US Westcoast Trip

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Nils K, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Nils K

Nils K Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey,

I'm totally new. Hope this is the right Thread. Just found this Forum Online.

I'm Nils 20years old from Germany. My dad and me always dreamed about doing a motorcycle trip together. Now it's just a few days away from coming reality.

We will start in the end of July from Seattle.
    My dad is renting a bike with eagle riders while I'm planning to buy a bike and sell it after in the south where ever we end (we have 4 weeks time).

So I'm really open for every tip for travelling with Motorcycles on the Westcoast :)

Ride Safe ✌
    hound dogger likes this.
  2. Motomantra

Motomantra Registered Lurker

Oddometer:
    Motor homes scatter the coast highway. Usually cooler on the coast, hot inland. Anticipate slower miles per day than you might think.
    Nils K likes this.
  3. LetItRoll

LetItRoll ForwardAholic

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a great adventure, what kind of bikes, and what expected mix of pavement/dirt are you planning. Have fun.
    Nils K likes this.
  4. Nils K

Nils K Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll definitely keep that in mind :) Thanks!
  5. Nils K

Nils K Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So I'm riding since im 15. Definitely more a race boy, never really left the paved ground. But I'm really open for some new experiments.
    Since my dad hasn't been on a bike for a little longer I would definitely think to stay on paved in most of the time is better.
    My dad is renting a BMW GS 1200
    I'm honstely not sure yet and pretty much open for every kind of bike. I'm thinking about buying from a dealer or private. I just have to make sure I can register the bike on my own and get insurance as a foreign. I think if I would buy from a dealer it would be a little easier because they could take care.

My Budget is somewhere in between 5000-8000$ for the Bike.
    I got experience on Racing Bikes and Naked Bikes, drove a harley before but not really my style.
    My dad is gray haired and against camping so we will go with Motels or AirBnBs I think
  6. LetItRoll

LetItRoll ForwardAholic

Oddometer:
    Sounds like fun, lots to see out there. With a 1200GS at least it will be possible to cut across a good dirt road somewhere if the situation calls for it. Sounded like your mostly staying on the West coast?
  7. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a great time - I'm in Olympia (Washington State's capitol city - about 60 miles south of Seattle) and I'd be happy to help you scout for a bike between here and Seattle. I'm sending you a private message here, but if you don't see it (or can't figure out how to use that feature being new here) just reply here in the thread and we can get in touch some other way.
    cheers -
    josh
    knight and Nils K like this.
  8. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    With four weeks in the US you will have lots of time for wandering around inland states too ,not just " the coast "
    Get into all those mountain and desert states doing a big zigzag and crisscross tour . Pick the wiggly state and US highway numbers on the map and you have less chance of running into rolling roadblocks of slow motor homes .Those usually are heading for the most well known ,busy, tourist attracting sites .
    North Rim of Grand Canyon has fewer tourists , Canyon de Chelly is not hectic , Monument Valley is THE image most people have of the Wild West , Death Valley in summer is an experience , carry water!, Colorado Rockies are " cool"
    . Of course the rental company will supply maps and route recommendations for pop on the BMW .
    bdesj and Nils K like this.
  9. Nils K

Nils K Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah we will stick to the westcoast but are opened to cut into the inland from time to time :)
    Pretty sure the GS is good for some dirt depends mostly on what kind of bike I'm going to buy
  10. Nils K

Nils K Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the recommendations. Awesome I'll definitely keep that in mind
  11. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    You should consider renting a bike too.

The buying process can be quick if you do your homework and find some potential bikes before you get here, but registration and insurance as a non resident can be a hassle. Search for many, many threads on the topic here. Some states make it nearly impossible to register a vehicle without proof of address. Others want a local license, etc. etc.. Check what the requirements are in Washington state before buying a bike. The used bike market is not exactly hopping here. That's great when you are buying but not so good if you need to sell the bike in a hurry. Look at the places you are likely to end up and see what's for sale and for how much. Also, check how long those ads have been up for sale. I see some bikes here linger on Craigslist for months. With only 4 weeks, it might be a lot more hassle than you think to sell at the end of the trip. Or you'll get a lot less than you expect, which might make renting a better option.

Gustavo
    tlub likes this.
  12. RRF

RRF Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Watching this thread since I wanna do the same trip next year, Seattle to San Diego on an Eaglerider rental.
  13. tlub

tlub Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    As Gustavo said, be very very sure of your bike with regards to selection, registration and insurance. Not easy as a non resident.
    And as a start for routing, try Google maps with the 'avoid highways' option, which means avoid interstates, and then improvise from there. In some parts of the west, interstates are the only option, and even bicycles can use them. Be flexible in your routing. Remember it's a big country.
  14. slowriding

slowriding Dopeless Hope Fiend Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nils, are you wanting suggestions for, places to visit or roads to ride? You have selected the best area to visit, the west coast, there are amazing National Parks, (they will be crowded), beautiful coastline, and the best motorcycle roads are in the Sierra mountains that separate the states of California and Nevada.
    And, if you like to ride fast, radar detectors are legal in the area you will be traveling and easy to buy online. I use one and always wish I had it when I ride in Europe.
  15. usgser

usgser Long timer

Oddometer:
    With only 4 weeks for your trip and you're planning this starting a couple weeks? Rent a bike with your dad. In WA and most states you WILL need proof of residency to title/register/plate a bike. A dealer just gives you the purchase paperwork. The legal title comes later from the State and gets mailed to the new owners residence address the dealer gives to the state. Yeah renting a bike for 4 weeks is expensive. So is flying to the US and pissing away your 4 weeks shopping for, getting you and the bike legal while "hoping" to resell it later.
  16. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm not going to disagree that renting may be more logical than buying, but the OP says he's 20. Is renting an option? I know for many if not all car rental agencies it would not be.

Just checked EagleRider's FAQ and it says in big letters "must be 21"....

Screen Shot 2019-07-14 at 12.18.19 PM.png

edit to add:

Motoquest policy page says the same.
  17. Nils K

Nils K Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah the problem with renting is the age. I tried basically every company.

I'm pretty free with selling. I will try to offer it online right after I bought and just post it in multiple states in the south. And then just hope :)

So I have to try to register the bike.
    Luckily I have szurszweski who is really trying to help me :)
  18. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    Riding the coast always makes a great trip. You might also head inland to the Sierra, you definitely have enough time. The passes starting with Tioga (starts on the West with Yosemite and ends in a little town called LeeVining on the east side of the mountains). and heading north are all great fun and beautiful. Look at a map and you’ll see the roads crossing, the one I wouldn’t ride is the I80
    Nils K likes this.
  19. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't want to take over your thread, @Nils K , but I will say it's maybe time to move from here in ride planning and start a thread in ride reports. I suggest your trip will fit in well to the "epic" section - you can find it here:

https://advrider.com/f/forums/ride-reports-epic-rides.99/

Earlier today I mentioned the tent space thread - you can check that out here:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/tent-space-map.776925/

there's a link to the map I talked about in the first post.

Anyway, like I said, I don't want to take over your thread, so I'm not going to say anything about today...but I will post a few pics I happened to snap.

Bike 1
    IMG_7556.jpg
    a quick ferry trip
    IMG_7561.jpg
    Bike 2
    IMG_7564.jpg
    Bike 3
    IMG_7565.jpg

...feel free to draw your own conclusions...
    Little Bike, Nils K and Gustavo like this.
  20. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    ...or maybe I’ll draw the outline at least...

08027A81-7D6E-48A0-B4CC-AC74DF796ACD.jpeg
    Treesmacker-MN and Nils K like this.