Using a Garmin Nuvi as an ADV GPS

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by Yinzer Moto, Nov 13, 2016.

1. Bakfarht

Bakfarht Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Didn't know the Nuvi was so capable. I've got a 68 and basically just use it for the speedometer and clock. I still stuff a paper map in the tank bag for trips.
    Yinzer Moto likes this.
  2. Rickcaccia

Rickcaccia Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can any one tell me if this will work with a Nuvi 50 LM and what software you are using to make traklogs ... thx
  3. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Sloppy 300 rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am usually downloading tracks from ADV or other sites. Then modifying them in Basecamp, but there are dozens of programs you can modify the file in. Mainly, you just need to make sure it contains only tracks and no routes. Then take that file and convert it to an img file. It should work on any gps that has a USB port or a memory card slot.
  4. Rickcaccia

Rickcaccia Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    thank you ... I think that I am starting with GPX is throwing a monkey in the wrench.
  5. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Sloppy 300 rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, only a rare few Nuvi units will take a GPX file. The file needs to be converted to a img file.
  6. boulet_boulet

boulet_boulet Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am stumped trying to use IMGfromGPX to convert the latest NEBDR tracks to an *img file for my ZumoXT. I know I don't NEED to do this and the XT handles tracks easily, but I am trying to join the whole route into one file that easily displays. The kicker is that I can easily accomplish this using the December2019 version of the NEBDR tracks, but when I follow the same exact steps and change appropriate variables (map name, etc.), I repeatedly cannot get the newer version of the BDR tracks to convert.

Would any of you be willing to try a hand at converting these tracks and let me know if you're successful? I am not asking for the resulting file because I am editing track colors (as I did with vers. 1); I'm just hoping I am missing something obvious and one of you can point it out.

I'll post a similar question in the NEBDR thread in case someone has helpful info there too. Thanks.
  7. fjmartin

fjmartin Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK, I downloaded the latest NEBDR Tracks, dragged them into IMGfromGPX, Selected POI Style as "Special" and POI Sub Style as "City" and left track color to "Use Track Colors". I set the Map ID to "17999" and set the name on computer and name on device at "NEBDR". It created with no problems. I installed the map in BaseCamp to make sure it looks fine and it does.
    boulet_boulet likes this.
  8. boulet_boulet

boulet_boulet Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you. My specific issue is with getting it to show up from the renamed gmappsup (sp?) file on the Garmin. You didn’t happen to try to see it on the GPS did you?

I really appreciate the effort.
  9. fjmartin

fjmartin Long timer

Oddometer:
    I renamed the created gmapsupp.img to NEBDR.IMG. I pulled out my old Nuvi 57LMT and connected to my PC and dragged the NEBDR.IMG file to the MicroSD card into the Map folder. After copying I disconnected from the PC and booted the Nuvi. I successfully received the message after booting that a map was updated. I went into Map & Vehicle, MyMaps and see the NEBDR map in there and it is selected. I then returned to the main menu and selected View Map and then tapped the screen to switch to 2D mode and zoomed out and scrolled over to the NE and the map properly shows. I zoomed in and see the colors of the tracks and see the icon and name for the waypoints
  10. boulet_boulet

boulet_boulet Long timer

Oddometer:
    Again, many thanks. This proves I’m doing something wrong, but for the life of me I can’t figure out what. My workflow is about identical to yours. I even get a confirmation message that a new map has been installed, see POIs but nothing in terms of tracks.

I’ll try again tonight. In the meantime, it’s stunningly gorgeous outside here in Maine and it’s time to ride.
    fjmartin likes this.
  11. boulet_boulet

boulet_boulet Long timer

Oddometer:
    I still can't figure it out. I have the latest GPX, have edited the main tracks to another color, dragged to IMGfromGPX. POI style is set to 'Special' then 'City (0400). Track color is set to {Use Track color}. Map ID: 7001, Name on computer and device: NEBDR_V3_red_tracks and the check box is checked for creating an *IMG file. The Zumo sees it just fine but will only display the POIs, not the tracks. However, this same process still works for the older NEBDR GPX file. I can see those tracks just fine on the IMG file.

I am stumped.

Edit: I found my error and was able to get it to work. It's kind of embarrassing really. I was looking for tracks at a location where the new NEBDR has none. Carry on.
    Yinzer Moto likes this.
  12. fjmartin

fjmartin Long timer

Oddometer:
    As Homer would say...Doh!
    Glad you got it working!
    boulet_boulet likes this.