US loop on 50cc advice needed

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Andyhorror, Dec 20, 2010.

1. Andyhorror

Andyhorror Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello everyone. new here at advrider, first post but have been lurking for sometime, just wanted to say that this is

a great site with awesome advice and better people.

I'm planning a 90 day cross country trip on my yamaha C3 scooter for the summer of 2011. have already made two separate week long trips in michigan, always in the middle of summer and with another scoot rider. i know what i need to take already for warm weather riding and camping, but not much expeirence with cold weather riding, and none camping.

I need riding pants, jacket, gloves, and sleeping bag to buy yet. dont have this as i've never toured in cold weather, expecting temps to drop crossing the moutiains. top speed is 40 loaded so i dont need too much armor just something to keep me warm riding and sleeping. preferably stuff that packs down and wont break my budget. long unerwear and wind breakers or heated gear? prefer long underwear type stuff so i can wear it off the scoot too. any suggestions on cold weather gear and decently priced riding gear would be greatly appreciated.

3000k budget for the trip or thereabouts leaves me approx 33$ a day. enough? i have my own cooking gear and im planning on cooking atleast 2 meals a day and all free camping.

anyone found a good company for a laptop car charger? i need a way to charge my laptop while on the road have all the other electronics covered for 12v car accessory charger

taking a pair of rollerblades with me, may seem rediculous to some, but thats what im into as well as rding. any ideaS on how to pack these? they've been giving me the most grief their shape makes it a real pain to load em. they need to stay dry.

Maps any links to buy good maps, been looking havent really been able to find any of the u.s.

anything im forgeting that you guys have suggestions for that would be great

thanks all in advance
  2. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't know what the output is from whatever little alternator is on a C3 but I doubt its much more than enough to keep the battery up and run the lights. any heated gear you wear is going to seriously affect it.
  3. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If I was riding a 50cc scooter I'd want lots of armor. You may not be going that fast but riding a scooter that can't keep up with traffic is extremely hazardous IMO. Also I doubt that that electrical system will power or charge much of anything.

As for riding gear, you don't have to spend a lot of money but get a jacket that is waterproof and also has lot of vents for warmer weather. Almost all riding jackets sold today have armor and will offer decent crash protection. Another option is to wear mesh riding gear and put a rainsuit over it in the rain OR cold. look around and you may be able to find a jacket in the 50-100 dollar range. Pants are usuelly a little more. Look for stuff on clearance after the holidays. If there is a Cycle Gear near you, go check them out. The local Cycle Gear has MotoBoss mesh jackets and pants on sale for under $50 each. I wouldn't worry too much about the brand, just get someting that fits well. I recomend Getting something Hi Viz like yellow so that you will be noticed by the traffic wizzing by you. For boots, I recomend some sturdy, waterproof hiking boots. They will offer decent protection and still be comfortable for walking around. Get at least 2 pairs of gloves, one for hot weather and an insulated, waterproof pair for colder weather.

Last, this may not be in your budget, but I'd recomend a bigger bike, something that will do AT LEAST 45-50 MPH. It will be much safer and a more pleasant trip. Maybe some performance mods to your scooter?

What ever you decide, good luck on your trip.
  4. Uglyprimate

Uglyprimate UglyPirate

Oddometer:
    Make sure your route planning NEVER includes the interstate.

You won't be allowed on.

Get caught and it's a tow truck ride home.

If you go in the summer time, your chance of needing heated gear is almost nil. Just wear another layer. At a top speed of 40, it's not like wind chill will affect you.

Rain gear is important and doubles as another layer if you don't just go with a good riding jacket that's waterproof.

Anything you forget is available at the next Walmart anyway, so don't overdo it.
  5. Andyhorror

Andyhorror Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i dont even travel on state highways unless i absolutely have to.

im thinking under armor style underoos, tourmaster rincon jacket, and matching pants, bright yellow rainsuit. i will be getting my gear in the next couple weeks and testing it in this wonderful michigan weather:rofl

ill be doing some testing on my generator to find out if the output is good enough to charge my accessories one at a time from a 12v socket. let you guys know

ive been traveling by scooter for 4 years now and i wouldnt want to do it any other way. its what i have its decently comfortable and it gets me over 100mpg loaded no cheaper way to travel!

any suggestions on an atlas? for a bigger picture traveling than my gps

if anyone is interested i have a facebook page for my trip this past summer mostly just pics search for: super awesome scooter time
  6. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Don't get Rand Mcnally. Their maps suck and are not accurate. Not sure what the best one is.
  7. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like the AAA maps. They have a decent set of roads on them for the speeds I travel.
    But I don't do under powered scooters. Sorry . You ride what you like. I feel I need to be 10 Mph faster than any other user on the road. It's personal, as in I get pissed when anyone gets on my tail. And I have been hit from behind while turning.
    But, people travel by bicycle and you have advantages over them , so go with what you know.
    How far are you comfortable traveling on your machine in a day? On a bike , that's fast enough for me, I find 300 -350 miles per day a good fit. I ride from early in the day until the light starts to fade. I usually only eat one big meal a day and save that for the end of the day.
    For me ,going west the best time for riding is the hour between sunset and dark.
  8. Andyhorror

Andyhorror Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i have bought rand mcnallys in the past and they are terrible and dont have shit for smaller roads. ill have to check AAA out and see how i like em.
    It is true that bike cant go nearly as fast as me, i forgot about that when traffic builds up behind me i pull off the side so no one gets pissed at me i have a whole system and have only had people try to fight me about a total of 2 times:lol3
    the longest that i was ever on the road in one day and this was with quite a few breaks for 11 hours and nearly 300 miles i went from jackson mi to traverse city mi in one day. that day was pretty rough but im good for about 3hrs on the scoot at a time and i could probably do 250 days now that i have have more miles on my belt
  9. klaviator

Oddometer:
    One great source of good routes are the inmates on this forum. You may not get that great of response in trip planning, but if you start a ride report a few days before you leave and give a rough idea of your route, you are likely to get more response. Although doing a ride report as you go may be time consuming, it has the potential of many rewards. You are likely to get route advice, and quite probably offers of free places to stay along the way.
  10. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    You speak of "cold weather riding" but leave us wondering by how cold do you mean. Planning to test your clothes in the coming weeks suggests you intend to do winter riding:eek1 correct ? Ooooooh ,baaad idea , living next door to you in Ontaireeaiireoeeo it is pretty awful out on the roads these last weeks. Not two-wheel weather at all.Nor camping weather. Clue us in on the expected callander timeframe of this 90 day trek
    I like your ida of the 50 cc scooter though, having years ago toured Europe on a moped or two .You have lots of time to see the country. I wouldn't want to do more than 150 to 200 miles per day though.
  11. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Gear that is comfortable in winter Michigan weather won't necessarily be comfortable in 90+ degree summer heat.
  12. Andyhorror

Andyhorror Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm going from about late may to mid august but i dont have any dates set in stone, it's just kind of when the rains subside.

agreed but ive never been to the mountians so i have no idea what it can be like. Im 5' 11" 160lbs i get cold pretty easily, id rather be hot than cold. i also agree that the roads aren't great right now but there are some that are plowed and clear that will allow me to get to top speed just to see how well my newly acquired gear functions. every peice of advice that ive read or heard has included don't take stuff that your not familiar with

i am planning on doing a ride report as well as a blog and facebook page
  13. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    So, it is really a late spring into summer ride.Piece of cake, no need to worry too much about"cold "weather even in the mountains- at worst it will be like a chill day in Michigan in late April. Bring layers enough to cope with something like that and save the rest of your packing space for your roller blades. Not like that movie Dumb and Dummer where they are riding on apparent summertime prairie and then climb up to Aspen CO where it seems to be midwinter. Just keep an eye on the weather forecast-- and "the rains" really never end, it can rain any day when a system moves through just like in Michigan .
  14. klaviator

Oddometer:
    There can be quite a temperature change as elevation changes. I remember having lunch in Colorado Springs and sweating in the 85 degree heat. Then I rode to the tope of Pikes Peak where it was in the 40s and people where skiing down the mountain. However, you will not usuelly be exposed to extended periods of cold. It gets cold as you go up the mountain, then gets warm again as you come down. The secret to staying comfortable is to have gear that you can close up when it's cold and then open the vents when it get hot. However, if the gear is truly comfortable in the winter in Michigan, it will almost certainly be too hot in the summer, unless the reason it is comfortable in the winter is that you have added lots of layers underneath. What I have found to work the best in cold weather is to put another jacket/windbreaker under the outer layer, then add lots of insulation such as fleece. The key to staying warm is to block out the cold air.

Another piece of gear that makes a HUGE difference is a balaclava. Just a very thin balaclava worn underneath your helmet and tucked into your jacket to cover your neck will dramatically reduce the heat lost from your head and neck. It's cheap and takes up almost no room in your luggage.
  15. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was going to say about your choice of cold weather clothing.....I wouldn't worry too much about the cold....just buy what you think you can stand for the fall weather temps....add a down vest, a fleece under your riding jacket for cool weather and if it gets too cold ride in your rain suit....like you say...if you keep out the cold air and the colder temps, you should be fine. I would buy a good quality rain suit. A two piece suit a few sizes too big to allow you to put all of your cool weather clothing under it. Also...you can get very inexpensive overboots for something like $20 that you can slip over your riding boots to keep your feet warm and dry. They won't last long if abused but at $20...they are almost disposable...IMHO
    I have a USB port wired onto my bike....would that work to power or charge up your laptop? They are at the Canadian tire stores, yes I know, you live below the magical line....but at a similar type store maybe you can find them. They are in the auto section where all of the plug-in fans and anything else that uses cigarette plugs as power outlets. They are $20 up here...so must be cheaper down there. Everything else is!:huh
    As for a map book.....I would route it out on the PC in google or similar and then transfer it to paper or if possible into your GPS.
    I would also buy a safety vest with flourescent strips on it to wear over your riding gear......just in case.
    Sounds like a great trip.:freaky
  16. Andyhorror

Andyhorror Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i think im gonna stick with a cigarette lighter type socket. itll allow for better current flow and a higher voltage that way i dont have to get all new chargers for my devices also.

the vest is a great idea i think that ill get one of those :freaky

after christmas im going to go to my favorite bike shop "life cycle" and pick some new gear up and make my new rear luggage rack and start figuring my new packing system along with the charging port. ill post pics of everything as i complete it and see what you dudes think
  17. klaviator

Oddometer:
    How about a tool kit? What are you planning to bring? I recomend a tubeless tire repair kit, some sort of pump, as well as other basic tools, duct tape, zip ties, etc.
  18. Andyhorror

Andyhorror Adventurer

Oddometer:
    good lookin out, yes i have thought of a toolkit here it is: basic tire plug kit, bicycle pump, extra spark plug, electrical tape, duct tape, zip ties, 19mm socket, 17mm socket, 14mm socket, 8mm socket, 10mm socket, 1/4 and 1/2 inch ratchets, strap wrench, leatherman, extra drive belts.
    buying new cables, new belt, new plug, and new rear tire and installing them and changing all fluids before i depart. also doing fuel pressure test, compression test, cylinder leakdown test, cooling system pressure test, and repacking all bearings. plan on doing all the repair work with the tools that im bringing so that im sure i wont need anything else. did i forget anything?
  19. ddennis669

ddennis669 Adventurer

Oddometer:

Have you reviewed The Adventures of Wan? :deal
  20. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Willys just mentioned cheap overboots and he is so right on that. I have found a really really cheap style of overboot which cost less than a buck a pair.
    If you go to any of the farm supply stores you can buy a box fulll of clear plastic overboots of the style that visitors to the barns can put on to keep their shoes clean and then discard after use.
    I bought a box of about 12 pair of these for about $20 a number of years ago and haven't used half yet! They are really useful as rainboots and in cold weather they block the cold air from infiltrating through the zippers, seems and lacing of riding boots and work boots . They fold up flat, being just stamped on a gross pattern of a boot. They take up no luggage space and can be re-used often and I carry aspare pair with my road atlas. I have used a single pair for several years .They do keep my feet dry all day even in heavy rain.In freezing weather they keep the toes warm too. If the sole gets holed from walking on gravel it doesn't destroy the effectivnes much. Just the ticket if you are out on the road and run into a thundershower or rainy day.There is no difference between left or right so you are never stuck with odds.