Usal Road Conditions?

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Mr B, May 24, 2016.

1. Mr B

Mr B Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Planning on a quick trip up north to the Lost Coast area, looking for some intel on the Usal Road and what condition it might be in? Mendocino County web site says it is open, but was hoping to hear from some local folks before I depart, looking at being that way first of June.
  2. DanoPDX

DanoPDX Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Giving this a bump, since I'm also curious... Thx!
  3. Rips Millar

Rips Millar capt. mediocre

Oddometer:
    anyone been out lately? looking to go out next week, june 10
  4. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!!

Oddometer:
    Me too. Headed over this Sunday
  5. Rips Millar

Oddometer:
    Let us know..:
  6. MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, it's open and passable. Some rutting but easy to get a bike through. I was in my 4Runner but passed 3 guys on DS bikes at about mile 16.
  7. Rips Millar

Oddometer:
    raining now, may be a different story.....
  8. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!!

Oddometer:
    Just back. Rode south from Honeydew and onto Usal Rd. off of Shelter Cove Rd. Once you start down, washouts are deeper and more frequent. Nothing too serious. I rode it on my 690. Could be done on a bigger bike but some skill required....A pretty long 29 miles any way you slice it. This was Wednesday before the rain.
    sharpie1 likes this.
  9. MeefZah

Oddometer:
    So you want someone to pre-ride it for you, maybe you can wait at 4 Corners for a report before you ride in, or what? It's the Lost Coast, shit changes daily!
    Foot dragger likes this.
  10. Rips Millar

Oddometer:
    switch to decaf chief, just looking for info.
  11. safischer

safischer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Like the other poster said, it can be done on a big bike. I was out there a couple of weeks ago on an F800GS. We camped off Honeydew, explored down to Needles, part of Usal, and north on Kings Peak rd up to Wilder Ridge rd. Usal and Kings Peak do have some areas with deep ruts and rocks, but nothing that is a showstopper. I also posted this video for the section of the ride up from the Needles area of Sinkyone here:
    You can also check out a GPS track of this ride and others here: http://www.stephenfischerphotography.com/Motorcycle/motorcycle_corner.html
  12. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!!

Oddometer:
    I may not know exactly where Usal road begins and ends. But the piece we rode Tuesday from the Shelter Cove Rd south to Hwy 1, was considerably rougher than what is shown in the video
  13. MeefZah

Oddometer:
    The unofficial portion of Usal that is usually (usally?) referred to is the rough dirt portion that runs from "4 Corners" ( Briceland Rd / road that drops to Sinkyone SP) south all the way to Rt 1. That is 26 miles, the northern 19 or so is the roughest part, since the southern end is more heavily traversed with traffic coming up from the south going to Usal Beach.

If you rode out of Shelter Cove on Chemise Mountain Road, it crosses into Mendo Co and becomes... paved one lane Rd 423 (?) (not sure I have that number correct), then changes to gravel, then crosses over the "4 Corners" intersection and passes a few warning signs about the road being closed during wet seasons, etc. That is the beginning of Usal.
  14. MeefZah

Oddometer:
    LOL, yes, perhaps my response was a bit dickish but the point is, you are getting info from 4 - 7 days ago from 2 people who traversed it by bike and 4x4... you aren't going to get more current info than that on this site unless some guy that just rode it happens to stop in Petrolia and pull wi-fi specifically to update this thread, and since the thread is 14 months old and saw 1 response until it was bumped 9 days ago... I don't think you gonna get that update.

It rained. BFD. Go ride it!
  15. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!!

Oddometer:
    We did not ride out of Shelter Cove. I said we crossed the Shelter Cove Rd. Using Garmin's road names, we came south from Honeydew on Kings Peak Rd. to the paved Shelter Cove Rd. We went left on it for less than 1/4 mile then right onto Chemise Mountain Rd. and south, crossing Briceland, with the road name changing to Usal in that area, continuing south and crossing Usal Creek at Usal Campground, where road became passenger car friendly on down to Hwy 1. I have my tracks to download, if that is confusing....
  16. MeefZah

Oddometer:
    Yeah I got it. When you cross Briceland Rd going south it becomes Usal and that's the northern limit of what is the rougher stuff.

I haven't been on Kings Peak this year. Any water flowing in the water crossings or are they dry?
  17. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!!

Oddometer:
    No water that I recall. Couple of small mud/wet spots was all. A good ride all in all.
  18. JPaccassi

JPaccassi ...searching

Oddometer:
    I just rode this on Wednesday with a friend on a GS1200 all the way from the top (the dirt before shelter cove rd from north to south). There was an orange road closed sign at the top, but then a local happened by & said it wasn't. We decided to take his word for it & we never found any problems with the rd all the way down...there are some big mud holes on usal rd, but bikes can get around the outside easily.
  19. avejoe

avejoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Down around the corner half a mile from here
    IMG_3184.JPG Rode Usal and Kings today. Conditions are awesome. A few greasy spots. IMG_3154.JPG IMG_3174.JPG
  20. Mens Rea

Mens Rea Long timer

Oddometer:
    ^^^^ good pix, thanks. That last photo is a classic. Nap time. :lol2