Used 990 or go all out and finance a 790??

Discussion in 'Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)' started by Luke1, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Luke1

Luke1 hopeful adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi guys, the title explains it all really... I’ve been looking at 990s for a while but now with the release of the 790 not sure whether it’s worth the extra cost (like double) it would be nice to own a brand new machine but obviously there are all the new bike niggles to take into consideration but the knowledge that I know the history is comforting. I love the looks of the 990 and most of what I’ve read, I’ve not sat on a 790 yet or even seen one face to face, I’m English living in Colombia so I’ve got 2 weeks to wait before it’s released here... what’s the consensus? New owners, people in the know and those few people that like to be passive aggressive, I’m awaiting your depth of knowledge! Thank you
  2. pitbull

pitbull Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would say it depends on what you're going to use the bike for. If you're going to do primarily off road and trail type riding I would wait for the 790. If you're going to do primarily paved roads with a little off road riding, I would jump on a 990.
  3. tomdubz

tomdubz getting there Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, get the 990 put 30k km on it while saving pennies. In 3 years, the 790 niggles will be all worked out. Fuck financing.

And methinks the jury is still out on the offroad/paved road thing. Might be a wash. They'll both need modifying for hard off-road. FWIW, I've off-roaded the piss out of my 990 and it's still ticking at 80k miles. Yet, I still suffer from 790 lust. Must. Resist.
    trautfel and Luke1 like this.
  4. Rharr

Rharr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You are in england, get a 1090, which will better match the more street and green lanes you have. I have a buddy who moved from AZ to UK and bought a 990, didn't like it, not refined enough, bought a 1090 and has been much happier. I think the 990 and 790 will be to much on the dirt side of things and you won't be able to fully utilize it.
  5. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have been fortunate to buy a few new bikes over the years and I've bought and enjoyed the heck out of a lot of used ones too.

The depreciation hit on a new bike is huge. If the purchase price of the 790 weighs heavily on your mind best to figure on doubling down on that pain when it's time to sell it. Figure a minimum of 20% depreciation hit the first year.

But... motorcycles are an emotional thing so if you can afford to lose the first year depreciation and want the 790 do it.

Otherwise pick up a well sorted 990 and spend the money you saved on a month long motorcycle vacation. ;)
  6. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    ...and I was thinking the exact opposite about those two bikes, but i haven't rode a 790.
  7. opanos

opanos Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    get a 990, there is no reason going for the 790, especially since we are talking about the early production models...I would wait at least 2-3 years to let the bike ''mature'' before even considering buying it...
  8. zimtim

zimtim Adventurer

Oddometer:
  9. Luke1

Luke1 hopeful adventurer

Oddometer:
    Haha I’m actually back for a month in July... this could be a good option!
    zimtim likes this.
  10. Luke1

Luke1 hopeful adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was also thinking this but don’t know if the whole moving production of the bike from Austria to China will be a factor that affects quality? Probably not as I assume it will be made next to hondas and yamahas etc...
  11. Luke1

Luke1 hopeful adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’m actually from the UK living in Colombia, where trails don’t exist so much as I un-paved roads that make for great dirt riding (even though the look normal on the maps) and coming from mostly dual sport singles I don’t think the refined-ness of the 990 would be worse than what I’m used to...
  12. Luke1

Luke1 hopeful adventurer

Oddometer:
    Must . Resist... maybe all bikers need an AA equivalent for spending money on bikes... the only problem is that the support group would encourage spending so they can have a go!
  13. opanos

opanos Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i think that this is an urban legend, talking about the fact that production has moved to china, in fact i think that the bike is still produced in Austria. Also I can tell for sure that quality is lower than previous models and previous production years, but this is due to new quality standarts that have been set.

I don't think that the bike is worthing the price they are asking, and there are a lot of issues as it is still a new model. If I were you, I would get a well sorted 990, zero problems, and with a few twitches, it would be much better on or off road...and you will still have a lot of money left. And if you still like the 790 after a few years, you can get one that is not going to have any early production issues, sell your 990 with small or no depreciation and get the newer model.
    Dewi and Luke1 like this.
  14. chippertheripper

chippertheripper motorcycle junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m in the same boat.
    790, 990, 950, SE, 690, which way to turn???
    I’ll chime back in once I have eyes on a 790 in the flesh.
  15. Luke1

Luke1 hopeful adventurer

Oddometer:
    Boom! I think that’s the ticket isn’t it... let the niggles be ironed out and enjoy an older bike that’s already been fully farkled for massively less and enjoy it just as much!
    Dewi likes this.
  16. Kiwi Pete

Kiwi Pete Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey bud, here's my experience:
    Bought a 950 in 2006, had it 10 years, loved it, did all sorts on it (it spent some time in Bogota!)
    Sold 950, bought 1190 R - did not get on with it at all - was just too much (go on, judge away ;-))
    Sold the 1190 R, bought a used 990. Spent every single ride fixing something (often previous owners bodges).
    Sold 990, bought a 790 R - love it. Is better than 9x0. I intend to own this bike for 10 years+ so knowing no one else has messed with it is one of the reasons I bought new.

You're going to get a million opinions here just because everyone likes different things and has a different outlook on life and bikes.

My opinion: if you can find a low-ish mileage unmolested, cheap, 990 then go for it. If you can afford a 790 and plan to own it for while then go for that ;-)

Either way they're great bikes, enjoy.

Pete
    Hico, 2 SPOT, Mud Bucket and 5 others like this.
  17. trautfel

trautfel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Where in Colombia are you? Im currently based in Bogota, after recently selling my KLR and my 640 Adv I had the same dilema....I decided to get a well kept 990 and wait till all the bugs are fixed on the 790. So far very happy.
    Luke1 likes this.
  18. Luke1

Luke1 hopeful adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi, I also live in Bogota! Maybe we can meet for a beer (until I have a bike when we should go on a ride!)
  19. JohnnyWaffles

JohnnyWaffles Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Every problem with the 990 has been figured out and posted on. I was late into the game in 2013 and was able to preempt every single issue whether it was trimming the rear mud flap or re-routing some wires. Inevitably something(s) will come up with the 790, like any new bike, and take some time for the community and aftermarket to get it sorted out. That's my take on this.
  20. Mud Bucket

Mud Bucket Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a 2010 990R and for all the marbles I put a deposit on a 2020 790R, get it in November. I figure dive in the water is warm. 2020 production from what I was told is not made in China..... yet. I believe the year after they start.
    I bought the 990R not even sitting on it first. I knew it would be awesome. It did not disappoint. Lately after a few trips with a friend with the 1290R I see Auxiliary tanks and fuel range sucking with my 990. On Paper, the 790R is almost as tall for suspension, almost equal horse power, 40 pounds lighter, 450km per single tank depending on throttle, and New!. They have also figured on change on the fly ABS shut off and traction control. I like this. This unicorn has to be ridden.
    Maybe I'll own both for a bit to compare. The 990's hold their value very well.
    Good luck with your decision, either way is awesome.
    Luke1, pitbull and desert sky like this.