1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Using any GSW Special Tools?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by marchyman, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Otherworld

Otherworld Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not about the tool, but related (me thinks). Im aware of the bump-rear-wheel to 6th gear method (see previous photos with straight edge), but I understand the correct way is to check the piston alignment marker, which I have no clue where that is. Before this virgin removes the valve cover, was hoping someone could someone post a photo of marker and also the crank-shaft torque nut (or whatever it's called) that is supposed to be used to cycling the piston to TDC. Many thanks.
  2. marchyman

marchyman barely informed Supporter

Oddometer:
    Do you have a wethead? I ask because there is no visual TDC mark on the wethead and there is no (easy) access to a nut to turn to rotate engine.

There are two holes on the side of the flywheel. The TDC hole is 8 mm. The tool to locate TDC is is a spring loaded 8 mm pin. After installing the tool you bump the rear wheel (spark plugs removed) until the pin clicks into the hole. When that happens the bike is "locked" at TDC for one of the cylinders.

If you don't have the tool try a straw in the spark plug hole if you want to know where TDC is. Or just look at the flats on the cam. When they are parallel and facing out you are close enough to TDC to measure.
  3. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Simplest way to check the valves.:deal
  4. atwoodtja

atwoodtja Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can just remove the plug and look for the marks. They're pretty visible. You don't really need the tool, its easy to center each mark in the plug hole.
  5. marchyman

Oddometer:
    Holding a flashlight while peeking in the hole and at the same time trying to bump the rear wheel is beyond my physical dexterity. That's what happens when you get old. :deal

Then there's the "is that the 6mm hole or the 8mm hole" question. As long as I'm going to be sticking something in there to check anyway it may as well be the tool which negates the need to look in the first place.

Yes, you can do it without the tool, especially if all you are doing is checking the valves.
  6. Otherworld

Oddometer:
    And accurate?

Im told the alignment mark is crucial as there can still be play a few degrees of play due to the cam chain unless the piston is perfectly vertical.
  7. Otherworld

Oddometer:
    Seems like precision requires the tool. I recall that somewhere in this debate, BMW also performs a timing check as a part of the valve check.
  8. JetSpeed

JetSpeed Naviator

Oddometer:

So sitting backwards in the saddle to bleed your rear brake is probably out?
  9. Otherworld

Oddometer:
    Marchy, is that a BMW cap remover I see in your write up?
  10. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    Plenty accurate to check valve lash. :deal

If you are checking cam timing, no, of course not. But let us not mix discussions here. :nono

I was referring to checking valves ONLY! Checking cam timing is not a regular maintenance function!
  11. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    Not in the service schedule. They may do it because they have the tool handy, or they may not.
  12. marchyman

Oddometer:
    As to your question of accuracy... to CHECK the valves you only need to be somewhere near TDC. Look at the cam profile. It is pretty much round for 100 degrees or so. As long as you are on the round portion and the exhaust compression release mechanism isn't in the way you will get an accurate measurement. Also keep in mind that proper valve lash is a RANGE, not an exact number. Anywhere in the range is fine.

I don't know what a BMW cap remover is. Which cap? Which write up (checking valves or setting cam timing)? :dunno

Probably. It's the backwards thing that would throw me... :D

I bleed the rear brake while sitting on a stool on the right side of the bike near the rear wheel with the bike on a lift. I can see the reservoir and reach the foot pedal with my right hand. I can reach the wrench on the bleeder with my left hand. Yeah, I remove the rear wheel, first. If I had to hold a flashlight at the same time I'd need help. :deal

This is what I do to keep the pads apart while bleeding.

[​IMG]
  13. Otherworld

Oddometer:
    cam timing, re-installing ignition coil photo
  14. marchyman

Oddometer:
    Oh, the stick coil puller. I've had that for 7 or 8 years now and don't remember if it was a BMW tool or purchased from a 3rd party. I remember Marc Parnes made a nice one. I got it because the plastic tool that came with my '05 GS was terrible. It's probably the BMW tool.
  15. Otherworld

Oddometer:
    thx!
  16. JetSpeed

JetSpeed Naviator

Oddometer:

What's the BMW part number on that special tool? I need one.
  17. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    I use the Home Depot synthetic variant!
  18. JetSpeed

JetSpeed Naviator

Oddometer:
    Are you trying to turn this into another oil thread?
  19. Otherworld

Oddometer:
    har har
  20. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    :lol3:evil