USBYGS on the road...

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by USBYGS, Jun 16, 2006.

1. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    they sure got some fucked up lookin' moose over there
  2. USBYGS

USBYGS Riding the World

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Dogslobber likes this.
  3. USBYGS

USBYGS Riding the World

Oddometer:
    Off the grid for a bit without internet... and being lazy about updates! Over 6000 miles now and in a few days we starting our return to Heidelberg... I mean it will take us a week or so, but it is coming to an end soon. Too much to update and I will see what I can do in our place here in the north of Ireland.

Had a close encounter the other day - closest one yet. A Range Rover, from what I thought, suddenly started slowing down. I was coming up on it over the last quarter mile, probably 55 mph. Not too fast. I thought she was slowing down but she actually came to a sudden stop as a semi coming the other way surprised it. There was room for both but I think it is just a knee jerk reaction to do a panic stop until it goes by on these narrow roads. We (Gina and I) knew we were gonna hit it. There was just not enough room to stop. And we were both okay with hitting it as we were confident that we were doing everything right and we were probably going to be okay.

I kept grabbing more brake to try and slow us down as much as possible before contact. At the last second I gave it all the brake I could muster.... never done that before. Growing up commercial fishing, I always had better than average grip strength. And I used it. We were straight up and down, clean asphalt under us, and the bike - just - stopped! Crazy how fast it stopped. The clutch was in, I was in 4th gear, and you couldn't slip a credit card between my front tire and the rear bumper of that Rover.

Damn I love this bike. Don't think any of my other bikes would have stopped like that. I didn't feel the ABS at all so don't think it needed it . It just stopped. Gina and I were amazed at the whole experience. Amazed how that idiot stopped on an open road so fast, amazed how we were both so calm about hitting the Rover, and amazed how the bike suddenly bit down and stopped.

You know it happened fast if Gina didn't get pictures of it! So, we carry on and chalk that one up. Live and learn. Learn so you can live.
    Dogslobber likes this.
  4. USBYGS

USBYGS Riding the World

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gravity bar (the Guinness 360 view bar above the brewery)
    [​IMG]

Best Guinness was at Kehoes (don't know why but it was definitely better than anywhere else in Dublin...)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Most popular or famous bar in Dublin:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Dogslobber likes this.
  5. USBYGS

USBYGS Riding the World

Oddometer:
    When you know that you are in Ireland...
    [​IMG]

Come on! A free pint every time England is scored on? Bring it!!!
    Dogslobber and Beezer like this.
  6. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    glad yous guys are ok.
  7. KHud

KHud Survivor Supporter

Oddometer:
    All I can say is, WHEW!!!!!
  8. USBYGS

USBYGS Riding the World

Oddometer:
    Slight hiccup to our well laid plans...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. USBYGS

USBYGS Riding the World

Oddometer:
    Here is a copy of an email I sent the family a few days ago:

We left a wonderful cottage on a farm and are currently in Dublin. Those who know our itinerary know that we should not be in Dublin!!! Yesterday just after 5 on our way to our room in Skerries, the bike did not feel right. We were just getting off the motorway to refuel, just over an hour away from our room for the night. We fueled up, pulled to the side of the station, pulled off the saddle bag on one side to see if we could see anything. OIL EVERYWHERE….

The final drive was leaking from a seal and when riding we could feel the grinding. Long story short, we worked through our road service, were towed to our hotel, this morning towed to the dealer, and now are in a hotel in Dublin. Downtown Dublin.

Rear seal and bearing should be installed tomorrow, we rescheduled our ferry for Rosslare for Friday morning (and hopefully a room there tomorrow night), and then we should be back on schedule. We missed our ferry this morning and our booking for the night and for tomorrow night. We will miss our tour for “Downton Abbey”, but should be in Folkstone for our Eurotunnel train to France. Rosslare ferry adds a 2 hour ride tomorrow but the ferry to Pembrooke should save us a couple hundred miles on the other side. Our road service plan has paid for our two towings, our hotel tonight and most likely tomorrow, and we may get reimbursed for the change in ferry (20 pounds).

All in all we are doing great, happy the bike is an easy fix, and we are going to enjoy an Irish night out on the town since we are right here!!!!!
    MotoMamma and Beezer like this.
  10. USBYGS

USBYGS Riding the World

Oddometer:
    This was a worthy side trip:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Dogslobber likes this.
  11. USBYGS

USBYGS Riding the World

Oddometer:
    As was this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Dogslobber likes this.
  12. USBYGS

USBYGS Riding the World

Oddometer:
    Ireland

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    MotoMamma and Dogslobber like this.
  13. USBYGS

USBYGS Riding the World

Oddometer:
    Scenes from Game of Thrones filmed here at the Dark Hedges:

[​IMG]
    MotoMamma and Dogslobber like this.
  14. USBYGS

USBYGS Riding the World

Oddometer:
    After a great night in Dublin (our road service paid for the room) we spent the next day touring different parts of the town and finished it off at a movie (Gina HAD to see the new Mama Mia). After the movie we grabbed our gear and loaded onto the top of a double decker bus and rode it across town to the bike dealer. The bike was done close to closing time, so we went with our new plan of getting a room in Rosslare (2 hour ride away) and taking the ferry to Pembroke. The road service got us a room in Rosslare and we found a great dinner and pint at the last pub in Ireland. It is actually the first pub in Ireland if you just got off the ferry...

The 4 hour ferry ride was relaxing, with the bike strapped in and us on a sofa by a window. We had about a 350 mile ride to get across the UK to where we have a room and will be back on the Schedule. The ride was not much fun. All motorway, periods of rain, a storm for the last hour, and the traffic! We split miles and miles of cars and trucks. With our bluetooth helmets only working one way, it made for a long ride... but we made it to Folkestone before 9PM, got our room, found a store for a few beers, found a Doner Kebab and had a great meal in our room watching a movie.

We toured the town the next day and made it to Dover Cliffs. So the storm really screwed up the air travelers and the ferry over here. The put 6 extra ferry shifts in the loop to get control of the back up. The streets around Dover were clogged and backed up well down the M20. Miles... It took some creative riding to get around all that traffic to get back to Folkestone from our Dover Cliff excursion. Crazy - people were in line for over 5 hours trying to get to a ferry. Red Cross was called in to hand out water....
    Lucky for us we were on the Chunnel the next day and it was pretty smooth getting on (after a little trip to the duty free shop).

Currently in Belgium...
    Dogslobber likes this.
  15. USBYGS

USBYGS Riding the World

Oddometer:
    I think it is worth mentioning that we had breakfast in England, lunch in France, and dinner in Belgium!
    MotoMamma likes this.
  16. USBYGS

USBYGS Riding the World

Oddometer:
    Ireland - To sum it up, we traveled from Dingle to Dangle (or Donegal), and from Ballythis to Ballythat... but this is one Bally that really stood out:

[​IMG]
    Dogslobber likes this.
  17. USBYGS

USBYGS Riding the World

Oddometer:
    Way behind, so lets get started... The Giant Causeway

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Dogslobber likes this.
  18. USBYGS

USBYGS Riding the World

Oddometer:
    Our stay at a farm we learned about Dexter cows - little guys that don't tear up the land they graze on. Tasty...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Dogslobber likes this.
  19. USBYGS

USBYGS Riding the World

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Dogslobber likes this.
  20. USBYGS

USBYGS Riding the World

Oddometer:
    Huh, just thought about posting a quick blurb. Currently in Quensel BC. Good ride so far. Slow day today due to rain. We are taking the ‘Strom to north California then back to Oregon for a rest. It may stay in the states from here on... Cassiar was the best roads of the trip up to this point. Trying to camp but rain has discouraged it two nights now. Wicked hard crap like a cow pissing on a flat rock. Gear is now drying out in the room with the aroma of a pizza delivered and a bottle of Pinotage from South Africa. Good combo. 6 moose and 4 bear and a passel of small critters. One squirrel did not make it.