US loop on 50cc advice needed

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Andyhorror, Dec 20, 2010.

1. Andyhorror

Andyhorror Adventurer

Oddometer:
    got to do some testing today. wore my my rincon jacket on the ride to school. the temp was 42 when i checked before i left the house and the humidity was pretty high in short not a perfect morning, but ive been dying to ride. the jacket was best piece of gear that i was wearing, stayed dry and warm on the upper half. my legs would have been plenty warm had i wore the pants from my rainsuit. just need a pair of winter gloves, rain over gloves, and a balaclava i should be set.
    has anyone used the rubber gloves that they sell at aerostich? would they fit over a cheap pair of winter gloves i.e. thinsulates?
    im off to find a duffle for my riding gear:clap and spend some more money that i dont have. http://www.google.com/products/cata..._result&ct=result&resnum=7&ved=0CH0Q8wIwBjgU#
  2. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you live near a Cycle Gear, they have some nice insulated waterproof gloves for sale. I got a pair of Frank Thomas Storm gloves for $35 a couple of months ago. They are normally $50 gloves. Now they are on sale for $25. They are reasonably warm and super comfortable. They are not real bulky. I can take pics while riding with my left hand with the gloves on.
  3. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    Same applies in Nebraska - doesn't matter what the displacement, if it doesn't actually have pedals it's a motorcycle needs a plate and rider must have a motorcycle endorsement.

Now - I'll bet a lot of LEO's don't know the rules, and they may not apply if you can prove you are not a Nebraska resident - not sure.
  4. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    :y0! wondering if you could slap a small light trailer from HF on that yammy.
    Just saying....

Here in Kali, 150cc or more to be on our freeways. Also, better have that lic plate.

Good Luck-
  5. JimOBrien

JimOBrien Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I haven't tried the glove covers from aerostitch but have on occasion used nitrile gloves inside my regular gloves. Gloves still get soaked but hands stay dry and a little warmer. The majority of the "waterproof" gloves are not.:huh Water resistant yes, but after a hour they're soaked. I've finally resorted to KLIM winter gloves which actually are waterproof:thumb for at least 2 hours, longest I tested them. A bit pricey though and I doubt you'll need something that good for the time of year you're running. I'd run with the aerostitch covers. Might check motorcyclecloseouts.com for stuff.
  6. jimmesa

jimmesa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Check Walmart for these bags. I used them on a month long trip and liked them for $30. They are not 'water-proof' but still good. Jim
  7. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have tried wearing large rubber gloves over regular gloves. It was not comfortable. Get some "waterproof gloves" They may not be completely waterproof but you are doing this trip during the summer so they will be just fine. Like I posted earlier, stop by the nearest cycle gear if there is one nearby. Gloves are one piece of gear you really need to try on.
  8. Andyhorror

Andyhorror Adventurer

Oddometer:
    figured that the overglove was the cheapest way to go, running out of funds for gear and still have plenty of stuff to get. its time to get creative and frugal.

i noticed that about the bags when i got em out of the packaging that the bottoms were canvas. i have and old red pleather pizza hut bag that im gonna destroy for a bottom. probably just going to shoo goo it for simplicity. that should make for a sturdy water resistant base.

I've been pretty back and forth about getting an endorsement, plate, and specific insurance. just heard keys clacking furiously, no worries I'm getting insurance. on total ruckus.com there is a RR for a guy named wan and he didn't even have a tag for his and never got impounded, just got hassled a couple times. i get hassled at least once a year in MI.

theres some grand plans for the ole' gal when and if i get a decent job. consolidating the rear lights moving up the tag spot and bringin a hitch out from underneath. the plan is to haul a kayak for weekend trips put all my gear in it and not worry about luggage. someday

hopefully the rear rack will be getting built soon and maybe even a front rack. ill post a build thread with some nice photos in battle scooters when i do.
  9. Creation

Creation Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You need it all in WA im afraid. Same with OR.

Plate, Endorsement, insurance maybe not.
  10. Andyhorror

Andyhorror Adventurer

Oddometer:
    only if im traveling over 30mph on flat ground:wink: ill just have too keep a look out for the bacon. i'm going to look into the endorsement, if its not too expensive i might get it anyway. it would be nice to have, just cause.
  11. xymotic

xymotic Long timer

Oddometer:
    FWIW I have been pulled over a few times just to see if I had an endorsement. Twice when I was young on a scooter and once in my 40's on a dirtbike. I actually think it's pretty common for cops to try and snag folks who lost their driving privs and are trying to sneak one by.
  12. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    If you're going to go to the effort of a trip like this, you should really make the minimal additional effort to get an endorsement and a license plate. On a trip this long, you will almost certainly end up running into a cop who's annoyed enough with you to make a point and end your trip, probably by impounding your scooter. Why take the chance? If you have a license plate, you probably won't get stopped in the first place.

--mark
  13. Andyhorror

Andyhorror Adventurer

Oddometer:
    its been a while since ive posted but i havent made any huge leaps in my planning stage since i last posted really.
    ive got about two months to go before im going to set off. still dont have a sleeping bag, a rear rack, or any for sures that i have to put a new cylinder on the scoot (although im pretty sure i do). no worries on that front i wont be breaking in a new cylinder during the trip i have a good piston, cylinder, and cylinder head sitting in the garage waiting to be put on if need be. i am freaking out a little bit about it all, but i think that its really nothing.

i am happy about having built my charging station. i have a 12v outlet that runs a power inverter with one 120v plug and 2 usb ports. those three outlets can charge and power everything that i will have electronic.
    the usb cable still needs to be run the length of the bike so that i can have my gps plugged in at the bars (no biggie).

im a tad worried about the size of all my cold weather gear on the bike and how high above the center of gavity its going to be. if i dont like it i guess i could always mail the shit home.

i think that gas prices are goin to be an issue my budget was for 3-3.50 a gallon and now "they" are projecting into the 5$ range:huh. if it comes to it, ill be eating out of dumpsters i guess. i think that having been homeless will come in quite handy.

im so fackin excited and about the same amount of nervious
  14. JimOBrien

JimOBrien Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gas prices in the SF bay area right now are a little over $4.00/gal. for reg. I won't be surprised to see it hit @$4.50 this summer but I don't think $5 is in the picture till this winter. But what do I know? Just run with it and adapt to the changes.
  15. andmoon

andmoon Long timer

Oddometer:
  16. gallinastrips

gallinastrips Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would get a couple of those orange six foot flags to put on the scooter and go with very bright clothes
  17. mick

mick speedtrippy

Oddometer:
    A few years ago I met Wan in Northern Wyoming. I believe he crossed the U.S three times on a 50cc Ruckus. Great guy and he was having a blast.
    [​IMG]
  18. Andyhorror

Andyhorror Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ive read the adventures of wan a couple of times now and it gives me great inspiration to do what i plan to do. i wish that we could have been doing it at the same time so that we could me up along the way. also i have read the book that he speaks about very much during his journeys "vagabonding." this has also been an inspiration, as im learning to prepare my mind for the unforeseen
  19. Andyhorror

Andyhorror Adventurer

Oddometer:
    gettin pretty stoked about the date coming up. the sleeping bag has been purchased as has a nice sealline bag to keep my sleeping arrangement nice and dry.
    my rack has begun to be assembled out of 6061 aluminum. i didnt realize how light and incredibly strong this stuff is, its going to be great.
    now the bad news. rode out to my dealership the other day. after an hour of trying to get my scooter into the computer system. the bike went to the back while i got lunch at the bar next door. just as i was finishing a wonderful strohs and a burger got the call that the tests were done. i came to counter expecting bad news, and thats what i got. max psi is 230.4psi min 179.2psi my reading was 163.6psi not good. the good news, i have valve cover, head, and cylinder gaskets along with an engine top half that has just under 2k on it with very easy use.
    i thought that i was going to be terribly short on my budget but, it looks as tho i will be on or above!
  20. Andyhorror

Andyhorror Adventurer

Oddometer:
    set the date for june 3rd couple days ago. wont be long now.

Now that the date is coming closer and people seem to be interested the first thing that they ask me is where is my destination. they seem a little sad when i tell them that i dont have one, like i was going to the top of the mountain to bring down the commandments lol. Is it really so out of the ordinary to travel just for the journey?