Using a Garmin Nuvi as an ADV GPS

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by Yinzer Moto, Nov 13, 2016.

1. MrBob

MrBob Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m looking at a used or refurbished Nuvi for on-road use, but, in the past, linking GPS units with my Macs has sometimes been a PITA. How is Apple compatability these days?
  2. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto aka: trailer Rails Supporter

Oddometer:
    I only use Mac. It seems to work.
  3. Shawnee Bill

Shawnee Bill Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I use a Mac and it seems to be cable dependent, I have one cable that seems to work (link) every time but identical looking cables are very hit and miss. Keep track of the cable that comes with the GPS.
    BTW, this has been my experience not only for the Nuvi but every Garmin I've tried..

Yinzer Moto likes this.
  4. ShOqUePoT

ShOqUePoT GS Pot

Oddometer:
    Dumb question: Are there any Nuvi's that come from the factory waterproof? I know they make a nice mount/cable setup (I have a couple) for the 500/550 for "off-road adventure" use and it seems that would make no sense if the unit weren't water proof.
    Edit: I looked it up and it seems that they are waterproof from Garmin. Good to know.
  5. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    Yes, those 500/550 units are the holy grail of Nuvi units. My buddy has one and have been keeping my eyes pealed of one on the cheap.
  6. torch

torch Solo Trecker

Oddometer:
    Is $37.20 on the cheap? Just won on fleabay!
    Yinzer Moto likes this.
  7. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    Cheaper than any other GPS alternative
  8. boulet_boulet

boulet_boulet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What makes them the Holy Grail? Just the waterproofing?
    Yinzer Moto likes this.
  9. ShOqUePoT

ShOqUePoT GS Pot

Oddometer:
    If anyone needs a cradle and cable for the Nuvi 500/550 I've got one in the flea market
  10. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    Essentially, they can be found cheap, they are robust and waterproof from the factory.
  11. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    They also have a power cord that is not a USB mini B?

Do the nuvi 500 and 550 accept 12V or is it still 5V? (And by 12V, I mean 10V to 15V.)
    Yinzer Moto likes this.
  12. advNZer?

advNZer? Long timer

Oddometer:
    if your nuvi has a "trip planner app" you can build a route in basecamp export i to to the nuvi and it will show on the nuvi when you select "trip planner" .You can navigate from ANYWHERE to any point on the trip by selecting the point in the route you want to start from.The nuvi will navigate you from where you are to the via point you have selected as "next"
  13. advNZer?

advNZer? Long timer

Oddometer:
    explore your nuvi a little bit more and you will find an "archive folder " where the older TRACKS are stored.They may eventually get overwritten too
    Yinzer Moto likes this.
  14. advNZer?

advNZer? Long timer

Oddometer:
    look for a nuvi that has "trip planner"
    Yinzer Moto likes this.
  15. Grinnin

Oddometer:
    My 1300 starts overwriting archived tracks after about 4,800 miles or 41,000 track points. May be different for 1300s with more or fewer maps in the unit's memory.

EDIT: I see the original Yinzer post is from 2016. Is this still a question?
    Yinzer Moto likes this.
  16. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    Not for me but it is good info for others that are looking.

I have mostly been using a Montana but I still like the Navi as a backup unit when the Montana craps out. As I believe I stated in the original post, the Nuvi treated me well for many years and helped me learn in an easier manner than jumping headfirst into the more advanced units.
    Grinnin likes this.
  17. advNZer?

advNZer? Long timer

Oddometer:
    are you talking about the actual archive folder where you may find many older archives,not just the current saved tracks.My 2350 and 2797 both have a seperate archives folder
  18. Grinnin

Oddometer:
    Archived tracks in the archive folder. Your nuvis are several years newer than these 1300s.

My nuvi 1300, today, has a "Current" file of 2.3MB and 1,200 miles then the archive folder has about 46 MB which looks like about 4,500 miles. Each archived file overlaps a whole lot with the previous and next files. All together there are several copies of each logged point. The file "Current" has tracks from many days. The most recent archived file has tracks from many of those same days that are in the current file.

I don't know if this is on purpose or if it's a bug. The UI doesn't show any way to change the archive setting to "daily" or "when full" like the UI for the Montana. It's all automatic and it keeps multiple copies of each day's tracks.

nuvi 1300 V.5 2GB Software 5.80 . I stopped updating this in 2011 but have added maps on uSD and OSM maps in memory since then. When I was still updating this nuvi, the archive files still had duplicate copies of track points; this isn't just version 5.80.
    Yinzer Moto likes this.
  19. advNZer?

advNZer? Long timer

Oddometer:
    that tallies with my units.I havent looked closely but the archive which is completely automatic seems rather random and as you say often had duplicates.I guess being newer they have more storage and so the archives are older
  20. monstermashcash

monstermashcash Riding away from Responsibilities

Oddometer:
    Thanks for this thread Yinzer, I was struggling with my new to me Nuvi 50 but now I've got the problem solved.
    Gonna use it to ride the CDR next month! Stoked
    Yinzer Moto likes this.