US Route 1 ??

Discussion in 'Americas' started by x32792, Jun 10, 2019.

1. x32792

x32792 Cracker American

Oddometer:
    Anyone have the time or interest to pick up US Route 1 in South Georgia and ride it north? Mild adventure touring on two lane back roads, cheap motels and Mom'nPop diners. Open ended schedule - no rush and not in a hurry...I'm old and mounted on my trusty BMW R 1200 GS.
    SFCootz likes this.
  2. holckster

holckster dougholck

Oddometer:
    Not familiar with Georgia "Route 1" it but looks way to straight for me.

Come west and ride California Hwy 1 along the Pacific Coast before you get any older. lol
    Don't miss out on riding the Serria Nevada Mtn passes either.

Safe Travels
    Parrothead and knight like this.
  3. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority

Oddometer:
    I thought US Route 1 ends in Jacksonville. Route 17 looks more like the two lane back roads you are looking for on Google Maps to me.
    Roadscum likes this.
  4. x32792

x32792 Cracker American

Oddometer:
    US-1-map.png
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_1

^^^I too thought US Route 1 ended in Jacksonville, but in checking the map more closely found it turns inland and enters South Carolina at Augusta, Georgia. It then goes north all the way to Maine. Northern Virginia to New York city are reported to a bit rough and, of course, densely urban. Further north should be OK. Because I'm just out for a ride, turning east anywhere below NYC and heading back to Florida down the Atlantic coast is a very real option. It's all good. I have a credit card and speak many of the local dialects along the way...What could go wrong?
    Roqon, cyclopathic and Strong Bad like this.
  5. Wayward Gypsy

Wayward Gypsy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Route 1 will be a lot of urban riding with lights and traffic.
    Roadscum likes this.
  6. x32792

x32792 Cracker American

Oddometer:
    ^^Perhaps you are correct. Turning NNW after Augusta and going into the Smokies might be better - cooler and less traffic. I've been to where north Georgia, Tennessee and South Carolina come together, but there's still a lot up there I haven't ridden yet.
    tjzondrz likes this.
  7. Wayward Gypsy

Wayward Gypsy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That would be an excellent alternative. Ride up the Blue Ridge Parkway around those parts.
    x32792 likes this.
  8. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    I don't know your motivations for riding this particular road, but I get into the history of travel before the interstates. I've done this with 1, 41, 20, 66, 64, and some others, some only bits and pieces of or part way. Like railway and rivers, so much history is found on these routes. But like was mentioned, congestion can be a real buzz kill. I'll usually plan only a few days ahead and try to run parallel to the given route, navigating to other sights or interesting places and roads, coming back for towns or sights I want to explore along the route, avoid the ones I don't. I try to follow where it's rural noting the landmarks of a bygone era. For me it makes for more interesting travel then just staying on a single road. The influences of these routes can be seen far off the path. And I concur getting a chance to ride in my neck of the woods in WNC! I'm incredibly biased tho. Sounds like a really fun trip!
    Folly1 likes this.
  9. x32792

x32792 Cracker American

Oddometer:
    ^^I find the interstate highway system tedious and boring even on a big bike - There's nothing out there to see or do. When not in a hurry, I prefer side roads...the fewer lanes the better.
    scootac, Klinc207, Roadscum and 3 others like this.
  10. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority

Oddometer:
    I totally agree, as do most around here (except maybe the Iron Butt riders). Thanks for pointing out how it continues north of Jacksonville. I followed the Lincoln Hwy across the US last fall and found that in some places the interstate system has swallowed up the old original routes. Route 66 is a prime example of the Interstate swallowing almost all of the old route.

Best of luck with the ride!
    Amphib likes this.
  11. Roadscum

Roadscum Long timer

Oddometer:
    Agreed, especially in the urban corridor between DC and Boston. Very dangerous unban riding, may I add, with the commuters hustling to work then home. mid-day's no better. While I too find the interstates boring sometimes It's best to take then around the unban areas area at a far distance away.

I've ridden Rt 17 from Palatka Fl. up to NC mid September after the summer crowds have gone home, it was a pleasant ride. The wandered to Nags Head, up to Kill Devils Hills to visit the Wright Bros. site, over the Chesapeake Bay Tunnel Bridge, across the Delaware Bay on the Lewes-Cape May Ferry. Being a former Jersey boy I enjoy the slooow slog up through the barrier island/resort towns stopping for as many Philly Steaks as I can eat. I'd then give NYC to Boston a wide birth. Maybe the NY freeway to RT 84, to the Taconic Parkway(no trucks allowed & a very nice ride) to Troy NY the RT 7 East to 9 then at Monroe VT north on RT 100 a really nice ride... detour though Stowe VT and ride smugglers pass, Nut'n like it in the East. If you set on riding the New England coast at Albany take the Mass Pike east.

Paul
    x32792 likes this.
  12. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    You get bored and quit. US-1 is must do in south of Miami through keys, Maine, but it's like US-50 there's a reason no one has done it (actually I met a lady who had done it full.. on bicycle) it's just not worth it.

Get yourself a Rand McNally and plan more exiting trip. Blue Ridge parkway is only a few hours west and there are some very exciting alternatives through Pennsylvania, Catskills and Vermont. Pick US"1 when you get to Maine it's beautiful there in fall. And trust me you would need a dictionary in some places [emoji38]
    Roadscum, x32792 and Amphib like this.
  13. x32792

x32792 Cracker American

Oddometer:
    ^^Been to Key West and to Maine - Lobsters here, lobsters there. It's all good.
    Roadscum likes this.
  14. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    VT-100 is your road in Vermont. NY-30 Through Adirondacks is ok especially in the fall. Southern part of NY-30 through Catskills and NE PA are just wonderful put Google Maps on avoid highways and enjoy!
    x32792 likes this.
  15. Roadscum

Roadscum Long timer

Oddometer:
    I lived in the Rhinebeck/Kingston area of NY for 38 years and agree. Some of the best roads in the NE are in the Catskills. Rt 30 N. from East Branch to RT 28 was one of my favorites, as was 23A from Palenville to Grand Gorge at the junction of RT 30. # 1 on my list was 47 from Grahamsville and Big Indian.

Lobster. OH yeh! I prefer the cold water lobster of Maine to the stuff from the warm waters off the Keys. As a young dude a buddy and I'd camp on the beach in the keys at Long Key State Park, for two weeks in March, along with our Sunfish boats. When we weren't sailing we did a bit of snorkeling to pick a fresh lobster or two...… .

Paul
    cyclopathic and x32792 like this.
  16. White mt guy

White mt guy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't know about south of D.C., but north of it is brutal with traffic , lights, intersections, and generally slow as shit, especially from Rhode island to three quarters of the way up Maine.
    x32792 likes this.
  17. Schmokel

Schmokel Long timer

Oddometer:
    I took RT1 for my trip to Campobello Island. Would not recommend. Like others have said, lots of lights and traffic.
    x32792 likes this.
  18. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    Rt 1 in DC/northern Va is a horendous traffic infested redlight district, if you catch it at the wrong time in the wrong place during the week or the weekend and it'll take you 30 minutes to go 3 miles. I'd skip it.
    cyclopathic likes this.
  19. x32792

x32792 Cracker American

Oddometer:
    ^^The feedback from the collective has convinced me to go somewhere else for a ride. Thanks to all for your input.
  20. pnoman

pnoman Just Average

Oddometer:
    Maybe get on Rt 220 at the NC/SC border and take it up to the PA/NY line where it ends. You would miss a lot of the big cities and traffic. Lots of great riding and scenery, too!