USA Trip Planning Questions - (optimal road trip across the U.S)

Discussion in 'Americas' started by kiran, Jan 11, 2016.

1. kiran

kiran CommuTourer

Oddometer:
    I can fly tonight if I could :uhoh
    Rippin209 likes this.
  2. Rippin209

Rippin209 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Keep everyone updated on your travels, especially if you could use some help it sounds like there are at least a few people here that would be happy to help. More likely just to say hi and give you a heads up on local spots though. Safe travels Kiran
  3. portablevcb

portablevcb Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, be sure and post where you are at and especially if you run into trouble.

Tools. I always carry a lot more than I need, but, I ride a 30yr old bike. I also carry extra oil and some spare parts, like cables.

When I had a newer bike (Honda Deauville/NT700) I carried a tire plug kit, air compressor and my Leatherman multi-tool. Nothing more (except maybe some duct tape :) ).
    kiran and Rippin209 like this.
  4. Rippin209

Rippin209 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Luck favors the prepared
  5. kiran

kiran CommuTourer

Oddometer:
    Yes i will keep posting here. Thanks a lot.

I have created a fb page that i can use to check in wherever i go to have a trail as well.
  6. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Re: tools
    The only time you will remove the front wheel is to save on shop fees if getting a new tire installed or if you have a really bad puncture somewhere along the road and want to take the wheel to a tire repair place .
    The front wheel tool Tuckers refers to is basically a large hex-head you stab into the axle end to unthread the axle after you loosen the clamp bolts. Easiest tool is a big cap screw of the correct metric size head and a Vise-Grip( tmr) plier or pipe wrench . BMW tool is expensive , HARBOR FREIGHT sells such tools only as a set , not singular sizes .If you try a farm implement dealer they can probably get you the big size easily , perhaps even from the scrap bin. You won't care about the thread , it's the hex size you want and a stub to grip .
    At Harbor Freight you can also buy a tire plug kit ( awl, needle , string plugs , vulcanizing glue) for about $5
    and small 12 V compressor with cigarette lighter power plug for about $10 and you could fix your own flat tires ( does the GS have such a power outlet?)
    Most flat tires on the road happen to rear wheels after the front runs over something and flips it up to stab the rear .Keep your eyes open for debris and avoid areas of pavement and parking lots not used by traffic that are " unswept" , that is where the nails , screws and junk collect.
    If Tuckers has installed the new oil filter and you see yourself doing only 10000 MILES , then I would simply do an oil change at the midway point and leave the filter alone .
    gatorjack likes this.
  7. kiran

kiran CommuTourer

Oddometer:
    I will share the toolkit list that i already have over weekend...i think i have 18mm hex allen key for kawasaki front. If its same then great.

I have simple plug kit for puncture but i will need pump. These things i can use back home so not a problem really.

Can I park in front of a tyre shop and unmount wheel myself...will that be ok? I would dare leave bike midway somewhere to get the wheel fixed

That reminds me the day when something cut open my rear tyre on a breakfast ride. The cut was bad and i could slide a quarter inside easily . it was hardly 15 miles from house on a sunday morning.
    The plugs wouldnt hold the air. Had to push it a bit by pumping air at every stop i could get. Finally another shot at it and plugging three wicks into it managed to hold air enough for me to ride to the shop and get a new tyre
    Rippin209 likes this.
  8. Rippin209

Rippin209 Long timer

Oddometer:
    With skills like that you'll be fine. Be patient and enjoy the ride
  9. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    What Sjoerd said. Change the oil at 5000. You could even have a shop do it and carry nothing but a flat fixing kit. I don't know what you'll do at the end of your trip. It will be time for gearbox and final drive again, valves and etc. You could sell the bike with 'deffered' maintenance considering your ownership and use, easy to explain.
    Like portablevcb I carry A SHIT LOAD OF STUFF. I've done a clutch (on the road)(in a friends garage). Last big ride I did a final drive outer seal on the road (driveway of a relative). I've left my bike in a campground and gotten a 40 mile ride with the removed wheel to repair a broken rubber tire/wheel valve. I've also replaced batteries and brake pads. I've tightened exhaust headers. I've replaced a throttle body spring. Mostly though I have used the tools to help other riders.
    I'll get a 22mm nut that fits in the the front wheel axle and weld a lever to one if you like.
    I don't think many here will look at your FB page. Most of us stay directed to this one site for our daily fix of ADVENTURE!
    kiran likes this.
  10. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    image.jpeg View attachment 59130

I have the Motion Pro $24 tool. I will be riding myself the same time as you or I would let you use it.

Attached Files:

11. DaMonk45

DaMonk45 I B Da Monk

Oddometer:
    facebook?
    kiran likes this.
  12. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    YUP :(
  13. DaMonk45

DaMonk45 I B Da Monk

Oddometer:
    oh well, he is young yet.
    There is still time.
    kiran likes this.
  14. kiran

kiran CommuTourer

Oddometer:
    I think i get this i am 80s kid trying to keep up with the new guys .

Just easy to check in the places and leave a trail for those who want keep an eye...also easy for them to know if i am around or will be.

I will give you facebook 101 once i am there....just kidding...

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk
  15. kiran

kiran CommuTourer

Oddometer:
    There will be a trip blog at http://blog.kiranghag.com to pen down real words in the evenings...and RR will be updated here.

Does this offer any redemption or i have qualified for a boot here already ?

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk
  16. kiran

kiran CommuTourer

Oddometer:
    I can get 22mm hex allen head here for maybe $5.
    I have harbour freight torque wrench set..shall i carry that?

I tried to find bmw service manual but it seems it is available as an desktop app and not as a document. Is that right. It might have served as a good read on the way.
  17. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    I can't tell you what to carry. I can tell you what I carry.
    I just google anything I want to do on a vehicle and it's all there. For info without having internet...................?

The comment about FB is just because most people I know don't want to be redirected to another site from this site to read your story when they feel it could be on this site? Get it? I suppose it would be like directing people from FB to here, they probably won't come. Dunno. I look at FB, my email and ADV whenever I get to my laptop....I'm not big on checking in with my phone.
  18. kiran

kiran CommuTourer

Oddometer:
    oh got it...RR will be updated here directly and no FB links. ADV inspired me and I would be here primarily.
    I dont want to flood the RR with thousand photos or irrelevant "i am here" events which I would do on FB.
  19. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Coolio. Smart man. You catch on quick!
    ADV is an awesome community, we make fun with/at each other but at heart we are all about the love :)
    You will find great support, sometimes when you post know that just a few respond BUT many are watching. If you need help/guidance/advice/support, just ask, doesn't hurt to ask.
    People are stepping back and watching, close enough to reach but not so close to interfere.
    I know I speak for everyone when I say what a great thing you are doing. Stepping out of your comfort zone and in to a new and strange land. Good for you Man. You are an inspiration, you may not realize that, but you are.
  20. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Re: taking wheel out at a shop front.
    This varies depending on which shop you are at. Some places are reall asses about not permitting folk to do mechanical work on their parking lot , supposedly for liability reasons and the mess some will leave.
    Some auto parts stores will gladly let you do work in their parking lot after you buy parts and will even lend you a tool or two .
    I have changed oil at some of the Jiffy Lube ( tmr) places with their permission . They do NOT service motorcycles but will sell you oil and perhaps a drain pan . But often they do not have drain pans so you need to scrounge the local dumsters for a discarded 4 liter plastic jug WITH CAP and slice a side out and that will readily hold all your dirty oil.

Also get a piece of cardboard to put under there and catch any drops so you leave no mess as a show of consideration .
    Once a garage in Alaska would sell me oil but would not permit me to change it on their lot so I did it on the other side of a single fence wire that separated their property from the neighbour and then carried the used oil back to them .

+ 1 for Tuckers ' welding the handle to the 22mm nut . $ 22 saved
    The fancy stepped tool may look slick but what if the hex size you need is far up the shank and the socket in the axle is only shallow?

Facebook ?????? I never go there. When I hit the link button once and was faced with another bunch of blanks to fill in -& join ...... WILL NOT ! I NEVER Book , Twit and whatever .Not going to join, sign up , another user name and more pass word s. to tediously enter every time and remember.
    If it is worth telling us , tell us HERE:jjen
    kiran likes this.