USA Trip Planning Questions - (optimal road trip across the U.S)

Discussion in 'Americas' started by kiran, Jan 11, 2016.

1. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    No he did not start report yet. I will have him do it Friday evening or Saturday.
  2. kiran

kiran CommuTourer

Oddometer:
    No no...yet to be created...
  3. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    You should start Kiran. Maybe an introduction then later today pictures with your bike!
    I went outside but only one meteor so far. I will wait a little longer.
    Perhaps you will se them from the aircraft.
    kiran likes this.
  4. DaMonk45

DaMonk45 I B Da Monk

Oddometer:
    Well you can do that on the flight, have it typed with pics ready to post.

I was just making sure I had not missed it.
    Thanks
    Enjoy your trip!!!
    kiran likes this.
  5. kiran

kiran CommuTourer

Oddometer:
  6. hardroadking

hardroadking Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Kiran,

I am glad to see you have been well taken care of by the ADV community and your trip is now starting.
    I agree with most of the great advice you have received so there is little left to comment on but here are a few things.

Make preparations for bike security (locks, covers, alarms etc...) with the assumption you will NEVER park your motorcycle inside a hotel room.
    Personally, I would only park inside a room if I asked for permission and it was then given to me. I'd be surprised if any hotel would give you or me permission. You risk an extra cleaning or damage fee being added on to your credit card if you park inside and that could be expensive.

Walmart is another place you can change (in the parking lot) and dispose of your oil for free inside if they have an Auto Service Center.

This ADV site community here is not representative of the US population in general regarding attitude towards foreigners. Most ADV members are interested in travel and foreign cultures, things that are different are not something to be afraid of, instead differences are interesting to them. However, there is a segment of our society that see's foreigners and especially dark skinned foreigners with more fear than interest. This is currently exacerbated by the political climate with the presidential election campaign in full swing. I don't think you will have any problems but it's always important (and this goes for anyone traveling anywhere) to be aware of the mood or attitude of the people around you...situational awareness. If you smile, say hello and talk extra slowly, you will probably get smiles and a polite positive attitude directed back at you. If you do encounter bad or aggressive behavior, be polite and apologetic and remove yourself from the situation smoothly and quickly. These occurrences are very uncommon so don't worry about it. Just make a mental note of it now...how will I react if I find my self in a confrontational situation?...and then put it in the back of your mind.

It would be interesting to hear from you what has been in the Indian newspapers regarding the USA over the past few months. I'm sure Mr. Trump is getting some attention. We in the USA, when talking to friends about traveling to Central or South America, get lot's of questions and concerns about safety...won't you get robbed or shot if you go there? I had to laugh yesterday when looking at a newspaper article from the Chicago Tribune..."more than 100 people shot in Chicago in the last week....shooting victims year to date 2, 514" I'm not suggesting you avoid Chicago...I'm familiar with the city and would not change my plans to visit there because of this statistic but I wonder if the foreign press reports these stories and if foreigners, planning to visit the USA get advice from their friends about visiting such a violent and dangerous country. Every city in every country has it's dangerous areas where your chances of becoming a victim are much higher than the surrounding area. Each of us needs to ask questions, google, etc...to try to avoid those areas and not get an AirBnB or a bargain priced hotel in those areas....which will mostly be Big cities.

I'm looking forward to following your travels in the EPIC ride section, have fun, try not to rush, live in the moment (which is hard to do when you've just seen something awesome in the morning that you can't get out of your head and you know you are now heading towards something incredible that you'll see in the afternoon....for the next two months).

Ride Safe, Tim

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-chicago-violence-shootings-20160810-story.html
    Rippin209 and kiran like this.
  7. ADVer

ADVer Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Some good solid advice from @hardroadking

Regarding foreign advisories on travel to US, here are some:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/09/travel/bahamas-us-travel-advisory/

http://m.mentalfloss.com/article.php?id=68276
    kiran and hardroadking like this.
  8. Rippin209

Rippin209 Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

There are a couple of Canadians just starting this route scheduled for 60 days
  9. kiran

kiran CommuTourer

Oddometer:
    Need their contacts or page to follow if you have
  10. Rippin209

Rippin209 Long timer

Oddometer:
  11. Rippin209

Rippin209 Long timer

Oddometer:
    No problem Kiran got it posted now
    kiran likes this.
  12. DaMonk45

DaMonk45 I B Da Monk

Oddometer:
    There are people doing some awesome rides.
    Drop in and share your page link with them.
    Who knows you may meet up with some along the way.
  13. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    All that planning and they miss Big Bend National Park Texas.
  14. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Heck, they are missing Mexico too.Turn it into a Three Flags trip. Run it down to the Copper Canyon at least, Enter Mexico at El Paso and Exit at Ojinaga - 60 days is plenty for that AND the route as marked.
    Now back to Kiran:thumb
  15. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    I can understand anyone not going to Mexico, that's understandable as some people have their reasons no to. BUT BIG BEND! I mean come on, it's Big Bend, least visited National Park in USA.
  16. Rippin209

Rippin209 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm still mixed on going to Mexico on the motorcycle. I see ride reports all the time but I don't speak Spanish and I live in California and have lots of co-workers that have family there and I guess there are some areas that are pretty crazy, at the same time I would avoid most of Chicago and Detroit if I was headed that way (not much to offer in what I'm looking for vs the risk. Then again I guess riding a motorcycle in California is probably just as dangerous with the freeways that's are worse then most logging roads (Altamont pass comes to mind) and drivers that actually are trying to kill
  17. DaMonk45

DaMonk45 I B Da Monk

Oddometer:
    Late in the trip maybe but not anytime soon.
  18. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    I was shocked at how bad Altamont has become. You almost need a 4X4. If you have very low profile tires, you might even damage a wheel. Pacheco is still fun, though. Just have to watch the wind gusts.

I am always amazed at how nice Highway 9 and Skyline Drive are. Every time I go there, the pavement looks fresh and clean. The people that live in that area own lots of Ferraris and high end vehicles, so they must pay extra taxes to keep them nice.

Speaking of nice roads...

Kiran, sometimes motorcycle manufacturers bring out a variety of bikes and allow people to take them on test rides. I would not be surprised if BMW does this at the event you are attending. You might score a ride on anything from an F700 to a S1000R. At the Superbike races earlier this year, I rode a number of bikes: Suzuki V-Strom 650 & DRZ400SM, Yamaha XSR900 & FJR1300, and a Honda Africa Twin 1000.
    kiran likes this.
  19. Rippin209

Rippin209 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Highway 9 and skyline are on mountain rock (sometimes a edge will slide off but rarely) so the base under the pavement is solid and doesn't shift where as the Altamont is on top soil that easily shifts (the last time I ride my motorcycle over the Altamont the number 1 lane was sliding down the hill it had separated from the rest of the road by 4 to 9 inches in a almost perfectly straight line for hundreds of yards then cut across at a 45 degree angle to the edge of the road, the crack went the full depth of pavement the road was literally falling off and there was a crack big enough to swallow your tire. After a week caltrans put black top in the crack 2 months later they fixed it properly
  20. Rippin209

Rippin209 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If headed that way try taking Patterson pass it's 5 miles or so West of Altamont and much better, it's a smaller 2 lane that go's the same way