UT-NV-CA travel advice

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by Bartman, Sep 3, 2002.

1. Bartman

Bartman SnowDog

Oddometer:
    Hello all,

Next week I am starting a 10 day trip from SLC to Thousand Oaks, Ca and then back to UT by way of Sacramento. I would really appreciate any advice the collective wisdom might have regarding routes and camping sites. I want to avoid interstates as much as possible. My initial thoughts were to head out hwy. 50 through NV and then head down through the Yosemite area. I figure it's going to take a couple nights of camping to make it down there on the backroads without turning it into a death march. On the way back up I'm planning on taking the PCH and wonder about good camping sites just south of Big Sur. I'm riding a GS so dirt roads, gravel, trails, etc. won't be a problem. As I mentioned, any route or camping advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
  2. BeeCeeGS

BeeCeeGS WeaponOfMassDestruction

Oddometer:
  3. RockyRaccoon

RockyRaccoon Found:Gideon's Bible

Oddometer:
    Hwy 50: Camping at Great Basin NP east of Ely. Nice area.
    Hotel Nevada in Ely is kind of cool, too, not very expensive and m/c friendly.
    There's also camping in the mountains just east of Austin.

Heading west on out of Austin, take the old road that cuts off to the south a few miles out of town and goes through the Desatoya Mountains to Eastgate. It's more fun than the new stretch of highway that goes around the mountains.

Once you get to Carson City, go south, cutting through Genoa and then go over the Sierra via Hwy 88. It's more scenic and fun than Hwy 50. You can cut back over to Hwy 50 via Omo Ranch Road or Mormon Emigrant Trail or go all the way down to Jackson and then to Sacramento. (or do it backwards, depending on your route)

The Bridgeport area on Hwy 395 is nice with several hot springs, including one near Buckeye Campground, which is southwest of Bridgeport. From there it's a short hop down to Lee Vining, where you get on 120 through Yosemite.

I know the Carson City-Bridgeport area well, also the Sierra east of Sacramento, so if you have specific questions about those areas, feel free to ask.
  4. SKWERL

SKWERL Squirrelly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Definitely a second vote for that road. It is Nevada 722. The eastern half is as straight and boring as US 50 but the western half is a hoot. Some rough pavement and some nice twisties up in the mountains. If approaching from the west, it is just past Nevada 361 (and the infamous Shoe Tree).

There is also a cutoff that goes through the mountains just north of Great Basin NP, through the small abandoned mining (?) town of Osceola. I wanted to try it but my buddy on an RT wasn't as interested. Strangely, it was the route my GPS recommended that I take! Not sure what it is like....
  5. RockyRaccoon

RockyRaccoon Found:Gideon's Bible

Oddometer:
    I took that road years ago on a camping trip in my old Ford station wagon. It's a dirt road that winds around a little bit and gets up high enough to provide some OK views, but it's not particularly noteworthy -- although it is certainly more interesting than that section of Hwy 50.

One unique thing about Osceola (a ghost town with nothing left but a cemetery) is that it was one of only a handful of placer gold mining operations in Nevada; most were hardrock.
  6. Bartman

Bartman SnowDog

Oddometer:
    Appreciate the info gentlemen. I'm off on Saturday morning. Should be an interesting trip. The weather looks like it should be stellar.

Thanks again.