USA Trip Planning Questions - (optimal road trip across the U.S)

Discussion in 'Americas' started by kiran, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Rippin209

Rippin209 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was just looking at the details and you have to have premiere AAA for it to tow motorcycles so it's actually closer to $130 with the start fee, but I would still recommend you check it out
  2. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    Good Sam is best for motorcycles I have found.
    They have a new member introductory offer $85 I think.
    The deal is they tow you to the nearest place that can help you, no mileage limit. I was towed 165 miles once.
    Also because they couldn't help me at one place I was towed twice in one day.
    It's equal or better than AAA and costs less.
    I also believe you can cancel and get a refund of unused portion, but I have no first hand experience of such.
    Rippin209 likes this.
  3. kiran

kiran CommuTourer

Oddometer:
  4. DaMonk45

DaMonk45 I B Da Monk

Oddometer:
    I like good sams....but to each their own.
    I have to wonder if either of them are worth it?
  5. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    In my personal experience both AAA and Good Sam offer a similar actual service. (they all use the same local tow trucks) Good Sam offers more miles and costs less for a new member. I have been a Good Sam member last 17 years. I'd say I have definitely gotten my moneys worth. I JUST renewed and it's about the same cost as AAA for a renewal. The NEW MEMBER discount is an outstanding deal.
    If I had saved all my fees these last years and paid for services myself out of pocket I figure I would be way behind. I do have a motorhome, car and Mrs T and myself on 2 bikes. Having the motorhome towed twice was a big deal, plus flat tires, flat batteries a couple of breakdowns. Depends how much exposure you have and your willingness to pay for it. If you do need a tow, jump start or fuel the first time will cost more than $90.
  6. Rippin209

Rippin209 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I didn't know anything about good Sam until a few posts ago but after hearing about what they offer and at a lower price it sounds like a good deal. I'm a decent mechanic and I've only had my motorcycle (first I've owned) for a year and a half or so. I commute and do weekend trips every couple of months or so. So for me it's easier to just get picked by my son or a friend with my truck or there's. Tuckers is a travel pro
  7. Rippin209

Rippin209 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Whether it's worth it or not depends on how much you travel and to a lesser extent what you drive
  8. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    As someone who called tow trucks for stranded motorists (I'm a retired CHP officer), AAA and Good Sam were the only reliable road side services. AAA was usually quicker in California but as far as I remember, the Good Sam calls were always for motorhomes and/or trailers which limits the number of tow companies. I've never been a Good Sam member - do you get maps from them?
  9. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    No maps and some places don't recognize it as a discount.
    I'd like to know who takes the calls. Most of them sound like female inmates in prisons. I do know they have call centers in prisons. Just a conspiracy theory of mine ;)
    jonz and kiran like this.
  10. portablevcb

portablevcb Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maps. AAA has some of the best road maps. I also like the Benchmark recreation maps. They aren't too expensive. Butler are better if you are doing off road. If going cheap then follow above adivce and get a KOA booklet (free at any KOA).

Gas. If you carry a soda bottle for gas make sure you have a funnel :) I carried extra gas once and then never used it. My tank is only good for about 200mi. Just fill up when you can. If it looks like you have 60mi to the next station and are at half a tank, then fill up now :)

If I were to get a separate roadside service it would be either AAA or Good Sam's.

Locks. Because of your situation I'd use some sort of lock on the bike. I don't, but, my bikes are not 'valuable' and I am not that far from home. Cases. Do they lock to the bike? Then I leave them on the bike. Some motels will let you park right in front. Most will not let you roll the bike inside. If the cases are soft or just strapped on then yes, take them in the room or inside your tent. Most of the time it isn't a problem.
    kiran likes this.
  11. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Cover your bike.
    kiran and The Opa like this.
  12. kiran

kiran CommuTourer

Oddometer:
    I initiated payment for goodsam...for some strange reason they charged .00 on the card and provided me reciept...

:d

Need to call them up
  13. kiran

kiran CommuTourer

Oddometer:
    There was a 550 zumo on craiglist for 125 with shipping...but it does not do stereo on bluetooth....

I have a nuvi 205 that is for car and no bluetooth. I use it mainly for tracking where i go...my phone does 2 days on bluetooth with music hence can let 550 go.

Any votes for 550 otherwise?
  14. DaMonk45

DaMonk45 I B Da Monk

Oddometer:
    Not from me.
    kiran likes this.
  15. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Perhaps your whole trip will go like that .00 :)
    kiran likes this.
  16. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    I use an $85 car GPS. I take it off when it rains. No blue teeth, no music.
    High Country Herb and kiran like this.
  17. kiran

kiran CommuTourer

Oddometer:
    They charged 85 today...

great news is that Canadian VISA has been stamped and passport delivered at home...now need to pack up my tailbag and fly!!! :wings
    :happay:drums
    Rippin209 and High Country Herb like this.
  18. DaMonk45

DaMonk45 I B Da Monk

Oddometer:
    Outstanding!
  19. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Wow! Imagine your excitement. It's a big deal Kiran, good for you. Bring a smile and a good attitude and you'll go far! Riding the 1200GS across USA is rather unusual for people from India. In all my years of riding I haven't ever come across such!
    I had a couple of hours yesterday so I cleaned the front wheel of the bike. All the spokes could really do with a rub around but that's another two hours!
    Do you have tools? You need a do-dad for removing the front wheel, perhaps an oil filter do-dad. Some Torx and some Allen. You can just go to Harbor Freight here, their hand tools are now guaranteed for life and are not bad for occasional use. Price is EVER so reasonable. You won't get a front wheel tool or oil filter wrench there. I can get what you need if you want. Let me know.
  20. kiran

kiran CommuTourer

Oddometer:
    My current itinerary doesnt look like more than 10k miles...but that can change once i am on the road. Do you think I will need more tools than we discussed earlier?...i need enough so that I dont call recovery for a 10$ tool that I could do on my own with. I have friends who would shy away from changing headlamp on their own...I am wee better but not an expert...so having more tool not necessarily mean that I will be able to use them...
    I can remove the front wheel sure but when will I need to do it?...and will I be able to fix it on the road if I do that for some reason? I am not sure.
    I dont want to go overboard with tools. basic ones that can be used to do first aid (or perhaps 1.5st aid) is needed. or something that I cant find with many mechanics can be included...for example...car tyre shops (rather shacks) here do not have socket hex to get off alloy wheels in most places...they only use ring spanners which don't fit. Hence I carry a hex socket and handle in car...
    hope I am making sense.