1. Hey everyone, We’re going to start a weekly email to surface interesting threads in the forums. No worries, you can easily unsubscribe if you don’t find it interesting. If you’re like me, it’s nice to have someone willing to poke around a big community like ours and find the most interesting stuff. Saves time and I hate missing something great. It worked really well when we had someone discovering the best photos for the home page rotation back in the day. And if you have something fascinating to post, maybe this email does everyone some good by getting it noticed. Let us know what you think when you get it. Your feedback will make it better as we go (thread). Thanks! Baldy & rudy1220
    Dismiss Notice

Using a Singapore or Thai bike long term in Malaysia

Discussion in 'Asia' started by rickypanecatyl, Jun 9, 2018.

1. rickypanecatyl

rickypanecatyl SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer:
    I'm an American expat living in Malaysia with a long term work visa and I'm thinking of getting a bike from either Singapore or Thailand. (Yamaha WR250R which they don't sell here.)

I'm thinking if I flew to Singapore, bought the bike and rode back they might just check my personal passport at the bridge and not the bike's paperwork? But that of course is a big chance... Anyone know:
    1. Can I legally buy a bike in Singapore and put it in my name as an American?
    2. What's the procedure at the Malaysia/Sing border for a foreigner with a Sing bike?
    3. Is it possible to transfer a Sing bike to Malaysia?
    Then I've got the same questions for Thailand as well...
  2. Pukaii (kyle)

Pukaii (kyle) n00b

Oddometer:
    W 250 r also dont sell here in Thailand. Singapore would be the only chance I guess.
  3. foo

foo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I cross into Malaysia a lot with no problems, but I'm on a Sg EP so that probably makes the difference. If you try it on a Malaysian pass then they might take more of an interest. Have you looked at importing via a dealer? I did that in Sg for a bike which the main dealer didn't bring in. Parts can be a issue though.