Using Google Maps offline on Android phone

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by DBM, Nov 13, 2018.

1. DBM

DBM Let's Just Ride!!

Oddometer:
    I recently upgraded my phone from a Galaxy S5 to a Note 8. I kept my old S5 to use as a offline music player at work using Slacker Radio. It is working great. After doing some resesrch l learned that l could also use Google Maps offline by downloading maps to the phone while on my home wifi and then using the phone offline to navigate on my street bike. The last 2 weekends l have been practicing and l am amazed at how well it works. I am looking for others who have a similar setup to share ideas and tips/tricks.

Here is my first question. Is it possible to record a track or GPX file while riding a loop to share with other ridiers while navigating offline?

Anybody else using this type of setup?
  2. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    Google maps (offline) is the shallow end if the gps app pool. it does -just- enough to make little realize the possibilities, and get their feet wet.

check out osmand, locus, Oruxmaps, maverick, and others. i like locus because of its wicked database that handles thousands of tracks and waypoints very easily:
    Screenshot_2018-11-13-17-25-54.png Screenshot_2018-11-13-17-25-47.png

and the awesome route plotter/editor.... click the link to see animations and more info http://www.locusmap.eu/locus-map-plan-your-routes-like-a-pro/

and of course handling LOTS of tracks/waypoints at once is a breeze:
    Screenshot_2018-11-13-17-34-35.png

and then there are the overlays fire stuff like mvum's, park maps, similar awesome sauce kind of stuff:
    Screenshot_2018-11-13-17-35-10.png

but yes, you can do a little street navigating with Google maps offline. it won't record tracks that you can export/share, but the other apps i listed will. and they're really good at it.
    petertakov and Amphib like this.
  3. Woody2627

Woody2627 Grey Wobbler

Oddometer:
    I think the Google off line maps disappear after a certain time too. As Ohgood said, their are many options available that are far more suitable to your needs, and they cost the same. I use Osmand myself, but I'm also a dedicated GPS man.
    ohgood likes this.
  4. DBM

DBM Let's Just Ride!!

Oddometer:
    Thankx fellas for the advice. So if l download one of those apps what does it cost to turn my old phone into a GPS with track sharing capabilities?
  5. Woody2627

Woody2627 Grey Wobbler

Oddometer:
    Nuffink.
  6. Tripped1

Tripped1 RonS says I am BSC, scorched earth or something

Oddometer:
    With locus pro I think 7 bucks....at most.

I just tether my nav phones to my day to day if I need it online for anything.

all of my tracks are backed up to my google drive so every track I have used, recorded or built lives there if I need to swap devices for whatever reason.
    sturg likes this.
  7. DBM

DBM Let's Just Ride!!

Oddometer:
    Please explain and translate for a dummy
  8. Woody2627

Woody2627 Grey Wobbler

Oddometer:
    Nothing. Zilch. Nada. Zero. $0.00.
    Sorry, sometimes I forget I am on an international forum where some folk don't speak the higher level of English that Ozstralians speak. :lol3
    yokesman, motocopter and ohgood like this.
  9. advNZer?

advNZer? Long timer

Oddometer:
    its free cobber!
  10. DBM

DBM Let's Just Ride!!

Oddometer:
    Ok. I think this dummy from Floriduh is starting to get it. Please tell me which offline map app is free that has the capability for saving and sharing track files on a android phone. Thx again for the help.
  11. Woody2627

Woody2627 Grey Wobbler

Oddometer:
    I use Osmand, which is free, but I paid $14 for the ad free version, I'm not sure what offers over the free version. That $14 allows you to use it on all your devices too.
  12. ohgood

Oddometer:

locus and osmand have free versions. they're only slightly limited compared to the pro/donate versions. i donate to osmand development every Christmas, and purchase some locoins (the locus store) each year, since i cant buy them more than once.

osmand= easier to get started with. current versions are a bit battery hungry. doesn't handle lots of tracks as well as locus.

locus= much steeper initial learning curve. seriously, it's not reach at first, because it had a LOT of features and settings. handles hundreds / thousands or tracks and waypoints like a warm summer breeze.

yes, sharing (importing/exporting/converting) routes, tracks, waypoints, kmz overlays, MAPS, and essentially everything on your screen very easy with locus. you can even enable live tracking (pro version, needs cellular service to share the LIVE stuff, otherwise it works with out cellular service) and a bunch of other stuff.
  13. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:
    As mentioned, use OSMand, Locus or even CoPilot. There are free and pay versions.
    Google has some advantages, particularly when online. But when offline, the others have a clear advantage IMHO.

IMHO:
    I use CoPilot for long road trips.
    I use OSMand for viewing a map on more local rides.
    I haven't fully learned Locus, but it has more features.
    ohgood likes this.
  14. PineLaneRider

PineLaneRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Between Michaux and Tuscarora State Forests
    Galileo is free. Galileo Pro is around $5. Most apps have a free version. If you like it you can upgrade to the paid version which usually removes ads and unlocks additional features. I use Galileo Pro and OsmAnd+, both paid apps and probably don't have $15 in the pair. Once purchased, you can also use them across different android devices.

Also don't be afraid to use the search feature on the forum. There are numerous threads already on this topic with enough information to answer most if not all your questions once you get started with the apps.
    ohgood likes this.
  15. DBM

DBM Let's Just Ride!!

Oddometer:
    Awesome fellas. This is why l love this forum. Got everything l need in 24 hours. Brraappp
  16. petertakov

petertakov Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    One can indeed download "offline areas" in Google Maps but I found too many times that these do not work properly offline. I have almost never been able to use search or navigation on GM without a data signal. It is so unreliable that I wouldn't consider it an option at all. Hopefully the "offline areas" at least reduce the data usage while online but that's about as much as would hope for.
  17. DBM

DBM Let's Just Ride!!

Oddometer:
    My results have been great so far. Works like a champ offline with no data signal. I dowmloaded a map of the entire center of the state, and l am able to search for and navigate to any destination as needed. The only downside for me has been not being able to record tracks.
  18. ohgood

Oddometer:

Google will record tracks of your travels, while using Google maps in online navigation mode. it's a really poor version of track recording, but it's there.

the timeline is pretty cool, but not really useful since it's not downloadable
    Screenshot_2018-12-09-08-35-00.png
  19. petertakov

petertakov Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think it does record your tracks in your Timeline even when you dont use GM for navigation. When I use OSMAnd or another navigation app my "timeline" is actually pretty accurate. When I don't use any navigation the timeline is quite sketchy but still workable. The timeline is being recorded when offline and once your phone connects to the WWW it synchronises.
  20. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:
    On my desktop, I just click the settings icon, and download a days worth of data in KML format. Useful to me.