Using a Garmin Nuvi as an ADV GPS

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by Yinzer Moto, Nov 13, 2016.

1. Prospector1

Prospector1 n00b

Oddometer:
    So, I've been struggling to get the track images to appear on my Garmin Drivesmart 60 and 61devices to no avail. I'm starting to think the Drivesmart series don't support the gmapsupp.img file format. I hope I'm mistaken. I decided to load this same gmapsupp.img file into the "Garmin" folder on a Nuvi 265W that I have, and I can see my track overlay just fine on this device.
    Am I missing something in regards to loading onto my Drivesmart devices or is it just not possible? I'm loading the .img file directly to the device in the "Garmin" folder as I don't have an available memory card. Works just fine on the Nuvi 265W.

Really been scratching my head with this.
    Yinzer Moto likes this.
  2. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Everything you are doing sounds correct. Especially since it works on the Nuvi 265W. I have no experience with the drivesmart device.
    Prospector1 likes this.
  3. Prospector1

Prospector1 n00b

Oddometer:
  4. Prospector1

Prospector1 n00b

Oddometer:
    Looks like creating a separate "Map" folder in the root directory of the Garmin Drivesmart series did the trick. What's nice is you can put multiple .img files in the Map folder at the same time and toggle via the device which maps(tracks) you want active at any given time. Works very well for adding tracks. Not so well for routes I've created and converted to .img
    Yinzer Moto likes this.
  5. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    Yeah, routes don’t convert to .img. Tracks only.
    Prospector1 likes this.
  6. boulet_boulet

boulet_boulet Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm wondering if when using Imgfromgpx if I want POIs in my created gmapsupp file, do I need to make all of the POIs the same style? In the example below I have joined the track files for various BDRs, etc, but I want to maintain the POIs as well. If I understand how the program works, I need to define the POIs as a certain style and each individual line must use the same POI style?
    IMGfromGPX.png

Does anyone have suggestions for effectively using POIs in Imgfromgpx? A particular favorite style when the style chose can't be relevant to all of the POIs in the selected files?
  7. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    I always just picked a random POI style. I have not seen how it changes what is displayed. I am sorry I don’t have more info than that. There are a few around here who are experienced with that program and might have a better explanation.
    Grinnin and boulet_boulet like this.
  8. RCinNC

RCinNC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I really want to thank Yinzer Moto for this thread. It took me a couple tries on my Garmin Nuvi 2455 to figure out what I was doing, but ultimately I was able to get an overlay of the MABDR to appear on the GPS. I'd already created an actual route of the MABDR for the Nuvi that will give turn by turn directions, which I plan on running on the Garmin as I travel the route. I figure if I get in one of those situations where the GPS starts recalculating the route because I missed a waypoint, I will at least be able to see where the actual route is on the screen and I'll be able to get back on it without having to follow the GPS's rerouting directions.

Here's what it looks like on a Nuvi screen....

MABDR on a Nuvi.jpg
    Yinzer Moto and boulet_boulet like this.
  9. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    I am glad it worked out for you. I use this method on all of my GPS units. I get all the work done in the comfort of home and then load in the GPS. Then all I have to do is ride my bike once out on the road. Turn by turn is nice but I would frequently miss a waypoint by a few fee and then the GPS would go crazy trying to get me to turn back. It was not worth it for me.
  10. RCinNC

RCinNC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had a chance to try this out today, and I have to say, it's a really great way to plan and follow a route.

I plotted a 100 mile route using MyRoute (my preferred map program since Tyre went by the wayside). I downloaded the route to my laptop as a .gpx file. Once I had that, I opened the route on Basecamp, and converted the route to a track. I assigned the track a green color, since I figured it would contrast nicely with the usual purple navigation line that is standard with a Garmin GPS. I then exported the newly created track to my laptop, and then imported that file into IMGfromGPX program, where I created the map image for the track. I then dragged this image into the "Map" folder on the Garmin. As soon as I turned the Garmin on and viewed the map, the entire route was visible as a green line.

I then used the MyRoute program to load the GPX route onto my Garmin. This showed up as a purple line on the Garmin. To my surprise, the green line of the GPS image was on top of the purple navigation line; I thought it would be the reverse of this, and the purple line would be on top. In any event, you could see both the green line of the map image and the purple navigation line on the screen. The advantage of importing the turn by turn gpx file is that you'll still get things like turn by turn directions, time of arrival info, distance info, etc. The advantage to having the map image is that, if you miss a waypoint or something and the GPS starts trying to reroute you in circles, you can still see your original route (the green one) on the screen, which makes it a LOT easier to get back onto your route instead of following the GPS's rerouting directions. Plus, with the image overlay of the route, I can zoom out and see the whole route; with the turn by turn route, you can only see the route up to the next waypoint.

Just as an experiment, I deliberately deviated from the turn by turn route. As Garmins are wont to do, it started trying to reroute me, but since Garmins don't like to recommend u-turns unless there's no alternative, it began to try to route me in a giant circle that would have taken at least several miles to get back to where I deviated from the route. And when you deviate from the original turn by turn route, that route disappears in favor of the new rerouted one. With the image overlay, I could see where the original route was when I deviated from it, and it was simple to get back to it.

All in all, I really like the way this works. I wouldn't do it for every single ride, but for something like the MABDR where staying on the specific route is important, I think it'll be terriffic. It will even allow you to display the main route, alternate routes, and things like the expert sections, all at the same time (something you can't do with the turn by turn routes). You can even display them in different colors to differentiate one from another. It really expands the usefulness of a car based GPX. Screen 1.jpg Screen 2.jpg
    Yinzer Moto likes this.
  11. SK_in_AB

SK_in_AB LOOKin to GS

Oddometer:
    Another simple alternative to keep the power plug in place I buy the blue sticky tack used to put posters up on wallls. A nice lump of it around the plug before you put it in is then pressed against the NAV back. Seems to hold it well against vibrations. I have used the same Nuvi for 4 years on street and mild off-road including the Dempster. My only complaint is poor screen visibility in bright light
    Yinzer Moto likes this.
  12. Bigfoot17

Bigfoot17 n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm totally lost. I have a nuvi260 and want to try this. The last time I updated maps I had to use an SD card. Will this affect the mapping if I replace it with my preplanned map. Still having trouble understanding waypoints, poi, tracks and routes. Is there a video that shows how to make this work?
    Thanks
  13. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    No, you can use a SD card or the on board memory to load an img file.

If you go to Google maps and drop a pin on a place you want to go, it creates a route to get you there. The pin is essentially a waypoint. It will give you turn by turn directions to get there. If you make a wrong turn on your way there, the route will recalculate and try and get you back on course. A route can have multiple waypoints, the trouble begins with the sensitivity of some GPS units. If you are running multiple waypoints on a route, you need to pass through every single one, in order. Or else you’ll need to turn back and hit that waypoint or figure out a way to cancel it on your GPS unit. The can be annoying, especially when riding with a group. The basic Nuvi units are not compatible with routes that you create on a computer.

A track is is basically a line drawn on the map, you have to physically keep your icon on the line. As if someone highlighted a line on the map for you. If you deviate from the line, the unit does not care will not try and make you go back to it. An img file behaves like a track file.
  14. Bigfoot17

Bigfoot17 n00b

Oddometer:
    What size SD card should I use? Currently testing a Garmin Nuvi260 and powering it up with an 11000mah charger pack. Works well and has lasted well past 24 hours.
  15. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    It all depends on the files you want to load, if you are storing complete maps on the SD, youll need a larger one.
  16. rswift-ebay

rswift-ebay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Excellent thanks so much. Have it working on my zumo 660. Cheers.
    Yinzer Moto likes this.