Utah BDR and Lockhart Basin Anxiety

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Be Gone For Good, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Be Gone For Good

Be Gone For Good Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am gearing up for a trip to Utah from NC on my Africa Twin to ride the Utah BDR in late May and early June. There will be three of us total but I will be the first to arrive as I hang out in Denver for a couple of days waiting on the rest of the team.

My goal is to get as much of the early planning and set up on film as well as documenting the trip itself this time around. I have almost zero off-road experience but I did a long trip to Honduras and back a couple of years ago. I am going to take the lessons I learned on that trip to try to make this trip as good as possible. We shall see how everything turns out but I wanted to start by introducing myself.

My name is Chad and I am on a 2017 red, white, and blue DCT Africa Twin. I am getting really excited for this trip and I hope you will join me.

Image 3-27-19 at 21.04.jpg
    rudy4pl, Snapper33 and DittyBag like this.
  2. Be Gone For Good

Oddometer:
    My first consideration right now is my current tires and whether or not to make a change. I am wearing the Motoz Tractionator GPS and they have been on for about 4k miles with minimal wear. I have a tread depth gauge coming today to get accurate checks done.

The total trip should be ~2000 miles to Utah from NC, ride the 1000 mile BDR, and run the ~2000 miles back home...

Here are my options:
    1. Keep the current tires and hope they can deal with the entire trip
    2. Buy another set of the Motoz Tractionator GPS tires to replace my current set before the trip
    3. Buy any of a number of options I have considered for replacements to the Motoz (K60s, Mitas E07, Shinko 805)

I am really mainly concerned with having a tire that can last the entire trip without turning into a slick somewhere outside Salt Lake City. Any thoughts?
  3. Dracula

Dracula afficionado Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is going to be interesting. Subscribed. :lurk

If I were you, I'd try taking the AT for some test runs, and doing a bit more serious off road riding with it loaded, before starting on the UTBDR. And I'd recommend get better or fresh tires too.
    Be Gone For Good likes this.
  4. DADODIRT

DADODIRT Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm sure you watched the UBDR video to see what you are getting into.
    That stretch of Lockhart could be rough if you aren't a regular off road guy.
    Find some sand to practice in. And some rocks to drop your bike on so you can practice picking it up.
    Good luck.
    forgorin and Be Gone For Good like this.
  5. tellicotom

tellicotom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did Lockhart Basin from south to north. If going from north to south the fir ed the big climb could be tough.
    Be Gone For Good and marbee40 like this.
  6. c_m_shooter

c_m_shooter Ninja Warrior

Oddometer:
    Buy a used dirt bike and get some real off road riding experience before heading off on that heavy beast of a bike. I won't cost you anything because you can resell the dirt bike for what you paid for it.
    jnyrav and Be Gone For Good like this.
  7. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am going to Moab in a couple of weeks and will be riding my KTM 500 exc. I think Lockhardt might be on the group's menu, north to south probably.
    I have some anxiety about this.

I have done it a few times and there are a few sections that are as hard as I can handle. (I am an old highly experienced but just average rider.)
    And the road just gets harder and harder as vehicles tear it up. I am not sure it has been maintained in the past 20 years.

Guys do Lockhardt on big bikes, but I never would. I wouldn't even ride it on my KTM 690.

You might make it, but the probability of injury to your self and/or the bike is high.

Enjoy your trip.
    Be Gone For Good likes this.
  8. shrederscott

shrederscott Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi Chad

Your basically a beginner off road rider taking on a long intermediate / advance level difficulty trail using one of worst off road handling bikes.

Let us know how that works out for you.

Scott
    Snapper33 and Be Gone For Good like this.
  9. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lockhart Basin is considered to be an expert only area according to the UBDR video.
    Be Gone For Good and marbee40 like this.
  10. Schmokel

Schmokel Key to Happiness: Low Expectations

Oddometer:
    I say fuggit and run it! Report back with video blowing through it.
  11. Be Gone For Good

Oddometer:
    There is a possibility that we will get a chance to do some off-road trails and such here in the NC area at Uwharrie State Park. The schedule seems to be tightening up so it may not be in the cards but we are going to try. Either way, you will hear all about it here so I thank you for checking in. I am getting closer to a decision on the tires and it seems like I might go with a new set of the Motoz Tractionator GPS because it is a tire I am already familiar and comfortable with instead of opting for a new (to me) tire.
    Dracula likes this.
  12. Be Gone For Good

Oddometer:
    I have indeed seen the video and some of the other travel vids of the Utah BDR. Lockhart seems like a real challenge for even the best of riders which is why we are highly considering passing it by with the alternate route. It might be a game-time decision as we ride closer but right now it is, at least, on the table.

As far as dropping, I have put the bike down and picked it up numerous times, although never in hot, sweaty conditions, so that will likely be completely new. As far as the sand, I might get a chance in the coming weeks to hit some off-road areas locally but it isn't definite. It might just be that my first experiences with all these environments is on the UTBDR.
  13. Be Gone For Good

Oddometer:
    If we end up doing Lockhart, it would also be going south to north just like you did. Was it worth the "challenge" for you and what advice would you have for a new, inexperienced rider?
  14. Be Gone For Good

Oddometer:
    This would be a great plan but unfortunately not something that I am going to be able to do before this trip. In this case, I am going to have to figure out a way to dance with the girl I brought. Good news for all of you though, is you get to watch...
    itlives likes this.
  15. Be Gone For Good

Oddometer:
    Wow, that is a stark reminder of how difficult this area could be. I am not a "risk-taker" by nature but I also am of the firm belief that just about anything can be done if you take your time and consider all your options. This may just have to be one of those situations where I turn around or skip it altogether. I don't mind getting injured but dying is not in my itinerary. The bike can always be fixed but it might not be worth crushing the trip on day 2 or 3 just to say we went through LB. I appreciate you leaving your thoughts and I will be sure to let everyone know how we got along.
    itlives likes this.
  16. Be Gone For Good

Oddometer:
    You aren't wrong at all and I will be very sure to update you along the way. At the bare minimum, it should make for a great story, right?
  17. Be Gone For Good

Oddometer:
    Yeh, I saw that too. I have this strange thing in my mind where I am resistant to taking other people's word for it opting instead to see it for myself. It probably isn't always the best or smartest way to go but honestly, if I paid attention to the "crowds" I wouldn't be riding a motorbike at all. We shall see how this works out in just over a month.
  18. Be Gone For Good

Oddometer:
    There is definitely a part of me that agrees with you but I do really love my family and two young sons. The other part of me wants to get home to them without a broken skull. ;-)

We shall see which part shows up in Utah.
  19. Be Gone For Good

Oddometer:
    My goal for this trip is to ride across the country, have a great time with friends, and film as much as I can, as well as I can. This video is the start of that process if you want to take a look.

rudy4pl likes this.
  20. WFONOBRAKE

WFONOBRAKE Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Found this video

rudy4pl, Utrider1, itlives and 2 others like this.