Ushuaia in winter? July? Now? Possible?

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by Dvvjd, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Dvvjd

Dvvjd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’m trying to find information on current road conditions and weather down there. I look at weather apps and see it’s cold buuut it’s above freezing and I can deal with those temperatures.

My main concern is if the roads are frozen or what kind of snow we’re talking a about . How do y’all find information on this?

Is it possible? Or am I dreaming. I’ve been talking to people City by city and get mixed reviews. Some people say go do it. Others say impassable. Never know what to believe. I’m currently in Mendoza and was told it was freezing here / snow.... but it ain’t that bad. Riding around comfortably.

So, Ushuaia in July? Yay / nay? How can I find detail road conditions?

IMG_1093.jpg
  2. zolo

zolo Moto Patagonia Tours and Rentals in Chile

Oddometer:
    It really depends on what route you want to take and if you want to stop and see things. Many places will be closed as its a seasonal area for visitors.
    Some parts of the Carretera Austral will for sure have snow and ice on the road. Ruta 40 also, I've seen snow on Ruta 40 in November before.
    Patagonia weather is minute by minute. Id say, like others, that it could be done but it wont be much fun.

If you have the time to wait I recommend that. Passing through the south and far south are more enjoyable when things are open and the off bike activities like the short hikes, rafting, and boat rides are all operating. Some of the stuff is touristy but still awesome and other stuff is not touristy but still seasonal.
    Parcero, Quindio and Secret Agent Man like this.
  3. Dvvjd

Dvvjd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yah it’s too cold/ rainy. “I’m tired, I think I’ll go home now...”

Now just finding how / where to cross into Chile where it’s not under freezing temps.
  4. zolo

Oddometer:
    Yeah the pass from Mendoza to Los Andes will for sure be snowed in.
    On the Chilean side its a ski area actually and then a giant wall of switch backs down the mtn. Not a place Id want to ride moto in the winter.
    Not sure how to get across the Andeas right now near Santiago on a moto. The pass is probably open but there may be a chain rule now and it may not be plowed enough to ride. Im not sure.
    Parcero likes this.
  5. Dvvjd

Dvvjd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yah the borders twitter says chains required. I think Wednesday is the only day temps aren’t below freezing. Might have to ride back up to salta ! No idea idk
    zolo likes this.
  6. miguelR

miguelR biker

Oddometer:
  7. Dvvjd

Dvvjd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Parcero likes this.
  8. Dvvjd

Dvvjd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You mean these switch backs???? Just got to Santiago

IMG_1320.jpg

IMG_1296.jpg
    Parcero and jonz like this.
  9. zolo

Oddometer:
    Yep those are the ones! Glad you made it, looks like decent weather.