USBYGS on the road...

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by USBYGS, Jun 16, 2006.

1. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    I hear ya buddy.... what with the lions humpin' every 20 minutes, a guy could never get any sleep.... worse than the goddam bears, mating between meals. hey lions.... knock it off, we're tryin' to get some shuteye over here...... and get off the lawn. inconsiderate shits. hope the motel rooms have thick walls
  2. USBYGS

USBYGS Riding the World

Oddometer:
    Hotel had a fence all around like we were in prison... I am currently in Seattle after 5 weeks of African adventures and am on a new adventure. About 3 weeks ago my dad was in France for a river cruise and ended up in the ER before the cruise. Long story shorter, he is now in Seattle after getting back to AK and having a lung collapse and a hole in the bottom of his esophagus. 2 stent attempts later and he is in recovery. Very weak from no food for several weeks. We have been making daily plans to end our trip early to come here for dad but it worked out that we finished our trip as planned and canceled our SEA to ANC leg to stay here until he can go home. I have a bunch of stories and pictures yet to show and tell - and will get there as I can.

Our last morning we did a river safari and had 4 hippos charge our boat under water! Crazy!
  3. ptero

ptero Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh my! So sorry to hear about your Dad. Praying for a successful recovery.

Happy you had such a wild trip and are back safe. It's been spectacular to be a fly on the wall for it. Thanks for all the pictures - looking forward to more!!!
    Gezerbike likes this.
  4. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:
    Hoping for the best for your Dad. Glad you are both able to be there for him.
  5. USBYGS

USBYGS Riding the World

Oddometer:
    586D3FED-BD81-4D41-83F2-2FC5D8CABA9D.jpeg 360DC446-0A1B-408F-858B-BF3B6C7CB5EB.jpeg B0E58794-DD25-40EC-A4B7-21E799D2BB26.jpeg 732B4090-68F2-4864-97D2-118CD73F4C3F.jpeg
    Dogslobber and ptero like this.
  6. USBYGS

USBYGS Riding the World

Oddometer:
    Just an update - we are now back at home as Old Mel passed peacefully on the 4th surrounded by family. It was a battle of 1 step forward and 2 back. Gina and I were blessed to spend almost 3 weeks with Dad at the end. For those that don't know, his battle started when he was around Agent Orange in Vietnam. He is finally at ease after dealing with PTSD and survivor guilt for all these years. Rarely talked about it but enough that we knew that he had demons he was always fighting. There are no stronger people than our vets.

Smartest man you'd ever meet - the call a friend if you were on "Who wants to be a Millionaire". The original MacGyver who could keep a TV or radio station on air or fix the cabin electricity on a jet with a leatherman or Swiss army knife (always had one or the other). Had his wit and humor all the way until the end... I believe all the support, positive thoughts and prayers from others, and having felt like he had cheated death too many times to count, made for a quiet passing. His Swiss knife and flashlight that he always had on him are going with him. Along with a bottle of Hendricks and a Cohiba... That should get him in or out of trouble wherever Dad ends up!
    bobw likes this.
  7. Katoomer

Katoomer Silver Surfer

Oddometer:
    Germs/Gina, so sorry to hear of your fathers passing. Was not aware of his service or valiant struggles..thank you for sharing. I feel honored to have met him. Welcome home and thanks for taking us along for the ride. Spectacular adventure.
    USBYGS likes this.
  8. The Dick

The Dick The Brick Supporter

Oddometer:
    Life is a blessing we tend to take for granted and those around us who make it so, lest we forget! Lots of love!
    simestd and USBYGS like this.
  9. Fighter

Fighter Head Gruver

Oddometer:
    My condolences to both of you. You pops was a fine man.
    Fite
    USBYGS likes this.
  10. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:
    My condolances as well. You were fortunate to have such fond memories of your Dad and to have had him in your life for so long.
    USBYGS likes this.
  11. USBYGS

USBYGS Riding the World

Oddometer: