Using google maps . with w GPX converter.

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by extreme11, Jul 25, 2018.

1. extreme11

extreme11 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For a long time now I have been converting google map journeys into a GPX format using a gpx converted GPXvisualizer,com This is to get my planned route into Garmin Basecamp. and then onto my GPS Garmin 660

I use google maps (NOT Google My Maps) simply because it has street view, this doesn't appear in Google 'My maps.' Street view is a fantastic tool for planning any roads or even off road trip for a motor biker or sidecar user. Using Street view you can actually eyeball the actual road, its surface and the surrounding areas. Invaluable for a biker etc.

This month this software, GPXvisualizer.com, has now stopped as freeware unless you get a API. ( no idea what these are) GPXvisualizer does put onto their web site information on how to get this API either free of as paid for API ( even that becomes complicated for anyone not into computing). Following the instruction that GPXVisual gives ends up in pages which are not explained in their information , typical of software writers I find, they all think you are a computer wizard.

There is another way to tranfer maps into Garmin Basecamp and that is using Google My maps . This is to plan the route in My Maps and then convert to a KLM file. This can then be transferred to Garmin basecamp. But there is no Street view in My Maps.

If anyone uses GPXvisualizer converter and has managed to get the API would they kindly send me details which would lead me through the maze of getting the required API.

If you have never used Google street view give it a try, makes planning a trip really easy.
  2. Prmurat

Prmurat Long timer

Oddometer:
    I, now, have the same problem: trying to get an API??? Completely lost In the IT lingo. So I changed and use mapstogpx.com . Straight to BaseCamp (don’t start me up on this software surely created by British Citroen retired engineers... or how to complicate everything for nothing). Seems to work for the last week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  3. pckopp

pckopp Aged Adventurer

Oddometer:
    kwthom likes this.
  4. kwthom

kwthom Retiree apprentice - willing to learn

Oddometer:
    "Due to dramatic reductions in Google's quotas, you can no longer convert Google directions URLs unless you supply your own API key."

Details on how to get an API key here:

http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/misc/google_api_keys.html

Google wants to know that a real human is using their data, thus a requirement for an API key.

Looks like that 'free' loophole many of us have exploited is a bit more complex now.

EDIT: I tried to get Option 2 to work; it seems to be missing a step?
  5. SRTie4k

SRTie4k Northeast Explorer

Oddometer:
    Basically to boil all the tech talk down...

Google used to allow people to access Maps information through the use of their API (Application Programming Interface...basically a set of instructions on getting different languages to communicate with each other) with a freely assigned token (basically a key that describes who is accessing it), but because there was SO MUCH access using the API, they've since started charging for using the API more than 1000 times in one month. Previously GPSVisualizer was the the one who used their own token to convert Maps directions to GPX files, but because so many people want to do this, they were going to get charged for it.

Instead of getting charged for it, GPSVisualizer is now passing that access off to the user. This is so that when they convert a Maps route to a GPX, the "person" accessing the Maps API is you and not them.
    wbbnm and kwthom like this.
  6. SRTie4k

Oddometer:
    I just tried out both methods and they both work.

When you convert a route into a GPX, paste the Google URL into the "Or provide the URL of a file on the Web:" text input. If you do this from standard Google Maps, you will need to paste the key into the "Google Maps API key:" entry textbox that pops up after entering the previous field. If you make the route from Google My Maps and share it, you will not need the API key (although you don't even need to do this as you can export from My Maps as KML and then convert the KML file to GPX).
    kwthom and phreakingeek like this.
  7. extreme11

extreme11 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Seem there are many finding they miss GPXvisualizer usage. I am still completely lost in trying to get the API key from Google. it's a complete maze, although I must say that the creater of GPXvisualize is now trying his best to show me through the maze but it takes a while to do it by facebook !
    Thank for the explanation SRTie4k That helps to understand what has happened and one can understand the reluctance of a freeware site not wanting to run up a bill for providing other with a usable web site. if so many where using the site perhaps it would have been profitable to charge for it. I know I wouldn't mind doing that as it was so convinient. Once I understand the way through this maze I will post a full lead throughit all .

SRTie4k Using My Maps really doesn't solve the problem of not being able to use street view. At the moment I am using my maps but also with a google maps on the desktop at the same time . This allows me to see the roads , by wsitching maps, I want to go down. This is for a trip in the Spanish and French. Pyrenees. Also using google maps is far easier that My Maps.
  8. SRTie4k

Oddometer:
    I understand, I use My Maps for long distance trip planning and it definitely needs improvements that Google Maps already has (such as the ability to select a different route that Google Maps offers when planning navigation).

I got my API key a few months back due to work usage, and I recall it being very easy, i.e. you click a link which sends you an email, you follow a link in the email and your API key is then given to you. They may have made that more difficult since. In any case, it might just be easier for you to use My Maps to plan the route, then use another tab with Google Maps where you use Street View. The one nice thing I will say about My Maps is you can export it directly to KML, then convert to GPX on GPSVisualizer...there's really no need to share the maps and input a link.
  9. extreme11

extreme11 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good reply SRTie4k. The problem is using the company way I am afraid I may end up owing Google money . Did that once on their ads by mistake and it took ages to get out of it.

If some one has got their API key using the First method that GPXVisualizer.com recommends perhaps they could walk us less computer less savy users through the proccess! These forums are wonderful aren't they?
  10. holligl

holligl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I went through the process to get the api but when I do plug it it it does not recognize it as valid. Definately messed up!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
  11. holligl

holligl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Finally got through the API process, but not sure I can describe it easily. Setting up the API project is not too bad, but the it also requires that Billing capability be set. To do this you have to go through the Google Cloud account setup (linked to your Google account you probably have). You do get a $300/one year free trial. Once this is setup, you have to authorize the project to the correct API set. Originally I used MAPS, but Visualizer needs the Routes/Direction API instead. They are different. Once you have it, save it where you can cut & paste since it is lengthy and I'm already cutting & pasting the Google maps link. It works but is a pain to establish. Once set up it works the same with the one additional C&P.

12. holligl

holligl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    FWIW, The API key is retained on the input form. After the new user $300/1 year credit, each use will cost you 0.7 cents under Google's new cost scheme. It's well worth it to me as an easy route planning tool. I love the ability in Google maps to drag the route to less traveled secondary roads. I also found it won't let you plan a route through closed roads (i.e. Sabona, IA on the Mississippi River)

13. extreme11

extreme11 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I finally managed to get it to work after help from the Gpsvisualerizer.com now works a treat. Thanks to all those that have contributed to this forum. Also good to know google charges aren't bank breaking. Thanks all and keep safe.
  14. gpsdualsport

gpsdualsport Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The other solution is to avoid the whole API / Google wants your money drama and get a KML to GPX translation program.
    The one I have been using is linked below
    https://www.gpsbabel.org/download.html#downloading
    Takes a while to get the care and feeding process correct but it avoids the API headache.
  15. holligl

holligl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't think Google maps saves to KML. I simply haven't found an easier tool to fine tune a planned route than Google Maps. Visualizer will do the KML to GPX conversion with no key requirement.

16. Augdog1964

Augdog1964 2015 BMW R1200GSA

Oddometer:
    Why not just plug your GPS into your computer, and use BaseCamp... with googlemaps running in another window to confirm... that is what I do.
  17. SRTie4k

Oddometer:
    GMaps will export to KML/KMZ from Google My Maps (a separate Google "app"... Google it). I use My Maps frequently to setup long trips on the bike and for car based road trips. And you can still use nav in My Maps, it's just not quite as intuitive...you have to drop waypoints and then setup nav between them.
  18. ossaboy2867

ossaboy2867 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Step 1 C039421A-4575-424F-A63B-0725818AEF9C.jpeg
    Step 2
    BDBC4F21-19E9-4B13-B7C1-23C0D1E74C30.jpeg
    Step 3
    9D33207F-04C0-4F2A-8E1D-0522162F2984.jpeg
    Step 4
    300587F3-F668-4CFA-8B70-7D7210D32A33.jpeg

I have used “my maps” before to map out ATV and feild roads using the terrain and satellite views drawing lines point to point, then saving them as a KML file, and making them a track in basecamp. From there you load it into your GPS (590lm) as a track, and change the color to red as well as checking the box to “show on map”. You now have two choices, you can have your track painted onto the map all the time with no directions, or convert the track to a route on the GPS and get turn by turn directions (only if marked area turns into actual road). Believe it or not, I like just having the line painted on the map for exploring trips and turn it into a route on the fly for gas/food “up ahead” info.
  19. ossaboy2867

ossaboy2867 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here you can see the track as a route DF02919B-6151-4CBD-A47D-419508CAAC86.jpeg
    Here you can see another red track, and the selected track now as a route
    D9137D81-9D26-4696-A120-3028FF96DF9D.jpeg
    Where the red arrow is, you can see there is no road, the track forces the GPS to follow what you have painted on the map
    F253B5FD-2FBD-4F53-A9B4-51A085FC5000.jpeg