Used R1200GS vs Used Super Tenere?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by psalom625, Jun 20, 2021.

1. psalom625

psalom625 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello everyone, I am agonizing on which bike to get. My main priorities are a comfortable riding position and shaft drive. Thus, a used R1200GS or a Super Tenere would fit the bill.

My issue is deciding if the increased cost of the BMW is justified.
    Some of the advantages I see for the BMW are:

1) Resale value holds a lot better
    2) Engine Performance is better on the BMW
    3) Suspension feel is better due to the telelever system

Some advantages I see for the Yamaha are:

1) Cheaper to maintain
    2) Much larger dealer network
    3) Much cheaper to purchase

Part of me thinks that I won't notice the increased performance of the BMW if I were to get the Yamaha. On the other hand, I have an itching feeling that if I were to get the Yammy, I would regret it because it's not what I really wanted from the get go--in other words, "buy nice or buy twice".

Any thoughts / opinions on people who have ridden / purchased both? I can test drive a BMW but not a Yamaha in my area.
  2. Jack D

Jack D Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a low suspension 2016 GS and had a 2014 Tenere. I only use/used them for touring. I am small of stature and short of leg. The Tenere felt much taller, heavier and longer. It handled like it was top heavy because it was. Although the Tenere valves only required checking half as often it was a much more difficult procedure. The Tenere always sounded like the starter was laboring to turn the engine over but it always started. You could not put a disc lock on it as the rear rotor was not drilled and if you put a lock on the front and rolled the bike backwards the lock would break the plastic fork cover which IIRC was part of the fender. I am not a fan of the BMW company although I have nothing against their motorcycles. The GS engine is much noisier and BMW parts are incredibly (ludicrously) expensive. But they do sell a low version of their motorcycles which is important to me. Both bikes need a different seat for comfort. I also had a 2011 low suspension GS. The suspension was poor and after buying new Wilber's shocks and having Ted Porter's shop revalve them they were much better, about the same as the Tenere. It also did not have cruise control which is desirable for long distance riding. Although I do not intend to use any 500+ pound bike for off road riding I have done a little on all 3 bikes mentioned and the Tenere was the worst IMHO.
    lhendrik and sprouty115 like this.
  3. Motorius

Motorius Road trippin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    Owned a R12GS, have ridden an S10 once, have a KTM 1290SAT now. Sold GS due to knee issues, otherwise would still own it.

my personal comments:

1) the GSW is a much more refined bike. Very well engineered (though like all bikes it has its issues), good powerband, and of the three probably the best of the longer distance tourers.

2) if I wanted to buy a bike just to thrash it off-road snd not feel to bad about it I’d buy the S10. Not nearly as pricey as the GS, so anything you break will cost less to fix. Has plenty of power and a nice ride.

3) 1290SAT (mind is a 2015). This is a hooligan bike. It gets up and goes. Reminds me of a throaty muscle car. Not as ‘classy’ as a GS. Wish it did not have a chain. Not as much wind protection as a GS.

every one of these bikes needs a much better than stock seat. The stock 1290 has an 8 gal gas tank. The other two much smaller unless you step up to a GSA. Routing shit around up front on the GS is easy, on the 1290 you’ll rip everything off the bike to do anything up there. No knowledge on the S10.

why did I throw the 1290 in there? I don’t think you should rule it out. It’s better than the S10 imho if you ignore the chain.

I am mostly a tarmac guy. If I could have kept my GSW I would have. I like the 1290 better than the S10. The guy who’s S10 I rode liked my 1290 better as well.

that’s my bit…
    jrb_nw likes this.
  4. lewisjr1

lewisjr1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The used Tenere is cheaper for a reason. That is, those bikes don't hold their value for a reason. That BMW sells far, far greater volume of it's liter+ adventure bike is also telling.
  5. psalom625

psalom625 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't plan on doing major offroad riding, at most dirt/gravel or fire roads.
  6. MCGMB

MCGMB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you're buying used, the S10 has already taken the huge depreciation hit. So that issue is minimized.

IMO, you have to get the 2nd Gen (2014+) with cruise control and some nits worked out.

You can get a well accessorized bike in nice condition somewhere around $8,500 or so.

I own an S10 and it's worked great overall for me - handles well, balanced, super-stable, a wonderful tourer, and has been remarkably reliable. I'll admit my pro-S10 bias. But of course this thread was posted in a GS sub-forum, so I expect to be the counter-voice.
    lithodave and CatBehemoth like this.
  7. steve68steve

steve68steve Long timer

Oddometer:
    I currently own both: a 2014 ST with 51,000 miles which I bought new; and a 2019 R1250 GSA that I've only had for a few thousand miles that I just picked up used (1250 miles on the clock).

The ST was bulletproof for me: it was my DD and sole vehicle for a few years (I lived in FL at the time). It's commuted, toured, camped, rallied, took me to everywhere I went for a few years. I ran a bunch at sea level 95 deg F and humid, I ran it a few weeks at the 4 corners (10k' elevation, 115deg F). It's been dropped in FL sand, on Ophir CO rocks, it's been upside-down in a WV muddy ditch. It's done high heat stop-and-go traffic, long freeway runs at 80+mph, and tail of the dragon in both Summer and on New Year's Day. It's been to about 20 States. Excepting tires, it only stranded me once with a bad battery, needing a jump start.

It has a few kinks - if you drop it unprotected on the left side, you'll be buying a new radiator fan, for example. Valve inspection are a major PITA because parallel twin. The UBS eats rear brake pads pretty quickly.

It's a fantastic bike which suffers in reviews by being perfectly placed in the ADV category: not the best road bike, not the best dirt bike, but maybe the best compromise between the two.

The BMW is all that and a latte maker. It's smooth, it's nice, it's fast, it's blinged out. There's a certain "aw yeah" factor - or maybe a "I've arrived" factor when I'm on it. It's the class leader for a reason. I haven't had it long enough to comment on reliability. I'm expecting cost of ownership to be significantly more than with the ST. The ergos are close, but slightly different.

It really, really, is apples v. oranges. Riding each should be the deciding factor.
  8. FALCONSEYE

FALCONSEYE Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I own a super tenere. I took a 1200 gsa for a demo ride. I was super surprised when I took a u-turn half of the lane casually. I didn't even try. I thought I was on drugs or something. So, tried again with the same result. The geometry on this bike is brilliant.
  9. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    I own a 1200GS and have bought and ridden/delivered the S10 for an International Traveler...the quality difference is immediately evident. If I had never ridden a 1200GS I feel the S10 would be a great bike....BUT...the BMW makes everything else I have ridden pale in comparison. It just SUITS me. I have handled KTM/Harley/Yamaha/Suzuki/Kawasaki/Honda of all models and ages......the KTM comes close or even in quality. As soon as I SAT on the Tenere I found it lacking in the quality I have come to enjoy from BMW. BUT again...the Tenere is a great bike and suits many people. There is no doubt the BMW is of better quality and therefore costs more.
    Madman4049 and SPX like this.
  10. bigjohnsd

bigjohnsd '14 BMW R1200 GS Adv Supporter

Oddometer:
    I came off of an FJR and a KLR - wanted to buy one bike.
    I tried a 14 S10 and a 14 GSA, I just didn't "Feel it" on the S10.
    Bought the 14 GSA and haven't looked back.
    You have to love the bike you buy, ride both and buy the one that trips your trigger/floats your boat.
    Too many people worry about what others think/say. Your $$, your A$$, Your Bike!
  11. Callisto224

Callisto224 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Will you be able to test ride a used S10 when you find one to buy?

A test ride of each potential bike will really help you decide which one to get.
  12. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm Long timer

Oddometer:
    We've owned '14 Super Tenere ES & '15 non-ES.

Buy the BMW.
    Madman4049 likes this.
  13. psalom625

psalom625 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    None of the dealerships allow for test rides
  14. MCGMB

MCGMB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Go to the Yamaha website and search for “events” and filter on demos.

Yamaha had a demo truck tour that goes around the country and has a Super Tenere in the fleet. The new ones are the same going back to ‘14.

That was what convinced me to make the purchase.
    Wandergives and Callisto224 like this.
  15. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist Mehr Gelände Weniger Straße

Oddometer:
    It looks like you answered your own question...
    GSASofia and steve68steve like this.
  16. psalom625

psalom625 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hah, fair enough
  17. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    Neither used nor new? That's strange selling concept... :hmmmmm
  18. steve68steve

steve68steve Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm pushing back against the BMW having obviously better "quality" than the S10. I think the fit and finish of both bikes is great. The BMW is more 'advanced' (I am comparing a 2019 BMW to a 2014 S10, but I don't think the S10 has changed since 2014).

If one bike has a TFT and one has a monochrome LED, the former is not higher quality than the latte - it's higher spec. Bikes have to be made at a profit - it's not fair to compare the standard equipment or features or bling of two bikes when one costs 30% more than the other. It's "you get what you pay for", not "A is higher quality than B."

If cheap is goal #1, get a KLR.
    If you want more zing and can pay a bit more, get a VStrom. Then an S10. Then a BMW. Each is a step up the ladder of features and luxury for more $, not of higher and higher quality (where "quality" is some admixture of reliability, frequency and cost of maintenance and repairs, etc.)
    jdub and MCGMB like this.
  19. psalom625

psalom625 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I like this response. I guess I'm just uncomfortable with spending $20k+ on a motorcycle.
    lithodave likes this.
  20. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    ^ V-strom it is then... :D
    Mattbastard and Argyle like this.