Using Kyocera duraforce as gps

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by Hollywood D, May 29, 2018.

1. Hollywood D

Hollywood D Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry in advance I’m not well versed on this stuff and the google machine just confused me more.

If I buy an unlocked one on eBay, how do you download a paid mapping app onto the phone? I don’t want to activate it with a carrier, just use it strictly for mapping. Maybe it’s not possible.

From what I’m reading I should just be able to put this thing into airplane mode and the gps will still work via satellites. Or is the map function on this phone good enough? I want to download some topo maps for trail use
  2. PNWet

PNWet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There is a lengthy thread on using that phone as a GPS here.

In a nutshell: you'll need a google account. Open up the play store and download your preferred mapping app. Most like Locus as it's the most powerful, but they say it has a steep learning curve. I didn't really find that to be so, but I only use it for simple tasks (recording and following recorded tracks). Once you have your mapping app installed, download maps. I like OpenAndroMaps. They're free.

No, it does not need to be activated. All you need is a google log in. And that's free. Then you can download apps, maps, etc. via WiFi. Then you'll be able to use the maps without any network connection.

The only reason it needs to be unlocked is to move it from carrier to carrier (to move a T-Mobile phone to Verizon for example). If you never activate it to a carrier, this doesn't matter. A locked phone is locked to a network. If you're not going to activate it whether it's locked or not doesn't matter. For example: You buy a T Mobile phone on eBay. You then decide to activate it to a Verizon account. It would need to be an unlocked phone so that it's not locked to the T-Mobile network and can be activated on Verizon. If you never activate it, it doesn't matter.
    Haacker, usedtobefast and wbbnm like this.
  3. Hollywood D

Oddometer:
    Thank you. I was reading through that topic last night but it was a little more advanced than what I was looking for. I just wanted to know how to get the maps onto it
  4. PNWet

PNWet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately, this varies some depending on which OS and phone you're using.

I think the easiest way is to just plug the phone into your computer, and use it like an external drive. Go to OpenAndroMaps, download the maps you want to your computer, then move them to your phone.

On my phone (a Galaxy S7), I put them in My files -> SD Card -> Locus. IIRC, I created the Locus folder. I put all my maps in there. I then used Locus to open the maps (essentially showing the app where to find the maps).
  5. PNWet

PNWet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I missed this question.

When you have a google account, you can download apps from the google play store. The google account is free. If you download a paid app, then you will be prompted to pay for it. So, yes, you can download paid apps to a phone that is WiFi only and not activated to a network. And, yes, it will still work as a GPS if the phone is not activated.
  6. sbeadg

sbeadg Found in Fogo Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just ordered a used Duraforce Pro for an upcoming trip. Does anyone know if the standard size X grip is large enough to hold it? I really hope so. I don't know where I'm going to be able to buy the larger one. Kind of too late on line.
    Thanks
  7. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    I use one with mine. Make sure you use the rubber band thingie or it will fall out.
  8. Hollywood D

Oddometer:
    An outdoor store like REI maybe? If you have rei in your part of the country
  9. PineLaneRider

PineLaneRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Between Michaux and Tuscarora State Forests
    Standard X-grip works fine. Even the cheap Chinese ones from eBay or Amazon. I only use the rubber keeper when I go off pavement. I recommend some type of on board charging on your motorcycle. Either a plug in or a battery pack that you charge at home.
    Get an App from the Google Play store, some are free others have a nominal cost. I recommend Galileo Pro or OsmAnd to start off. They can both be used without cell or data service. You will need Wifi to download your maps. Once you get started, its fairly intuitive. Use the above mentioned thread to ask questions and resolve issues. I have never owned a stand alone GPS.
  10. Hollywood D

Oddometer:
    I finally ordered the duraforce today. Took a wrong turn on a forest road last weekend. Oops
  11. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    GPSCity has a great line of mounts. They are reasonably priced and deliver fast. Another trick to keep the phone in the mount is to put some strong Velcro on the phone and the mount, if it has a flat surface.

As to getting maps onto the unit. First pick a navigation App, e.g., Locus, Osmond, etc. Load the App. Then use that App to download maps to the phone.
    There are big threads on both of these Apps.

If you are creating tracks on another computer, you can get them to the phone either via email or by USB hardwire connection.

Don't be afraid to ask simple questions in the big "advanced" threads. A few people might whine about repeated questions, but some sympathetic person will usually give you a good answer.

At least I will.
    Grinnin likes this.
  12. Hollywood D

Oddometer:
    6ADC0EC1-9199-4ADD-A3FC-D3EFEE349C4C.jpeg 1D906B40-1BBC-4AED-8849-A9F982F351BE.jpeg I finally got it mounted up today. Used a quad lock mount and the phone attaches to that.
    ohgood likes this.
  13. Fubars

Fubars What would Scoobydo?

Oddometer:
    I finally used my Pro on my dirt bike yesterday. OsmAnd+ loaded. Got the track log working, but can't figure out how to get the screen/map to scroll while I'm riding. Possible?
  14. jhfairch

jhfairch Wish I would have started sooner

Oddometer:
    Did try hitting the on screen compass icon? That worked for me. Or maybe the GPS location arrow icon. There is also a setting that self centers after a selectable number of seconds. So if you are dragging the map around it auto goes back to where u are and keeps u centered.
    ohgood likes this.
  15. Fubars

Fubars What would Scoobydo?

Oddometer:
    Hitting the compass worked. Thank you.

Please hold my hand through these noob questions:

How do I

Turn track log on/off

delete track(s)

download gpx file from an email sent though an email app
  16. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    1) Little red botton stops and starts track recording
    2) Delete tracks you have to find them in the file system to inay them, however a GPX is negligable memory so I wouldn't sweat that too much
    3) Open the E-mail on your device, save the attachment (GPX) to you device and open it with OamAnd, after which just follow the propmts to import it and you should be able to find it under the "GPX" on the arrow menu
    ohgood likes this.
  17. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
  18. jhfairch

jhfairch Wish I would have started sooner

Oddometer:
    I don’t remember all of the steps for OSM And but they are not intuitive. I think they have a decent webpage that may help. This is the reason I switched to Guru (Galileo). Same maps same functionality but the user interface is easy, less garbled. All tracks are stored in folders and easy to turn off and on. I tried Locus and I didnt like it either. You might take a look at it Guru Its free. Here is a screen shot of the TAT section. Good luck.

CC288A2C-257B-4CCE-AAA6-96770E22A9B2.png
  19. PineLaneRider

PineLaneRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Between Michaux and Tuscarora State Forests
    Guru is what I use for tracks.
  20. SRTie4k

SRTie4k Northeast Explorer

Oddometer:
    If you have Locus questions, head on over to this thread for answers. There's a handful of experts that post pretty frequently.