Utah and stuff

Discussion in 'Americas' started by smalls78, May 29, 2019.

1. smalls78

smalls78 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Complete rain out today here in the southeast so I used my time wisely and spent it all on GPS 101 crap, and I'm proud to say my navigational skills are now superb to the likes of the great Captain Jack Sparrow!

Seriously tho: google maps build > import to Garmin basecamp > create route > export to Nav V = ready to use

That took some YouTube elbow grease today. Damn.
    Bobsguys likes this.
  2. CharlesMc

CharlesMc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is a trip that I am considering this year from NC. Also, I can either ride the GSA or haul a smaller dual sport in the back of my pickup. I am targeting the first part of August for the trip.
    Charlie
  3. smalls78

Oddometer:
    We share the same deciding factors, although I am planning first part of September. If you proceed, please report back with your trip plans. Thanks!
  4. tellicotom

tellicotom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    August will be mighty hot in southern Utah, but you may get some monsoon rains to cool it off a bit!
  5. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    Do you have a resource you used to assist with the google maps build and then import into Garmin Basecamp?

I was't aware this option existed.
  6. smalls78

Oddometer:
    No, I used my Mac and simply built on Google Maps. There are several YouTube videos for this, but it's a few years old. Still worked for me. Only caveat I encountered not seen or researched; you cannot have more than 10 waypoints on the Google Maps build for 1 planned destination route in Basecamp. If you do have more than 10 waypoints, it will usually mean more layers on the Google build. Multiple layers on the Google build once exported to Garmin BC will create separate routes to be used for upload onto Nav V (or whatever you're using), not one unified trip route. So in essence for me, it seemed more than 10 waypoints made the route too large to be exported and remain a single file route for upload.

Probably doesn't make any sense whatsoever... I promise I'm not high!
  7. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    Have you ensured that the map revision is the same on your GPS unit as the one used in Basecamp? When loading a route to the GPS from Basecamp I also convert that route to a track in Basecamp and load that also to the GPS. End result is that I have either a route to use, or preferably, the track which makes things much simpler (at least on the Zumo 590).
  8. Little Faus

Little Faus Little Faus

Oddometer:
    All good rides. You might want to consider the San Rafael Swell. The ride from I-70 to hwy. 12 is spectacular. Dirt roads with sandy parts, and very little traffic. Don't try if wet. As was pointed out, September is hot. October perfect although there are thunderstorms. Enjoy Utah, I do.
  9. Bullseye

Bullseye Mr. Bad Example Supporter

Oddometer:
    You have to pick your battles in the Fall.
    August is too hot at lower elevations and the monsoon/mud risk is high.
    September can still be hot, but the Aspens are changing in the higher areas. Monsoons are waining.
    October is great, reasonable temps and rains are usually gone, but higher elevs are getting pretty chilly at night and the aspens are bare.

Last year, I went in late October... it was cold and the higher routes were already snowed out. This year, I'm shooting for last week of September/first week of October.

I use Rally Navigator, not free, but super fast and easy to build routes over Google Satelite imagery. Very intuitive. Sure, it's for Rally Roadbook creation, but it makes fast, easy work of route finding... even off-road (it will snap routes to trails and roads). You can also drop-in fuel stops and it will calc your fuel range. (Pretty handy in remote areas when your bike barely gets 30mpg). Of course you can print a Roadbook... but you can also just export the GPX file and Nav by GPS.
    Fast1 likes this.