US Based Rider down in Marrakesh Morocco NEED HELP

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by tooofast, Feb 15, 2019.

1. tooofast

tooofast Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just got a call from my buddies wife, he was in a tour and i guess shit went down. He went over a guard rail into a ditch. They have him at some local hospital, very small shack kind of place outside Marrakesh, from the broken English/french translations its a broke rib or too and a broken scapular. The US based insurance company seem to be unclear how to get him from this small town to a bigger one in Marrakesh then we assume to Paris and home. They just said, get him to the big hospital, thats great, apparently UBER is not really a big thing our there! Has anyone got any feedback or suggestions on how to get him transported to Marrakesh? Im shit out of ideas.

Thanks.
    Dave
  2. nk14zp

nk14zp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can they rent a van/boxtruck?
  3. tooofast

Oddometer:
    Problem is the rest of the tour has moved on. once he was ok they had 4 other riders and one guide so they have pushed on, it was a 6 day tour, and he is in this smallish vilage. He clearly cannot drive so its getting some kind of transport to come to him and get him to a bigger location.
  4. scrubb

scrubb Master of Mayhem

Oddometer:
  5. Dracula

Dracula afficionado Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd say, try posting request for local help in the specific regional forum
  6. CCitis

CCitis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We all use this at work when we travel... https://www.internationalsos.com/personal-travel ... they provide support in unstable regions. You have to be a member but maybe they could do a quick sign up and offer assistance? Otherwise, I agree with others if he has cash or a means to pay for a personal car that's the way to go.
  7. Pleuelschraube

Pleuelschraube Loose screw

Oddometer:
    It's been eleven years since I've traveled through that particular area, but if there's one thing I'm certain of, it's that a local fixer/driver can be found.

I'm also quite confident that there must be some established routine of getting patients transferred to the next level of care/treatment.

Most insurance companies will outsource the patient movement/tracking to outfits like SOS International, who again might use local/regional agents.
    This should not at all be bewildering to a US insurance company.

I'd get serious with said company, and quickly.
    Steve G. and nk14zp like this.
  8. tooofast

Oddometer:
    OK thanks for the info. I'll talk to his wife and tell her to beat up on the insurance company and find a local resource.
    Thanks for the info, i just feel kind of helpless here so trying to help any way i can.
    Dave
  9. bluestar

bluestar sheep shagger

Oddometer:
    Byrdmando, Steve G. and Amphib like this.
  10. SgtDuster

SgtDuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    What's the exact name of this village?
  11. Bitte ein Bit

Bitte ein Bit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Taxi. I was in a bad accident and was hospitalized for a month. Between taxis, trains and ships made it back to Europe pretty easily. I couldn't fly due to punctured lungs (9 broken ribs, etc...) but had no difficulty getting back to mainland Europe. Although very very painful, the taxis were easy and everywhere. Google translate is your friend there. Originally I was transported from the desert in the back of a van of some sort. I was unconscious (in and out) for a few days...

I lived in Germany and had ADAC, and they were fantastic, but tell your friend to be proactive and take care of things $$ when he gets home...also, not sure how he's set up, but I had to charge my hospital bill and then get reimbursed from my insurer later...just an FYI. My bill was $6000 USD and used my VISA, my wife flew down from our home in Germany and she speaks French also - even then, things were difficult.

Be proactive, be patient, and make sure to get receipts and all billing statements...we were fully reimbursed from our American insurer.

PM me if you have any questions...

Erik
    drmiller100, Steve G. and neanderthal like this.
  12. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    That would be Regionals/Africa & Mid East.
    drmiller100, neanderthal and Dracula like this.
  13. gmk999

gmk999 ____ as a Rotax

Oddometer:
    Did you Call the Embassy. ? they are there to help in these situations
  14. tooofast

Oddometer:
    Looks like he is on the way to bigger hospital in Casablanca by plane now, things are looking up. Thanks for the feedback and advice.
    Dave
    knight, Steve G. and nk14zp like this.
  15. tooofast

Oddometer:
    Thanks, i have just posted there, appreciate the info.
    Dave
  16. sandsman

sandsman Shut up and ride!!!!

Oddometer:
    Any update?
  17. Migolito

Migolito Prognosticator and MotoYogi

Oddometer:
    Glad all is going better. However, what kinda 'tour' operator just leaves an injured rider to fend for himself...?
    Kamala, appliance57, stef75 and 5 others like this.
  18. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?
    At a minimum, the tour guide should have radio'd / sat phoned the base/ office for logistical support. They then should have sent someone to come and accompany him to the bigger hospital and helped/ made arrangements for his transport to Paris, where it would no longer be their responsibility.

I too need to know who this operator was so I can avoid them like the plague.
    appliance57, stef75 and yokesman like this.
  19. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    the care, transportation etc is what we pay crazy insurance money for.
    what is the name of the insurance company, dont want them to be handling any business of mine, sounds like a check cashing company .
  20. Bill 310

Bill 310 Poser Emeritus Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Another reason to purchase Med Jet or something similar in advance of travel. I have been advising Canadian companies on medical travel insurance for 30+ years .

I would not travel without a secondary way to get home on a medical flight beyond that which is provided by a company benefit plan and or a private travel insurance company.

Canadians are whisked home from the US as soon as they can be moved because of the ridiculous costs of US Health care. Once we are home our provincial medical picks up the costs saving the insurer money.

A hospital in St. Louis tried to bill our insurer just over $11,000 USD for my wife's trip to emergency because her eyes had swelled shut due to something in the air. She saw the emergency doc was given an antihistamine and eye drops and sent back to the hotel and was gone from her room at the hotel for less than 2 hours.

It was hilarious for me when the collections department would call me looking for the 11 grand and I would give them the insurance companies VP of claims direct number . All they wanted was my credit card number to confirm I was my wife's spouse. As if that was going to happen . The claim was finally settled for a little under $600 USD.

A more distant travel adventure your file has to move up the chain to get a medical flight underway and some companies are better than others at getting that organized. Medjet solves this problem, "admitted to a hospital or care centre ?" and they will come get you.

We also carry IAMAT ( I make a $25.00 donation)

https://www.iamat.org/medical-directory

This is a fantastic service for travelers

Is IAMAT a registered charity?
    Yes. We have charitable status in Canada and the USA. If you search for us on government or charity websites, we are also known as the Foundation for the Support of International Medical Training, Inc. in the USA and the Foundation for the Support of International Medical Training (Canada) in Canada.

• Canada: Business Number 11892 9231 RR0001
    • USA: 501(c)3 non-profit. E.I. Number 13-2613755
    IAMAT is a Division of the Foundation for the Support of International Medical Training (FSIMT).
    hitmanlol, Mass_Mopar and Steve G. like this.