Use a bicycle Garmin on a Motorcycle anyone?

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by stromer04, Feb 1, 2010.

1. MrPulldown

MrPulldown Long timer

Oddometer:
    I use a garmin e-trex vista for both my mountain bike and my motorcycle. They use the same handlebar mount. It is currently my only speedo/odo for my motorcycle. Works great.
  2. go::ahead

go::ahead Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oh geez, we used first gen e-trex on the ambulance to get coordinates to helicopters on remote scenes. I would hate to actually have to navigate on that thing! No I need the capability for turn-by-turn for the forest roads out here
  3. bob393

bob393 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Over the past 11 years I've had half a dozen different gps's and none of them were perfect. Now I use my droid phone with Google maps and a dashboard app most of the time. Works fine here in the East with good cell coverage but I suspect it wouldn't due for you.
  4. go::ahead

Oddometer:
    Ya I have gotten away with that setup that last few years but here in New Mexico data coverage is limited to cities (all 3 of them). I know I won't find a "perfect" GPS because it will be used for too many different things, I have found Garmin 605 refurbs fairly cheap though so maybe I could get a dedicated moto gps later on without sinking in too much money
  5. go::ahead

Oddometer:
    Just scored a Garmin 605 for just over a bill on Ebay, I'll report back once I put some miles on the unit
  6. go::ahead

Oddometer:
    Finally figured out how to load freeware maps onto the Garmin, go to http://www.instructables.com/id/How...our-Garmin-GPS/step4/Copy-the-map-to-the-GPS/ to upgrade from Basecamp for free. With a decent street map I found online I can atleast search by address, nearest gas station, etc. Not quite turn-by-turn but pretty close! Since these units are made for cyclists I used an old seat tube I had in the parts bin to use as a mount, I spaced all the clamped surfaces with thick rubber. Hopefully I don't vibrate the thing to death riding down the highway...

[​IMG]
  7. victor441

victor441 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I picked up an Edge 200 today and it works OK on a motorcycle, put it on my Norton as the stock speedo does not work well...it has some features that work well on a MC. quick release mount, a backlight, and it would be easy to wire up a USB socket so that the charger cable could be connected full time...otherwise battery life is up to 14 hours per Garmin...rides can be uploaded to garmin connect or other sites (including Google earth) and that is a very cool feature but have only played with that a little so far.

[​IMG]
  8. FatChance

FatChance Road Captain

Oddometer:
    The eTrex 20 has turn by turn navigating, a good color screen that is very visible in bright light, takes custom maps, has a uSD card slot and only costs $165 at gpscity if anyone is looking for an alternative for these purposes.
  9. go::ahead

Oddometer:
    Might as well post up since I finally took a ride worth talking about, lately it has only been commuting around town. So yesterday I finally had a day off and decided to go wander around Los Alamos and the surrounding forests.
    The gps mostly serves as well as I'd hoped for my purposes. However I'm having issues using the navigation features, hoping its just because I loaded a freeware map on the unit. I can create a 'course' in Connect and navigate that way but when searching by address or for gas I get an error saying "no roads close to the starting location" and the unit just creates a straight line from point A to point B. Hopefully using a better Garmin map will solve that issue, anyone else experience that problem?

Other than that I'm very happy with it. Having a gps takes one element of uncertainty out of exploring the vast public lands around me. Yesterday I ended up taking forest roads around and through Bandalier National Monument

[​IMG]
  10. Jarrett2

Jarrett2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just found this thread via a Google search. I put my Garmin 820 on my Africa Twin today and will go for a ride and post results.

I've been using the Edge computers for the last 15,000+ miles on my road bicycles and they work great for that. 10 hour battery life, recharges really fast and gives me turn by turn directions. That's really all I need for the bicycle, not sure if it I need more for the motorcycle or not, but will test and post back.
  11. Jarrett2

Oddometer:
    I did a 50 mile ride with it yesterday and it worked fine. It's just a little small to see, but otherwise had all the functions. The road automatically loaded up to Garmin Connect at the end. It gives my girlfriend a live track link so she can see where I am in the ride, also will contact here if it detects a crash. Maybe if I get heavy into touring, I'll need more, seems to work for my needs at this point.
  12. Jarrett2

Oddometer:
    Did a 92 mile ride tonight and used a GPX course on the Edge 820 worked perfectly. I could actually hear it beeping at me for an upcoming turn up to 55 mph.
    victor441 likes this.
  13. KevinZucht

KevinZucht Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I use a Garmin 396 as my main, Garmin 810 and 550 backup....cell IF needed. I use this setup for rallies so I don't depend on one unit. I also carry maps, ya those paper thangs, a good compass. In my years doing Search and Rescue work I can't count the rescues I did because of dead gps/phones...and or not properly trained in there use. The number one thing I take with me.....COMMON SENSE!
    wbbnm likes this.
  14. Jarrett2

Oddometer:
    Thanks for bumping the thread. I've been using my Edge 820 for about 30,000 miles now. Works fine.

Since my eyes are getting worse with age, I recently bought an Edge Explore with a bigger screen and it is crap. Navigation doesn't work and Garmin won't support a fix.

I've since moved over to smartphone apps for nav.
    victor441 likes this.
  15. lkraus

lkraus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Garmin has never bothered to document exactly how the Zumo uses a pre-planned route. So the hard part is finding out how the Trip Planner uses the pre-planned route. Once you have that information, actually creating a reliable route is easy.

The Zumo 5xx and 39x models definitely will track all your rides automatically. They are found in the Tracks app under the Active tab, or found in internal storage using Basecamp where they appear as Active Logs.
  16. Jarrett2

Oddometer:
    I've done it. I wouldn't call it easy by any means. Using Garmin Connect to make a route and send it to the device over bluetooth is much easier.

Good to know. Wish that was more readily available.

Like with the course creation, uploading your ride after the fact is automatic with the Edge devices and results in this being automatically generated about the time you get your helmet off:

[​IMG]