1. eNewsletter Sign Up

US information for dopey foreigner!

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by straggler, Dec 10, 2004.

1. straggler

straggler Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi all,

I'll be heading over to the US (from the UK) in spring 05. I'll be touring around on a 1981 Suzuki GS250 belonging to a New Jersey-based friend of mine. I'll be travelling on a budget (hence the choice of bike!) so I'm looking for any information on cheap/free campsites. I was in the States earlier this year and stayed mainly at State Parks. These were great but could be difficult to get a place at weekends and some were very expensive, so I'm looking for alternatives.

Any information gratefully received.

Also, if anyone's got any spares for a GS250/400 I'd be interested.

Thanks!
  2. AntWare

AntWare Lost In Translation

Oddometer:
    Welcome Straggler.

Theres a fella by the name on Don Wright that has two books, Guide To Free Camping (East), and you guessed it, Guide To Free Camping (West).

You can buy used ones HERE for under a tenner, although you might wanna get the latest updated versions.

Good luck :thumb
  3. jlundin

jlundin Globe-Stomper

Oddometer:
    Hey Straggler
    Go West, young man. For the most part free camping is easy to find all around the West, particularly on Forest Service land. I usually have great luck finding free renegade camping, even right outside the boundaries of the National Parks. You just have to be creative, and open to pushing that bike through some bushes. Hit up service roads, logging roads, fire roads, and other unpaved roads and you'll save $10-20 every night.
    I imagine you won't exactly be humming down the interstate highways on that bike, so you should have no problems. Good luck!
  4. motozilla

motozilla Long timer

Oddometer:
    Be sure and ride on the RIGHT side of the road. :thumb
  5. Johnny Drunkard

Johnny Drunkard Todo utz Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Eh, what Ant Ware said...

You might also consider keeping the folks here abreast of your travels. You may get some free hospitality American stylee.

Sorry, no bangers & mash!

:D
  6. motojoe

motojoe Arrest Cheney and Bush

Oddometer:
    pm me if your gonna be near chicago, we have a guest room you could camp in. and if you camp from the east to chicago on a 250 you will want a bed every once in a while. When I travel I just kinda look for a little spot and camp, never pay to camp, its totally wrong in my book to rent a piece of land to lay on. Never had problems.
  7. straggler

straggler Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just ordered copies of Don Wright's books. They should be waiting for me when I arrive in the US (current guestimate - early May). In the meantime I'm driving a 16 year old car from the UK to Uzbekistan. It beats working for a living.
  8. Ingrid

Ingrid KTM_Chick

Oddometer:
    I like how you think!
  9. HighwayChile

HighwayChile greetings from Wa state

Oddometer:
    rule #1 if camping on the cheap, or freeloading, watch your fire, either keep it super contained, or none, you get caught, your chance of getting by w/ no ticket increases w a safe camp fire.
    expect no mercy if you have a dangerous campfire out west.

moon travel books are good, (the best are the original South seas, his motto, the more you spend the less you see)

I've ah borrowed camp sites in yellowstone , penticon bc, some where near manning park to name a few..... pack light, stay light.:1drink