Utah and stuff

Discussion in 'Americas' started by smalls78, May 29, 2019.

1. smalls78

smalls78 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking at southern Utah..ish this September. I went to southern Utah 2 years ago on the cruiser and camped along the way hitting Utah, Arizona, Colorado and all the other stuff in between from Charlotte NC. I spent about 2 weeks on the road.

This year, I'm looking to take The Pig (BMW GSA).

I've been researching threads here and it seems to be short some info. Hoping to condense travel plans to this thread.

Anyone wiling to throw in 2 cents for info? Specifically looking for mostly "off pavement" in Utah/Colorado/Arizona. I want to route out days/trails that are conducive for a 1200cc bike and being a solo rider. NOT looking for "off road" as in single track or something a 500cc bike would chew up.

Also any info on shipping the bike there to start? I've made the westward trip 3 years now from NC and this year I might want to shorten the out and back days on the slab...already earned my stripes crossing Kansas several times.

I appreciate the help.
  2. Blakebird

Blakebird r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer:
    look up the Bullfrog ferry, Burr Trail, and UT12....Moki Dugway, Valley of the Gods.
  3. bobw

bobw Harden the phuck up

Oddometer:
    That's a pretty area and a bunch of dirt can be found around many of the NP areas. I did a quick search and this popped up. https://www.google.com/search?q=moa...2.69i57j0l5.7886j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8 There are a ton of 4X4 groups and rentals all over the place and I'd bet some google time would show locals advertisements and forum stuff you could learn of great options from. I used my 1200GSA in the area last year and it was great, but I just picked up an 850GS to take back next season and look forward to just a bit less bike hopefully equaling a bit more flexibility in where I take it. The 1200 will be excellent for most places other than some of the real deep sand or loose shale where she let's her full figured heft be known :D

There were a couple threads on shipping on ADVrider and I see quotes for 300-400 buck range in many dealership ads too. A buddy from PA shipped his Triumph to the Rockies one year to join us due to limited vacation time and he was very happy with the process, but that was a good ten years ago so his costs are not relevant. I'd call the Charlotte dealer and see which freight company brings their stuff. With all their brands they may share they all use the same company or they may see which are better than others.

Have a great trip!
    smalls78 likes this.
  4. DADODIRT

DADODIRT Long timer

Oddometer:
    For Western Colorado look up the Norwood - Dolores road and Uncumpaghre Plateau. A lot of Northern AZ is rez. I'm sure there's some routes through there. Chaco Canyon.
    Blakebird mentioned some good stuff in Utah. Also out that way is John Brown Canyon and the northern route from Gateway, CO to Moab Ut.
    smalls78 likes this.
  5. stageracer

stageracer To err is human, to forgive is not company policy

Oddometer:
    Check Cottonwood Canyon between Hwy 89 and Hwy 12. Avoid it if it's rained within 36-72 hrs
    rvsparky likes this.
  6. smalls78

Oddometer:
    I have been to Moki Dugway riding my Harley StreetGlide up it (I take it most places other Harley riders do not). A tad nervous taking the trip solo on a big bike, but plan on riding doable roads, thats why I'm reaching out to others for advice.

Greatly appreciate all the info so far!!

Bullfrog Ferry
    Burr Trail
    UT12
    Valley of the Gods
    Shafer Trail
    Geyser Pass
    Norwood - Dolores road
    Uncumpaghre Plateau
    Chaco Canyon
    John Brown Canyon
    Gateway CO - Moab UT
  7. tellicotom

tellicotom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We did alothe of FS roads in the Manti La Sale NF west out of Monticello, UT we were on small bikes, but as I recall they should all be fine on a big bike. We went from Bears Ears and came out near the Needles District of Canyonlands.
    DADODIRT and smalls78 like this.
  8. itlives

itlives Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I will be in the area the last week of Sept - 1st week of Oct. I will be on a Vstrom 650 and am looking for the same. Not technical riding (I'm not that good) . Just off the beaten path in a NF somewhere.
    You can mess. me if you want once your plan jells. I'm flexible....
  9. smalls78

Oddometer:
    Sure will!
  10. smalls78

Oddometer:
    So after making the trip west the past 3 years on my Harley, I'm really debating 2 things, both of which could be game changers;
    1) shipping the bike there, ride home or ship both ways. I'd really like to cut down on the bs and save vacation days to spend in Utah or westward.
    2) forgoing the BMW and picking up a DRZ400 or maybe DR650 and taking the bike via SUV, making this whole thing into more a road trip living out of my SUV, camping, and riding.

Thoughts?

I've been riding "off pavement" for 2 years on 1200 and 800cc size bike, mostly jeep and forest service trails in NC. That's my "experience". But I've camped all my life.
  11. -E-

-E- Klaatu barada nikto Supporter

Oddometer:
  12. smalls78

Oddometer:
  13. DittyBag

DittyBag A bag of dirty stuff

Oddometer:
    78, I'm from up the hill in Morganton. I have similar goals when going west. I've done it several ways, but everytime hauled the bike on a hitch hauler. I have an FJ with a RTT that will go just about anywhere. I've found that I don't like out and back rides to camp as much. The most preferred is to leave the hauler at a tent space and then do the ride (2-3 weeks) just camping with some hiking mixed in. Let me know if I can help.
    smalls78 likes this.
  14. DittyBag

DittyBag A bag of dirty stuff

Oddometer:
    Also, it takes me about 2.5 hard days to get there.
    smalls78 likes this.
  15. Janus9

Janus9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Go for the dual sport on the back of your suv.

Since you aren’t too interested in slabbing there on your bike, make the off-road riding the most fun you can with the smaller bike once you get there. You can even park the suv once there and load up the bike for longer camping type trips etc.....
  16. smalls78

Oddometer:
    Exploring all routes involving the White Rim Trail

Also, what are folks using for handheld GPS or something like Spot Tracker?
  17. Bullseye

Bullseye Mr. Bad Example Supporter

Oddometer:
    Both... I use a Garmin 64 for Nav and carry a Spot for emergencies/road-side assist.
    My 'Custom Message' button on Spot tells my wife to call a tow truck to my location (if it's near a road). Two years ago, I needed that exact message... broken/jammed chain, on a remote highway, without cell signal. Worked like a charm.
    smalls78 likes this.
  18. Imachimper

Imachimper Shunpiker Extraordinaire

Oddometer:
    Tuweep point was an awesome trip, I spent the night, but it
    could be a day trip out and back from St. George. The road from just south of Arizona City is easy on a big bike with just a few spots of silt.

I went the last week of Sept. for 2 weeks total. 100F plus most of the trip (unseasonably hot last year) Hurricane Rosa chased me north at the end.

Read about the trip HERE

DAY 8-2.jpg DAY 8.jpg
    smalls78 and DittyBag like this.
  19. smalls78

Oddometer:
    Whelp I just spent the last 4 hrs this morning attempting to learn all about the BMW Nav V and using Garmin Basecamp, Google Maps etc.... and it sucks, or I suck LOL. I literally just want to build a custom Google map and load it onto the GPS. But, Google maps is not recognizing some of the natl forest roads I go on?? Really trying to get the correct GPS education before heading into Utah BDR type stuff.
  20. smalls78

Oddometer: