US loop on 50cc advice needed

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Andyhorror, Dec 20, 2010.

1. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like you've thought this one out pretty well. I would also add:
    -Spare fuse(s)
    -Flashlight (You'll need this for camping anyway) Get one that you can wear on your head, leaving your hands free.
    -Small vise grips. You can find these for 1.99 at walmart.
  2. Andyhorror

Andyhorror Adventurer

Oddometer:
    yah i have a head lamp but that falls more into my camping gear category, i also have a solar power waterproof flashlight that has been very handy in many situations. i do have a pair of small vicegrips that i could bring along. have you ever needed em during a side of the road repair? i guess that i could bring some bulbs along with me, as well as spare fuses there cant be too many different amp rating fuses on my little scoot
  3. xymotic

xymotic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've used Vice Grips A LOT and every time I didn't have em I WISHED I did:deal

Most common thing I use em for is tightening safety wire, or even opening or fixing fence wire or a gate. They are also commonly used by a lot of guys as an emergency lever or shifter.
  4. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I doubt that you'll need more than a couple of fuses. If the light bulbs on your scoot are common automotive types then you probably don't need to bring spares since you'll be able to pick them up anywhere. A burnt out bulb won't strand you. If they are not commonly available, then bring spares.

I have used vice grips to bend back a bent lever. I have seen them used for all kinds of weird stuff. Not a necessity, but they will probably come in handy.
  5. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    One other suggestion is to change out all glass fuses to ATO blade fuses, either the very small new design or the older standard larger blades....easier for big mitted hands to deal with. Old glass fuses are too fragile for anything other than well I don't know what but they are junk...IMHO plus the blade type last longer on rough roads etc.:deal
    As for bulbs....if the standard types I would use an old pill box or container to carry them in with a bit of tissue in each end to stop the bulb from bouncing around and getting damaged.
  6. Cosmic_Jumper

Cosmic_Jumper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Republic of Dreams , Bureau of Dubious Reality
  7. Paloma Paul

Paloma Paul Paloma At Its Best

Oddometer:
    Always prepare for rain........rain suit, shoe booties, covers for all your gear, etc.
  8. shezonit

shezonit just a few more miles,eh?

Oddometer:
    If you come to Montana, please visit here on Flathead Lake. Between Yellowstone and Glacier National Parks. (although getting from Yellowstone to here without any interstate is a challenge...) If you don't want to camp EVERY night, get on both Camp Space and Couchsurfing.com and line up some couches...
    As for touring stuff and keeping warm. I swear by a first layer of silk-- it keeps everything else dry and feeling good whether you are hot or cold. Baclava adds a lot, thin enough to roll down as a neck gaiter. I have one of those "Buffs" - it's thin, but covers an amazing temperature range, and doubles/ triples as a dust mask/ sunscreen. Rain? Aerostich triple digit overgloves are great- I got the thermal lined ones- very thin, but amazing dry warmth. And they look goofy, too. :-) Aerostich liner socks under merino wool or synthetic equivalent. Again, no sweating in heat or cold. I am now hooked on First Gear HT MESH overpants. They are truly all weather. They have a removable totally waterproof , breathable thermal liner that is great. So you can wear them in all temps, depending on what thermal layer you put under them. I have worn them from 30 degrees to 90 degrees, riding from Montana to Guadalajara.
  9. rcrampton

rcrampton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    May want a set of tires waiting on you wherever you expect to need them.

An AMA membership might be good piece of mind.

Have a great trip, wish we could all do it.
  10. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Scoots are fun to ride but I'm back to the "why the hell ride a 50cc scoot all over the country? Maybe you ought to bid a $1000 ebay bike and spend the other $2k on the trip? I KNOW! I could cover a lot of ground with a high mpg, low dollar bike in 90 days, or, better yet ride out to the rockies and just see some real backcountry with less miles and plenty of camping too. There is an actual safety reason for not riding a scoot on the open road & I think it's called getting home safely.
    Do your thing -thats fine( I'll stop short of calling it you know what), but my 2 cents.:ear
  11. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    Because he can!

Plain and simple....and if that was my bag I would too......you do what you do to get off and leave everyone else to their method of enjoyment......I have driven a 1947 Willys across the country and loved every second of it....yep doing the exact same thing....secondary roads etc, as little time on the super slab as possible...never got killed or too upset with anyone.

Your $1000 Flea-Bay piece of crap would more than likely end up in a puff of smoke on the side of the road or busted down in the middle of butt fuck nowhere....you get what you pay for......sounds to me like he knows exactly what he is doing and intends upon doing it safely.....so why the Bullshit post....he ain't hurting anyone.....except you that is...????:eek1:huh

So much for the Christmas spirit....eh...?
  12. Andyhorror

Andyhorror Adventurer

Oddometer:
    yah kentuck has a point my mom said the same thing why not a motorcycle. that was before either one of my trips that i took around michigan (she said she'd never seen me that happy) had a permagrin on my face for like two months. i think what i like about scooters is that they are naturally dorky so people aren't intimidated by you and they always want to make conversation plus riding that kind of distance on a scooter would be mega hardcore. anyone would have to recognize that. either way thats what im doing, so no worries about the others willys, theyll see.

ordered my tourmaster rincon the other day should be in after christmas tried one of the same style on in the store and it fit great. i also got a set of coolmax style thermals, gonna try everyhting together when the jacket arrives. decided not to get a set of pants too bulky, expensive, and honestly i would almost never wear em. i would feel ridiculous wearing full touring gear riding a C3

about the tires im goin to the local dealership here in town to see if they have a contact for yamaha to see if i could get a sponsor through yamaha for maintainance along the way. prolly a lost cause but gives me a reason to shoot the shit with the guys down there

HAPPY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE
  13. xymotic

xymotic Long timer

Oddometer:
    you guys are all full of shit. I'm currently on a $6k 600cc european dirt bike fun ride. But I'm just trying to re-live the fun I on a 50cc scooter when I was 20. I hated it at the time... but that yamaha riva was the best time I've ever had on a moto.:deal
  14. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I would also consider carrying some extra fuel. If you get 100 MPG then your range is only 120 miles. Everything is farther apart in the west. Add to that the fact that you are trying to stay off the main roads and 120 mile range may be pushing it. I would recomend bringing 1 or 2 one liter aluminum fuel bottles to extend your range at least a little bit. Even though you may be able to plan the trip with a 120 mile range, there is always the possibility of getting lost, or having to detour due to construction or a bridge being out. You will have much more flexibility with a greater range.
  15. Seth S

Seth S Will _____ for _____

Oddometer:
    my first ride 10 years ago was on a honda moped that had no brakes and it was around the college campus I was attending. That ride put a grin on my face from ear to ear and thus my bike obsession began. I looked for a moped for a while and ended up getting a 1971 honda CT90. I planned an epic trip on said bike and I did some shorter ones. In the end I did my first epic trip on an $11,000 KTM 950...but I digress....

If you want to stick to a small bike thats fine...the scenery is easy to enjoy when it slides by at 25mph....unless its Kansas then you will want to kill your self during the 2nd hour. I know you want to go the scooter route but I'd say be prepared to do top end work...that little motor is going to be doing a lot of work. If you were to say choose another smaller bike on the cheap then consider something like:

Honda CB 125, CB200T, SL125, CT90...yes all hondas, all simple, all great gas mileage, all good resell, all damn reliable, all capable of 50 mph.

either way have fun, take lots of photos, and travel as light as you possibly can...as in pretty much the clothes on your back and a sleeping bag.

:D
  16. Andyhorror

Andyhorror Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i was thinking of picking up an msr fuel bottle and i was looking at the rotopax for a little bit but decided that was probably overkill.
    ive talked to a friend of mine that does aluminum work and he has agreed to build my rear rack and sissy bar for me. that means i can get rid of the saddle bags, should cut down on wind resistance. mileage should be a litte better as well as top speed on flat ground:rofl

i have also been looking into getting an exhaust for the little guy. reportedly removing the restrictive stock exhaust nearly doubles horsepower, adds 5mph to top spreed, and is a whole new world of acceleration. just worried if this is goin to draw unwanted attention to me. i see riding a moped between states causing me some trouble as each state sees and defines mopeds and scooters under different guidelines. i just dont want the excess noise of a shinny new exhaust to draw unwanted legal attention to me. what do you guys think?
  17. klaviator

Oddometer:
    It really depends how loud of an exhaust you are talking about. A mildly loud exhaust - no problem. An obnoxiously loud exhaust is not a good idea since many communities are cracking down on noise. I'm guessing that your 50cc motor is not likely to ever be mistaken for a harley with straight pipes:D

I am not familier with Michigan laws on mopeds/scooters but if you are operating it without a motorcycle license I would consider getting one since some states may require it.
  18. lilolita

lilolita fahr mit mir

Oddometer:
    What a great adventure this is going to be!

I wouldn't go overboard carrying spare parts. It's a Yamaha. Bring a list of where the Yamaha dealers are (that deal with scoots) and you should be fine. It's the US, not Mongolia.

Put new tires before you leave and you should be ok for at least 5,000 miles unless you pick something up. You're not that heavy and you're not going to bring a ton of stuff so the rear tire should give you some staying power.

I highly recommend Ex-Officio underwear. They're super-comfy, wash out in seconds, and dry very quickly. 2 pair, or maybe splurge and carry 3. January/February is a good time to buy stuff because REI, EMS, and other outdoor shops have really good sales.

A mesh bag that can attach to the duffel or whatever you're packing your stuff in. Wash out your clothes at night and if they don't dry, stick 'em in the mesh bag. They'll dry in the wind.

A good sleeping pad. That's the one thing that my boyfriend and I have always brought with us and it makes a real difference when the area where your tent is has roots or little rocks. It also helps keep me warm by adding a layer of air between me and the ground. I'm always cold.

A midlayer jacket that is highly smooshable and not made from down. PrimaLoft insulation. It'll keep you warm in the higher elevations and after the sun goes down. I wear a vest when I commute in the winter (think single digits) and my arms are always cold and it's only 4 miles.

I second the Buff suggestion. It keeps the sun off your neck.

As for gas, the MSR bottles are nice (I have one), but why not just strap on a 1 or 2 gallon plain vanilla red gas can? Easier to fill at the station, it's got a handle to use as a strapping point, and it's a lot cheaper. The scoot will be more bad ass looking with a gas can hanging off it.

Have a blast planning and an even bigger blast riding!

Here's a couple more scootah adventures.
    http://scootercanada.weebly.com/ (2-up on a C3 across Canada)
    http://www.trackpete.net/ (Rattler 110 goes across the US and to the Arctic Circle)
  19. Andyhorror

Andyhorror Adventurer

Oddometer:
    awesome thanks

i dont plan on taking very many spare parts just mostly an extra belt as i dont use a yamaha stock one it will need to be changed and most dealerships dont keep stock of c3 parts anyway. i went to the dealerships here in town and they told me it would be 16 days to get a replacement air filter!:eek1

as for the underwear i appreciate your advice but that is not a piece of equipment i need to worry about (dont wear em) and i have some long johns will be getting some underarmor type stuff
    i have a thermarest i use it even when i go out of town and i know im gonna have to sleep on a floor. i wake up feeling better than the people that had the couch most of the time lol

on your advice i think ill keep looking around for a spare gas can but i don have much of an idea of what i can hold until my new rear rack and sissy bar are made. custom aluminum, its gonna be sweet!
  20. Andyhorror

Andyhorror Adventurer

Oddometer:
    im having a hard time deciding whether i should take my netbook on the the trip with me. i have taken trips with and without it, im not too sure if i want to deal with the lugging it around everywhere and dealing with possibly damaging it more than it is already.
    on the other hand i think that it would be somewhat of a hassle keeping up a blog and a ride report from others computers along the way. the idea of taking a journal for recording photos and events along the way is a kind of romantic one.
    i am having and have been having trouble with this decision. i feel that getting away from this comfort of home would be part of the adventure just don't know if im being starry eyed.
    i'am just going back and forth with myself on this getting nowhere. im hoping to get some ideas both ways and some stories of on the road both ways.