Using Mobile Phone For Navigation in Hot Weather

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by seasdes, Oct 2, 2020.

1. seasdes

seasdes Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I will be doing a few long distance trips soonish (2000 km each way) and thinking of using the phone for Navigation.The trip will be mostly sealed roads The weather will be warming up to the mid to high 30s and potentially higher. The phone is mounted to a Hondo Garage mount with quick charge and the buzz killer. So the phone should be able to handle the vibes.

My question to experienced phone users out there is - Will heat be a real problem when using the phone for navigation. I have only used the phone in mild weather and have had n problems with the phone. I wont be storing the phone in a weatherproof case. So ventilation is available. Just that the phone is exposed to the weather. A plastic bag will be used in case it rains.
  2. blalor

blalor Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I routinely use my iPhone 11 Pro in warmer temps than that with no issues. Direct sunlight could be an issue, but I suspect you won’t have a problem as long as it’s not in a clear case.
  3. seasdes

seasdes Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Blalor. I should have made it clearer for those in non metric countries. I was refering to 30 deg C not F. I can work around the direct sunlight bit.
  4. blalor

blalor Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I figured, and did the math. ;-)
  5. johnpgs

johnpgs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The only issues I have had using my Note 10+ for navigation (on a ram X mount with wireless charging) was on a really hot and sunny day, 98-100 F. Under these conditions, the phone was at full brightness for several hours. At some point the phone got too hot, and I got a message the the wireless charging had been stopped. The phone and navigation still worked fine, but it was running just on the battery for the last 45 min of travel that day. Worked fine again the next day. This has only happened this one time, and the conditions were quite extreme. I am using the Motopuck 10w wireless charger on the Ram mount and it works great.
  6. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yea, wireless charging will run hotter. Direct cable charging is a bit more efficient, so runs a bit cooler.
  7. sgroover

sgroover Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Direct (plug in charging) on my Samsung S9+ with navigating all over the southern US (high 90 F temps) and no issues.
  8. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow. My Kyocera Duraforce pro will dim with any temps over about 25C if it's a sunny day.

That's on a silicone phone holder centered on the handlebars of a naked bike. USB cable charging.

Does it matter what app is running? I use mainly OsmAnd.
  9. petertakov

petertakov Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've used a lot of phones for navigation (I don't have a dedicated one - I use whatever phone I have at the moment) and never had any of them overheat. Unless you use some thick case, the airflow on the bike is better than any "normal" handheld use can ever hope for.
  10. AdvNener

AdvNener Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't have real world data to back this up, but I believe the phone mounting position to be a real parameter to those overheating issues. Comparing "high position, near vertical position" to "mounted directly to the handlebar, near horizontal position"

- Depending on the windshield, the first one will stand more in the airflow.. and it will even expose way more surface to the airflow
    - Speaking of noon direct sunlight on the phone.. it's the opposite: the horizontal position makes the sun rays hit almost perpendicular/directly, whereas the vertical position is the opposite. I bet the difference in direct sun watts absorbed by the phone can be a 2x or even more factor.

So only downside for high/vertical mounting is finding the compromise in the angle if you stand up a lot. For street only it's a non brainer IMO.

I've been find in up to 37°C/no wind with wireless charging this summer.

How much cpu power the softwares you use may play a factor too. Airplane mode and power-savy locus pro for me..
  11. seasdes

seasdes Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys. Looks like the answer is its ok to use a phone as long as its not enclosed in a glass house. I will be mounting it in a position that has good airflow and will turn off as many apps as possible to reduce energy use and heat build up.
  12. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    Many phones have been IP67 or IP68 certifed for the last 5 years so no special prep is really required, if you have a phone with Qi wireless you can get powered mounts and then the only other thing you need (besides navigation apps) is a screen lock in case of rain.

I haven't had any issues with overheating in a long time, but as noted above there are considerations to be made.
  13. holligl

holligl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I use a Samsung Note 8, primarily with OSMand+ My biggest issue is screen burnin. I got the screen replaced once by Samsung, but the screen image is occuring again. I now try to limit the screen time, and will be running it mounted 180°. The AMOLED screens seem to be prone to this issue.
  14. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:

Odd. I never had an issue with my Note 8.

I created a dark render for the maps. With AMOLED, the darker the background, the less power is used, and less heat generated. Plus, I like the dark background modes. I can't say for certain that it stops the screen burn, but it should help.
    holligl likes this.
  15. petertakov

petertakov Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Burn-in has been the main issue and topic for discussion with AMOLED since day one. They are also generally not as bright as LCD. Not a good choice for navigation.
    True about the less power with dark themes but as long as you still have STATIC bright elements they will still burn-in eventually. If you have bright roads on a dark background and interface elements, you should be fine because the roads are not static.