USBYGS on the road...

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by USBYGS, Jun 16, 2006.

1. KHud

KHud Survivor Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cornwall is ostensibly where where the Huddy family hails from. Please keep an eye out for any wealthy looking relatives of mine.
  2. USBYGS

USBYGS Riding the World

Oddometer:
    Always on the lookout for a wealthy relative...
  3. USBYGS

USBYGS Riding the World

Oddometer:
    Tom Tom sometimes takes us where we have to question his sanity. From paved bike paths with ten foot high hedges on either side and you can't see around corners, to the dirt path with a creek crossing...
    [​IMG]

Up on the Moors with free range ponies, sheep, and cows:
    [​IMG]
    Dogslobber and MotoMamma like this.
  4. USBYGS

USBYGS Riding the World

Oddometer:
    Cream tea... Tea, scone, cream, jam. Put the cream and jam on the scone. The cream is called clotted cream. Probably what it does to your arteries - but it is damn good!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Flat beer, real ale, cask ale. All the same thing - beer that has to be pumped out or drawn out of the keg. All the true pubs have them.
    [​IMG]

Pasties! All the nutrition a Cornish miner needs - meat, potatoes, and vegies surrounded by a pastry crust. The crust was folded over encasing the food, thus keeping the heat in for a warm lunch. The crust had a thick seam where it was sealed together. This thick seam is where the miners held onto the food them chucked the crust handle to the mine gods. And with the "handle" went all traces of arsenic that may have been on their hands. Pretty brilliant!
    [​IMG]
    Dogslobber, marbee40 and MotoMamma like this.
  5. USBYGS

USBYGS Riding the World

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Dogslobber, ptero and MotoMamma like this.
  6. USBYGS

USBYGS Riding the World

Oddometer:
    Currently enjoying the coast of South Wales. Beautiful coastline and beaches. Everyone has a wetsuit for swimming... A lot of one lane, two way roads. So crazy to drive with the tall hedges on either side, no see corners, hidden drives... several times we come face to face with tractors! Had to backpedal 20 yards to find room for one to squeeze by.

We are in a cottage in the countryside for a few days and land in Ireland in 3 days... still weird to see drivers sitting in the wrong side of the cars...
    ptero likes this.
  7. USBYGS

USBYGS Riding the World

Oddometer:
    Did I mention that Gina does not have to go back to work this fall?
    Beezer likes this.
  8. dapman

dapman Graphics Guru

Oddometer:
    WHATTT!!! I wanna retire.... Damn! Have Fun Gina!
  9. KHud

KHud Survivor Supporter

Oddometer:
    I gotta tell ya, retirement is a sh!t load of work.
    Beezer likes this.
  10. dapman

dapman Graphics Guru

Oddometer:
    ...and I hear the employee is an asshole! but I've lived with myself for 55 years, I can handle another couple decades! LOL
    Beezer likes this.
  11. USBYGS

USBYGS Riding the World

Oddometer:
    All of theses were in the bike shop that changed my tire :
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

this should have never left Japan -
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Dogslobber and marbee40 like this.
  12. USBYGS

USBYGS Riding the World

Oddometer:
    A local directed us to her hometown which is know for black swans. Growing up she didn't even know that there were white swans!

[​IMG]

A true pub!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Dogslobber likes this.
  13. USBYGS

USBYGS Riding the World

Oddometer:
    Huh, always heard about this place...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a great gin history:
    [​IMG]

The building was built by a shipwright that the distillery is in for Plymouth Gin
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Dogslobber likes this.
  14. USBYGS

USBYGS Riding the World

Oddometer:
    Silly me trying to change the tone of another thread!

Today is a big day as we are going on a ferry to Ireland! Anyone else up for a Guinness tour? We will spend a couple days in Dublin and then continue for the next few weeks taking in the Irish culture! Sounds like we ride on the ferry and park on the side stand, an attendant will throw a pad and strap across the bike, cinch it down, and away we go! Sounds simple - I remember having to tie them down ourself on a couple AK ferry rides.

Short ride to the ferry dock (5 miles) then a short ride to our inn in a suburb of Dublin. Gotta go!

Remember, spend time on the things that matter to you and with those that matter!
    Beezer likes this.
  15. USBYGS

USBYGS Riding the World

Oddometer:
    Life on the road is always an adventure. Riding the country lanes is challenging when you have one lane roads and blind corners. We are getting used to the tractor squeeze and the sudden appearance of cars sailing around these corners with both of us coming to fast stops (although I am just barely moving on most of these corners). TomTom thinks these are 60MPH roads so he puts us on them for fastest routes... Pictures coming your way hopefully tonight (morning here)

By the way, we are in Ireland working our way around the coast. It is tough to understand the Irish when they talk with speed and completely unintelligible when they speak Irish... We have traveled over 4000 miles at this point and have about 3 weeks left.

A sobering reminder of life a few days ago with the Eagle River man that died in the motorcycle accident. He was the husband of a coworker (and one of Gina's good friends). They just had twins a few months ago. Sounded like a Trooper did a U-turn in the road that caused a chain reaction of braking and without really knowing the details (and I could be totally wrong), I think Aaron braked up with the back end sliding out and then high sided, which threw him off into the truck in front... So as we ride, it is a reminder to keep a little more spacing and to not be in any hurry. Everyone take care and live each day with gusto, with love, and with no regrets!
  16. Solarmoose

Solarmoose electric Supporter

Oddometer:
    Unfortunate set of circumstances for the rider fatality. Good to remember such situations are never too far away but sorry to have to have this be the reminder.

Enjoying your pics and travel notes!
  17. USBYGS

USBYGS Riding the World

Oddometer:
    Country lanes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Dogslobber likes this.
  18. USBYGS

USBYGS Riding the World

Oddometer:
    Crazy. We have had three days of amazing riding here in Ireland. I am constantly impressed with how this 1150 can do what it does. The roads we have been riding have been similar to the Alps but without the big-ass mountains. Barely one lane roads with two way traffic. Can't imagine driving a car here. We have been riding the coastal areas with amazing beaches, quaint villages, and epic scenery.

The GS loves tight "bends", basically u-turns - up hill, on corners with a camber that you hope there is no reason you need to stop forward motion.... riding the clutch in the friction zone and using the rear brake to control the roll. Always great to get back to where ever home is for the night and reminisce the day. Then finish the day firing up the 5 buck disposable grill, open a bottle of Pinotage from S. Africa (after a dram of Irish Whiskey to reward oneself for a successful riding day), and grilling a couple of fillets from Irish Herefords. IT DOES NOT GET ANY BETTER!

But it does not have to be Ireland, wine or whiskey, and Irish beef. Make it your own. Make if different. And keep in mind at that moment it does not get any better...
    Beezer and ptero like this.
  19. The Dick

The Dick The Brick Supporter

Oddometer:
    Such sage words from such a young man, signs of maturity. My buddies place in Cornwall is the second opening of the hedge on the left side after you leave the local pub, never missed finding our way home. The hedges are condos for rabbits which provides for great night time sport of flash light hunting riding the fender while blasting through the fields!
  20. USBYGS

USBYGS Riding the World

Oddometer: