!"
  9. Nata Harli

Nata Harli Accidental Tourista

Oddometer:
    FA, You're more than welcome, but I don't care what Bananaman says, I've got the "old guy" award locked up. I'll even bring a certificate from my doctor that I've been suffering from senility (that's what we called in back in the good ole days) for most of my life. In other words, I was already old when I was born so no one is taking this award away from me.

Proof positive -- [​IMG]-- That may look like an avatar but it's actually film of me from my myspace site.

I've been in Sacramento for the last couple of weeks and didn't realize you and Charles were going to be there. That's great news although the part about "he's good for it" ....? But I know where he lives (his mistake) so I can track him down after the rally.

Sounds like you two have quite an adventure coming up. For those of you who don't know the 2 Seguin brothers are leaving in September for their own trip to Ushuaia. We're looking forward to the trip report.

I'm leaving Tuesday morning and heading to Holdrege, NE, to spend the evening with my good friends who live there. If anyone else is going to be in the area on the way to the rally let me know. They've got room.

Wednesday morning I'm heading into Denver to spend the afternoon and evening with my son and his wife. Then, up early on Thursday and heading to the camp site so I can stake out my primo tent spot. [​IMG]

My GS has tranny problems and might not be ready for me by Tuesday but I have a friend with a VStrom who said I could borrow his bike for the rally. That's what you call a "GOOD" friend. Thanks, Alex!!!!

Just got a PM from aatc9988 and he won't be able to make it. Sorry to hear that but that just means he's got a whole year to plan for next year's rally. We should definitely put him in charge of something for next year. I'll leave that up to our Chairman of Put-in-Charges, Mr. Bananaman.

Man, that weather forecast looks terrific. Here's hoping the weathermen for Estes Park are a whole hell of a lot better than Kansas City's. Low 50s at night - that's what I call heaven.
  10. Nata Harli

Oddometer:
    Pilot?? Who let the cat out of the bag and told Pilot about the rally. I've been doing my damnest to avoid Pilot around here so he wouldn't find out about this. If he comes he'll probably qualify for just about every award Bananaman is handing out (except, of course, my centurion, or is that centenarian, award). I've heard "she who must be obeyed" has a lot of honey-dos for the 14th through the 19th for Pilot.
  11. Nata Harli

Oddometer:
    Here's the way the 1st annual Latin American Riders' Rally is shaping up.

I've listed names where I know them and some links to trip reports relating to Latin America.

Following are most likely to be there:
    1. Bananaman - (Max) Paid http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=302175
    2. Nata Harli - (Ken) Paid http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=303031
    3. Muleboy - (Mike) Paid http://mike2panama.blogspot.com/
    4. GSDiablo - (Greg) Paid https://gsdiablo.smugmug.com/
    5. Mrs. GSDiablo - (Elizabeth) Paid
    6. rjzinc - Paid
    7. vfrbest - (Marc Lemieux) Paid
    8. vfrbest - (Chris Lemieux)(brother/father?)(SON! - Marc's the old man) Paid
    9. charles seguin - not paid (but I know where you live)
    10. j_seguin
    11. Throttlemeister http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=313848&highlight=mule+trusty
    12. Rockiestwin http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=369556
    13. colomtnbiker (Rick) http://www.netoasis.com/2007mexico/index.html
    14. Mrs. colomtnbiker (Chris)
    Wish you were here: (those who have said they probably won't make it)
    1. Jean-Luc http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260655
    2. cRAsH
    3. boyscout http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=353151
    4. Gatogato http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=293648 http://www.journeyrider.com/
    5. aatc9988 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306017
    6. GSGoddess (Karen)
    7. Mr. GSGoddess (Udo)
    Unknown: (I'm not sure about their status)
    1. Beemerbird
    2. Tedweitz
    3. GaGeezer
    4. ontheborder
    Be sure and check this thread out for links to many more Latin American adventures: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=317793

Did I leave anyone out?
  12. GSdiablo

GSdiablo cubical farmer

Oddometer:
    just cause I'm to lazy to do a ride report (err, some of us have full time jobs, unlike our err um hosts...just saying ;) AAl (aka wife) and I are heading out from mpls Wed a.m. and are hoping to arrive Thursday eve.
    I've only got a couple of cell numbers(so far) and will distribute the list to those who would like to be included. Food, I'm thinking fajita's for Friday. Who wants beef,chicken,pork or road kill? Greg
  13. BobLoblaw

BobLoblaw Comfortably Numb

Oddometer:
    Another injured geezer bites the dust. I await instructions from Mr Bananaman for my assignment for next years rally. Have a good time everybody

I did however make it Prudhoe Bay last month so Part 1 is complete.

The Prudhoe Bay Hotel at 2 am (looks the same at 12am, 3 am etc sun just moves left to right)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  14. colomtnbiker

colomtnbiker wimpy old guy

Oddometer:
    It looks like the wife and I will be able to make it for Friday only, coming from western Colorado near Glenwood Springs on I70. She can be signed up to talk about 'Packing everything but the Kitchen Sink'.
    Nata Harli, I assume you will take our cash on Friday when we get there.
    I can probably pack some extra libations if they are needed.
    If anyone is coming from the west and needs a shop or tools when you get into Colorado let me know.
  15. Nata Harli

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear you and your better half are on the way.

Cash is acceptable any day of the week.
  16. Nata Harli

Oddometer:
    I was thinking that maybe we ought to combine our efforts and have just one ride report for our First Annual Latin American Riders' Rally.

What does everyone else think? Individual reports or a group effort?
  17. cRAsH

cRAsH Banned

Oddometer:
    You guys won't be able to resist posting in each others threads anyway, might as well make it a group effort to begin with. :1drink
  18. bananaman

Oddometer:
    Ok, she can talk about packing, since cRash is bailing. But what about you? If you ride with your wife, then you're going to have to embarass her. I'm thinking... something along the lines of... How to Cope with Irrisistable Latin Advances On Your Wife, but then I remembered that I was going to ask Ms. GS Diablo to give that one, in Greg's voice. (Greg has already agreed to swap a flywheel and clutch, and rotate the tires while he's at it.) Which means that you'll have to come up with something that will be unacceptable.

Get it started then, old man! With lots of pics Pics PICS!

Over in ride reports there are slo many new ride reports that I wonder if anyone is actually reading any of them. Oops, did I say slo? I meant to say so. We need a good title. How about, Using a Motorcycle to Meet Chicas! or, Meeting New Chicas vs Bringing Your Own? Or, What's better- fajitas or chicas? You see where I'm going with this... Lone Rider? Where are you when we need you? I'm not saying we need to actually explore meat markets, I'm just sayin' we need a good title. Maybe we can get Glen to lend some gratuitous some photos.
  19. Nata Harli

Oddometer:
    Sounds like we're leaning towards a group effort. I'll take some more suggestions for a title then get it going.

My Latin American Adventure Bike, Panamaanama, is having tranny problems so I won't be on my trust steed. A friend is loaning me his VStrom to ride and I'll be leaving Tuesday morning. I'll get the thread started by Tuesday evening.
  20. GSdiablo

GSdiablo cubical farmer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]Here's my cheapo storage solution. I was going to bring the Dakar but the pelicon's havn't landed as of today and I really love the big GS on mountain type riding. (who needs a beer?)

Elizabeth(aka wife) can handle about anything(unless its cold outside then she hides) so while I'm tearing down MadMax's bike, please keep her entertained:lol3