Used 990 or go all out and finance a 790??

Discussion in 'Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)' started by Luke1, Apr 25, 2019.

1. chippertheripper

chippertheripper motorcycle junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    I haven’t had a 690/701. The 690 was the only real other option for me at this point, if the 790r didn’t satisfy me when I finally saw and touched it. I’d also been thinking about a 990r, but I figured I’d be happier with a kitted lc4, as my old 400 I wish I’d never sold.
    As soon as I saw the 790, and lifted it off the kickstand I knew it was gonna be a great bike.
    Even if I had to send the suspension out (which I figure is a gimme with every bike) it’s still got all the vibe of the original adventure, with modern amenities that as much as I hate to admit: are actually useful. And electronic cruise (even though the module is on backorder currently). For a bike I plan to ride EVERYWHERE, including slabbing around to work and/or more fun destinations, that’s a huge selling point.
    So far, I’m pretty happy with the stock suspension, which is a huge surprise. Eventually it might need some tweaks, but I’ve done stuff that would’ve broken my wrists on my old 990’s stock stuff. I’ll be pretty frank and open with anything I don’t like about this thing, it other than a couple annoyances (like not getting off-road abs automatically when switching to off-road or rally mode), it’s a really good platform.
    2 SPOT likes this.
  2. KSPLS

KSPLS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm new here at ADV rider but I'll offer up my experience...
    I've been a Honda and Harley technician, filled many positions at a BMW/Triumph dealer, have been riding about 22 years now, and raced hare scrambles for a few years.

I recently saved a 2006 950 from it's second owner. This poor bike needed a ton of TLC. I've put a lot of hard work and money into this bike the last few months and it's been rewarding. I currently own a 2017 F800GSA which I don't have much interest in riding, especially after spending some quality time on the 950. My point is, if you can ride the new 790R for a LONG distance and take it on and off-road, do it. As plenty of us have found out, most seats feel great on a 5 mile test ride. You then take it home and start doing long rides and some off-road riding and realize just how much you love it/hate it.

The 950 is bike #31 for me now and I'm having just as much fun on this (on-road) as I did on my 2016 R1200GS and even more fun off-road.
    IMG_3429.jpg
  3. Bowser

Bowser Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    so choice, well made, reliable, well understood, wide range of extras/farkles etc, simple electrical system, cables that can be replaced if broken as opposed to???, mans bike for real riders only, one of the finest motorcycles ever made, buy it outright and still have 6000 in you pocket, one of the best looking motorcycles ever made.
    New, unknown, CAN BUS electrics, single point of failure in electronic unit controlling everything, expensive, physically small (built for midgets only), emasculating as its a woman's bike, fly by wire (why the fuck would you???), fragile micro switches as opposed to good old fashioned proper switch gear. Oh and its ugly as feck, with a face only a mother could love.

your choice, I have just sought to provide an objective review of both. I am nothing if not unbiased and objective.
    Manakau.KTM and KSPLS like this.
  4. Silverkap

Silverkap Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    990...there is not doubt about is!
  5. Dewi

Dewi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Layed my 990 down on a hard rocky base track. Along with my knee a few bits that stick out took a bit of damage. Footpeg took a fair bit of the brunt...
    A bit of banging and she was good to go.
    I'm still dubious of alloy peg brackets bolted to engine cases in this scenario. I prefer an off road frame design for off roading.
    I'm sure the 790 with its geometry, weight distribution, lower weight, etc make it a great bike to ride, but in the middle of nowhere, how does it crash?
    I'd love a 790 but a great handling bike built around a road style chassis still hasn't convinced me. I'm hoping time will tell that they are bulletproof and I'll snap up a 2 yr old one.
  6. 2 SPOT

2 SPOT bring the rape whistle

Oddometer:
    they dont,, duh.
    Dewi likes this.
  7. Dewi

Dewi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lol. But I do, too much. :)