Used 990 or go all out and finance a 790??

Discussion in 'Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)' started by Luke1, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Dewi

Dewi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was in this same predicament.

Went a sorted 990R with all the extras for well under half the cost.

I'll look at 790s when there are sorted used ones about. If they last.
    Crazygreek likes this.
  2. Pedec

Pedec Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I went with 2013 990 baja that was almost like new with 4000k I went through same debate as you. This is my first adventure bike so I wanted something proven and cheaper to try them out plus did not want to wait to get one. So far not disappointed just got back from 3 day 1200km adventure ride bike worked great. At one point had to take front fender off due to wheel not rolling due to mud but that all part of the fun. Bike is getting scratched and beat up a little already but man it worth it for how much fun it can give a guy. On highway home on first fill today did 193km on 11L of fuel so not that bad going 120km/h that works out 350km for a full tank. Off road riding hard not as good but will get 250km out of a tank riding fairly hard. Forgot how much fun tenting off a bike can be at freezing temps in the rain for a 50 year old guy. IMG_3073.JPG . A big dirt bike you can ride down the highway fast on the way home.
    KSPLS, pwh, Crazygreek and 3 others like this.
  3. Pedec

Pedec Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    3d425794-9ef8-496d-933d-8163fd8905a8.jpg
    KSPLS likes this.
  4. Wastedavid

Wastedavid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey! I also have my bike in Bogotá, a lovely 990 Adv.R 2012. I was thinking the same, of getting the new 790 or just closing my eyes to temptation and just keep my Cabrita 990. If we talk in COP, 790 is 54 millions, with all the accesories you may like to install let's say 57. A 990, goog quality and maintained ones (like mine, so proud hehehe) is around 25 to 30 millions; important to look for them in Powershop with Tian or Shako, which is my preferred one, nowhere else.
    I just decided to keep my 990, those extra almost 20-30 millions COP I will use in some other stuff. Also remind, financial system in Colombia is the most abusive one I´ve seen in this planet, so don't give them the chance to steal your work out of your pockets.

I'll be in Colombia in next couple of weeks, so keep in touch, maybe we can go some routes I've been thinking of or maybe ride for a burger in Chía or nearby. Cheers!!! Nos pillamos, todo bien!!!
    Luke1 and Crazygreek like this.
  5. Luke1

Luke1 hopeful adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was surprised by how fat the jowl tanks make it. It’s wider than a 990! And for me aesthetic wise the width is in the wrong place!!
  6. chippertheripper

chippertheripper motorcycle junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Screw the aesthetics and get the 790r. Thank me later.
    It’s that good.
  7. Luke1

Luke1 hopeful adventurer

Oddometer:
    if it’s that good can you give me a good rate on a loan? :rofl
  8. chippertheripper

Oddometer:
    Depends what you consider good...
  9. Luke1

Luke1 hopeful adventurer

Oddometer:
    Better than Ktm offers :deal
  10. 2 SPOT

2 SPOT bring the rape whistle

Oddometer:
    since the 790 has been out we have learned the 990 is heavy, underpowered, poorly suspended, antiquated and very hard to ride. it used to be a great bike, and guys used to be able to ride them well. but things change.

the 990 is the new KLR, save yourself the agony:lol3
    CaseyB likes this.
  11. chippertheripper

Oddometer:
    Says the guy with the upside down 990 as his pic....
  12. 2 SPOT

Oddometer:
    excactly,,, the 990 is a hard bitch to ride.:p3rry
    nk14zp likes this.
  13. chippertheripper

Oddometer:
    790 ain’t.
    The 790r stock is way better than my 990 with sprung and revalved squishy bits ever thought of being, a slight loss in torque off the bottom notwithstanding.
    I’m not an excitable character, but this thing lives up to the hype.
    However, if you’re happy, I’m happy.
    2 SPOT likes this.
  14. jho410

jho410 n00b

Oddometer:
    Chipper is right. I just finished the UTBDR on my 990 with buddies on a 790 and a 1290, and it performed well - even Lockhart Canyon. However, I had to carry an extra gallon of gas (poor MPG on 990) and I was still far off their range. Also rode the 790 and it had more power than the 990 (a bit less torque as noted), was lighter, quieter, better suspended and easier to ride (WAY better in sand). However, I am not paying $16k OTD for one when I can upgrade to a used 1090R for around $10k. The 790 will have to wait until used ones are available.
  15. nk14zp

nk14zp Long timer

Oddometer:
    A well sorted 950.
    The_Eccentric likes this.
  16. macaw1us

macaw1us Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So what did you end up doing?
    It seem like many are switching to the 790 from larger bikes and they are happy.
    I decided to just in with a 2020 and I'm getting the Rally.
    I'll probably have it for a long time.

17. 2 SPOT

Oddometer:
    good choice, of course people are happy, the 790 is smaller and lighter. the 990 is a great all around bike but smaller and lighter is always better if you like dirt.
  18. chippertheripper

Oddometer:
    This conversation had me thinking.

If I was a guy who’d gotten a 950 in 04, or sprung for a S in 06 with longer legs, I’m pretty confident I’d still be totally in love with it and poopoo this next generation that just sprung (1x90 bikes are glorified street bikes imo, and not really in the same exact vein).
    However, after owning a 990 long after the lc8’s platforms inception, I think objectively, this 790 is the next logical step towards true off-road capable big bike that the 950 embodied.

The rollout and scarcity of the R’s on this first batch is total horseshit. I can’t gather why they didn’t flip the production numbers of standards vs r models.
    There’s a couple little annoyances with the bike itself, but 2 and maybe all of my gripes are software driven, and I can’t find anything to complain about with the hardware yet. It’s astonishingly capable for its size in the woods, and comfy as all get out to cruise at 75mph down the interstate...the only qualifier is that I think at 5’8”, they built the ergos around someone my size.
  19. trautfel

trautfel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm 6'2 and 34 inseam. I sat on a 790 r (didnt ride it) and maybe its not enough to tell but just from the knee angle it seemed to me on a longer ride I'd be more comfortable on my 990.
    nk14zp likes this.
  20. 2 SPOT

Oddometer:
    good, thats my objective with my posts.

i enjoy my 990, it suits me well, but i am a candidate for the 790r because i find myself in rocks and on two track jeep roads,,, alot. the 790 would absolutely be a benefit to me, but i'm not ready to buy a new bike just yet. and honestly the husky 701 is still on my radar, so i have decisions to make when the time comes. have you had a 701?

i agree the scarcity on the r's might be horseshit,,, but i think its a calculated thing on KTM's part. the R is in damand of course,, but the standard is an attractive model to alot of guys who would be buying gs800 or tiger800 whatever, judging by all the interest in the yamaha T7 there are ALOT of guys out there who dont need a top performance bike,,, just a capable and fun bike.
    nk14zp and chippertheripper like this.