Usa Tor

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by RC Pilot, May 3, 2010.

1. David R

David R I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer:
    IMG_3522.jpg
    Route 100. VT
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  2. David R

Oddometer:
    IMG_3518.jpg
    BlueM00se, MrMac and CavReconSGT like this.
  3. MAN OF BLUES

MAN OF BLUES COG #5977 EX-TECH EDITOR

Oddometer:
    Cool area, only been there once in my life, mannnny years ago, in mid winter.. in a 4x4 truck... during a blizzard..
    always want to return there on 2 wheels.
  4. David R

Oddometer:
    It was some awesome riding. We crossed the green mountain forest twice. Took the Essex ferry back to NY. Now having dinner in lake Placid.

Look, a barge on a barge
    IMG_3526.jpg
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  5. Donreid

Donreid Dirtwing

Oddometer:
    Do you have gps coordinates for him
  6. 2up ADV

2up ADV Nature’s Neat Supporter

Oddometer:
    We were up there last year on route 15 through Stowe on our way to Mount Washington. GPS Coordinates will be helpful.
  7. ryder1

ryder1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Went to the EmersonMotoWorks website and it says that Dave passed away in 2011. There is no address of where this place is.

@David R
  8. David R

Oddometer:
    VT-100 & Liberty Hill Rd
    Pittsfield, VT 05762
    https://goo.gl/maps/h4m3yJg5mx4P9kdW6

I hope this does it.

I picked nutzy up once in NY and left him in NY once. I don’t know if he has been to VT. One time I left my brothers place in Boston MA headed for CT to leave nutzy there. A huge storm rolled up the coast is as I was leaving, so I went straight back to NY and missed most of the storm. I also picked him up in NH.

So I have had him 3 times. ....So far.
    2up ADV and swrpres like this.
  9. RichBeBe

RichBeBe All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer:
    Got

IMG_20200725_155025113.jpg IMG_20200725_154959838.jpg

BTW One thing I learned today never ask @David R for directions or a GPS. His Google Map Address was 8 miles of road or 4.5 miles of fun not taking a Goldwing down it seasonal road. Took me a bit to find as I came south on 107 and looked for a good half hour or more for it. But in the end I found it by asking in a gas station.
    View attachment 2446858
    pir8liner, Wreckster and MrMac like this.
  10. 2up ADV

2up ADV Nature’s Neat Supporter

Oddometer:
  11. David R

Oddometer:
    I apologies for poor directions. The pin looks like where I dropped it. Glad you got it. Nutzy is on a new adventure.

I went south on 100 from Hancock. Drove till I saw the drop.

Have a safe ride today.

David and Laurie
  12. RichBeBe

Oddometer:
    I think being busier than I thought and oppressive heat means he may be going on a short one. I may just drop him local to me today.
  13. RichBeBe

Oddometer:
    New tag
    IMG_20200728_090305837.jpg
    Hint
    IMG_20200728_085938566_HDR.jpg
    Nutsy is up here

IMG_20200728_090220384.jpg
    There are three corners, he is the top where these two meet
    IMG_20200728_090030240_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200728_090235254_HDR.jpg IMG_20200728_090235254_HDR.jpg
    BTW ride the entire road from whichever side you come from. It is my favorite road in the Catskills.

Attached Files:

14. ssevy

ssevy retired and riding the backroads

Oddometer:
    When I was about 10 years old, I spent a weekend with my cousin’s family near there. We ate at a commune in Big Indian that grew their own beef, and made fresh squeezed lemonade. I’ll always remember that meal.
    Great road, and an inspired choice for placing this tag!
  15. ssevy

Oddometer:
    IMG_1469.jpg
    gulfcoaster and pir8liner like this.
  16. David R

Oddometer:
    YeeeHaaaa!
  17. ssevy

Oddometer:
    Thanks for such a great location. Today was an absolutely perfect day to ride! Weather was awesome, traffic in the Catskills was non-existent, and I discovered some great new roads, and re-rode some of my favorites.
    New gems:
    Rt.42 from Lexington to Shandaken - the temperature in the notch was at least 10 degrees cooler than at the base. I don't know how I have missed this road in the past? Beautiful pavement too.
    Little Red Kill Rd. and Big Red Kill Rd. to Denver - I took a chance on these, as the terrain looked great, and it was. Then onto 36 and then Scudder Hill Rd. to get back to 30. All were awesome!

Old favorites:
    Cold Spring RD. to W Settlement Rd. to Roxbury Mtn. Rd. to Narrow Notch Rd. to Township Rd. into Hobart. Gorgeous views and elevation changes and no traffic!
    Barnerville Rd. to Grovenors Corners Rd. to Lykers Rd. to Corbin Hill Rd. to 30A to Hughes Rd. to 161 and then back to 30. Again, amazing views, etc., and no traffic.

The roads I traveled today in the Catskills were nearly empty. I think there are so many more private camps in the Adirondacks, as well as water which attracts lots of people. I did see lots of cars at some of the Catskill trailheads, but nothing compared to the summer influx in the Adirondacks. The road surfaces were mostly good today as well, and the Catskills are every bit as beautiful as the Adirondacks, just in a different way. I was about 286 miles round trip for the day, so I really need to do some more exploring there, as it makes a perfect distance for a day ride.

New location early next week, as he needs to move north and east a bit I think.
  18. ssevy

Oddometer:
    I almost forgot - I saw this hawk in the road near Blenheim, and he didn’t fly when I went by, so I did a U-turn to see if he was injured. As I was getting off my bike on the shoulder, a car passed right over him and he never moved.
    As I approached, he finally flew up to this sign:
    IMG_1468.jpg

Anyone know if he is a juvenile large hawk or a full grown small hawk?
    His right foot looked deformed but not bloody or recently injured.
  19. RichBeBe

Oddometer:
    Glad you enjoyed it...I had a family and then my own place in the Dacks for almost 35 years and living in NYC spent a lot of time and roads in the Catskills. IMO the Catskills has better roads, as there are so many more roads and because of that, there are less cars on them.
    If you ever want to explore more of the Catskills reach out for some route ideas.
    ssevy likes this.
  20. MAN OF BLUES

MAN OF BLUES COG #5977 EX-TECH EDITOR

Oddometer:
    By the look of what tail feathers visible in the photo, I would judge it as a Juvenile red tail Hawk, also the dark patches below the eyes, and the actual amount and height on the body the frontal variegated colors are seen.. when fully mature, the frontal feathers lower, and create a kind of belly band of darker ones.. but closely growing to the mature stage.... as for the foot, many different things happen to animals, if a Hawk takes on an animal for food, it could be bitten, and infected (i.e. opposum / Raccoon, House cat, etc.) and the loss of the toes would result. Hawks do fight each other tho, and I would think that as the cause... or, could simply be a birth defect, but not likely.. cool pic tho, marvelous birds, I have a couple in my woods in Ohio, that regularly visit me..

adult
    [​IMG]

juvi hawk
    [​IMG]
    MrMac likes this.