Username

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by hypersports, May 11, 2020.

1. r60man

r60man Long timer

Oddometer:
    Waaaaay back in 1995 I got an Apple Computer with online access. So I signed up for AOL and I needed a handle. Well I had an R60/6 out in the parking lot, so I put in R60man. I met my wife on AOL with that handle, so it does have some sentimental value.
  2. CharlesLathe

CharlesLathe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very boring. The first forum I belonged to was a classic bicycle forum. The moderator insists that we use our proper names and be civil tword one another. Since I lack imagination, l've continued with that name, but I haven't, unfortunately, mastered the civility part.
    dharmadan and hypersports like this.
  3. mattoid1

mattoid1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mattoid was a medical diagnosis years ago, name change recently. Not my diagnosis.
    hypersports likes this.
  4. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    No, its gearbox and wood bearings are worn out. Being an uncommon orphan brand parts are unobtainable.
  5. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    What? A Ural owner/mechanic saying parts are unobtainable?
    dharmadan likes this.
  6. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've never worked on a Ural on top of a 35' tower. :D
    dharmadan and snglfin like this.
  7. iantochips

iantochips Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't call me Ian!

Ianto is a diminutive of the Welsh Evan. My grandfather was a South Wales miner, invalided out of the pit with silicosis, he opened a chip shop. In the Welsh way he was therefore universally known as Iantochips.

Witness of the police brutality at the Tonypandy miners' strike of 1910/11, given a death sentence due to working conditions with scant compensation, and losing his wife in childbirth, I revere both him and his generation. So, Iantochips.
  8. ZappBranigan

ZappBranigan Still Riding

Oddometer:
    Shamelessly stolen from the animated series "Futurama." Zapp had all the best lines.

"You men are all lucky men. Soon you'll be fighting for your planet. Many of you will be dying for your planet. A few of you will be forced through a fine mesh screen for your planet. Those are the luckiest men of all!"

"When I'm in command, EVERY mission is a suicide mission!"

"I am the man with no name: Zapp Branigan, at your service!"

"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"

“The way to a woman’s bed is through her parents. Have sex with them and you’re in.”

“Brannigan’s Law is like Brannigan’s love; hard and fast!”
  9. skag

skag No Monkeys

Oddometer:
    See you on the road,skag. The skags were the riders in Mad Max. Apparently it’s a high insult down under. :clap
  10. Upsidedowncreature

Upsidedowncreature Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I nicked mine from a children's book - The Wide Mouthed Frog by Michael Rosen. I think it's a common folk tale/joke but the book I took it from is Mr Rosen's telling of it. The book was a favourite of both my kids when they were small. I use it all over the place so I'm probably easily stalkable, if I was interesting enough!
  11. bluemtnridr

bluemtnridr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cuz thats where I live and ride.
  12. Tor

Tor Making Life A Ride

Oddometer:
  13. Gone in 60

Gone in 60 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I used to be an insurance fraud investigator. I always loved that in the original (1974) Gone in 60 Seconds, the cover for the car theft ring was that they were insurance investigators. In the opening scene, they lift a Dodge from the LAX parking lot, and swap the VIN tags over from a matching wrecked car. I investigated a case where that really happened.
  14. meatshield

meatshield Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm head of security at a hospital. There are plenty of intricacies to my job and I do have to act like an educated professional, but at the end of the day it's my job to make sure doctors and nurses don't stop someone's fist with their mouth or get choked out with a stethoscope. I borrowed "meatshield" from gaming slang because it's funnier than "tank."
    Gone in 60, snglfin and dharmadan like this.
  15. imspecialed

imspecialed n00b

Oddometer:
    Back in the '90s I got into bicycle racing pretty heavily. Specialized was really starting to come into its own as not just a bike maker but also apparel and helmet maker. I had a high-zoot helmet called the "Sub 6 Pro" - because it weighed less than 6 oz. The Specialized letters on the helmet were cut vinyl, and therefore easily removed. Well being a dumb college kid with nothing better to do one day, I took off the I and Z so the helmet now read "SPECIAL ED". Given my name is Ed this seemed ordained by the heavens. When out on rides, my buddies and fellow racers stared calling me Special Ed and it stuck. Also in the 90s this thing called the Internet really started to come into its own as well. When I needed to come up with a user name (and I think back then, maybe even now? they couldn't have spaces), special ed made sense. But I didn't want it to seem insensitive to the kids in Special Ed at school so I added the I'm.
    I guess I need to get an avatar, but I'm still a lurker, not yet a full-fledged Inmate so I don't have a picture of the GSA I have my heart set on. Soon though...Soon...
  16. dharmadan

dharmadan Life is short. Bikes are cheap.

Oddometer:
    In the 90s, came across "dharma" meaning God's will, or "Thy will be done." Then came Yahoo Mail and Hotmail. . .
    snglfin and hypersports like this.
  17. snglfin

snglfin this statement is untrue

Oddometer:
    i surf single fin longboards.
  18. kwthom

kwthom NOT CV-19 infected! >:0

Oddometer:
    I posted this answer back in 2012 on a few other forums - recycled electrons, baby!! :lol3

I've been on-line in one form or another for well over 30 years.

Back in the day, memory was tight, so handles, screen names, user logins, whatever you want to call them were short & sweet and really needed to be unique.

In addition, I wanted it gender neutral, as some of the first personal usage of the Internet (before it really was the Internet), the login was shared with my wife. Recall that back in the day, each login used to cost extra $$$, depending on which systems you used.

Finally, my first & last name is the exact same as a very well known computer scientist, Turing Award winner, and creator of major operating systems. There was no way I wanted to be confused with computer royalty such as him.

Maybe the real answer...creativity factor approaching zero :photog
  19. Clambucket

Clambucket It’s gotta work!! Right? Maybe? Uh-oh...

Oddometer:
    My previous life as crane operator, same as my Dad, and my Grand father here on the Great Lakes. Then I settled down... kind of.

Attached Files:

dharmadan, snglfin and hypersports like this.
  20. Plaka

Plaka Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer:
    a brand of paint. longer story than a want to type out.
    hypersports likes this.