Utah BDR and Lockhart Basin Anxiety

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Be Gone For Good, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Be Gone For Good

Be Gone For Good Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think this is the the first one I saw detailing just how hard Lockhart could be.

2. DADODIRT

DADODIRT Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you have time, you could take the road as far as you feel comfortable from the south, turn around and do the alternative route to Moab and then come at it from the north until you feel like turning around. Might miss a few miles, but you would get to do the rest of it in both directions.
  3. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    Just a thought but since you're in North Carolina, you have coastline. Is there anywhere you can ride on the beach? Riding sand is a learned skill and it takes practice practice practice. If there is a beach where you can ride, head for the softest sand you can find and practice there. Starting, stopping, and turning. It would be better to start with a real dirtbike as that will be plenty challenging in the beginning. Then your 500 lb beast without any luggage. Lastly if possible ride with your luggage. You aren't using hard cases (i.e. leg breakers), are you?
    Be Gone For Good and Dracula like this.
  4. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you do it from the south normally you would go a long ways before encountering anything very hard. Gas might be an issue.
    In the past one could get gas at Needles Outpost which is a mile or so off the paved road into the Needles district of Canyonlands just before the park entrance.

Anybody know if gas is available there now.

We are riding Lockhardt from the north next week. I don't think we will need gas to get back to Moab.
    Be Gone For Good likes this.
  5. Be Gone For Good

Oddometer:
    This is a great idea. We talked about this possibility today if we decide we have to turn around at some point. It seems like if we can’t do the whole thing this would allow us to get the most out of the route we possibly could. Thank you for the suggestion.
    Utrider1 and DADODIRT like this.
  6. Be Gone For Good

Oddometer:
    I am definitely not using hard cases but almost all your other warnings won’t be fixed before the trip. Unfortunately the available weekends I’d have to “train” are being chewed up fast so it looks like I’m most likely going to have to learn on the job, so to speak. It is going to be exciting no matter how well it goes, am I right?
  7. Be Gone For Good

Oddometer:
    I will be bringing a 1.5 gallon gas bag with me so hopefully we should be alright even with a turnaround. Any chance you are going to be posting about your trip through Lockhart Basin?
  8. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Since you asked nicely, I will try to take some pictures and post them here. At a minimum I will post my impressions of the quality of the road relative to the last time I rode it which was maybe 5 years ago. We are heading to Utah next Wednesday and I think the Lockhardt ride is scheduled for somewhere in the May 7-9 interval.

I am not the trip captain this time.
  9. Be Gone For Good

Oddometer:
    Alright, the last of the film gear arrived today with batteries, tripod, and other miscellaneous items finally accounted for from my list. Tomorrow is supposed to be the big delivery of the Reckless 80 from Mosko Moto. When I was initially considering this trip I really wanted to do it as a minimalist (whatever that means). I knew that even cut down I would still be bringing more than most because I planned on filming and I do really love my comfort. I bought the Green Chili Adventure Gear soft rack in the hopes that I could use the many dry bags I had already and just strap them to the bike. Unfortunately, as I tried mini packing sessions, it seemed more and more untenable. I finally relented and dropped the enormous amount of cash ($625) for a system that I know and trust will do the job. Tomorrow it will be here and I can start shooting my unboxing and set up vid so I can properly prep my trip with ALL my gear available. Wish me luck and stay tuned.
  10. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    Exciting and/or excruciating. The MM R80 gear is great and voluminous. I wouldn't carry any more than you can fit in those bags as they come. Many newb's way over pack. That ride will be taxing enough without a bunch of stuff haphazardly strapped on the outside of those bags. I look forward to seeing your UT BDR film

edit: I still think you should take at least a morning to ride to the beach for an hour or two of sand riding.
  11. Dracula

Dracula aficionado Supporter

Oddometer:
  12. DittyBag

DittyBag A bag of dirty stuff

Oddometer:
    @Be Gone For Good
    The sand spots in the first section prior to the LB can be a hand full especially on a loaded bike. The ones that come early in the Abajos sneak up in unlikely places. As for LB, I know that you do not have much time to train. If you do have a spare day, you could come up to my place and do some of the stuff at Brown Mountain OHV. There are rocky sections in the OHV that remind me a lot of LB and it will help you see what you can do.

If you haven't decided yet on the tires, I recommend that you make contact with someone in Albuquerque or Moab for a swap. Enjoy, it is a blast.
  13. Be Gone For Good

Oddometer:
    I think the R80 should be more than enough for what I’m carrying but I should know later this week when I do a mock pack.

I would love to try out the beach if there was any time but I honestly don’t think I’ll have the opportunity. Hopefully, Utah will afford a lot of practice options for me. ;-)
  14. Be Gone For Good

Oddometer:
    Dracula likes this.
  15. Be Gone For Good

Oddometer:
    I did finally decide on tires which I look forward to telling you all about in a future post. That is awesome that you are offering help. Where are you located because we might be able to make a stop.

LB seems to be our major sticking point. We shall see how it all pans out shortly.
  16. Dracula

Oddometer:
    May I suggest wearing some motocross style body armor, however uncomfortable, it will save your ribs and limbs.
  17. Be Gone For Good

Oddometer:
    I was planning on wearing my Klim jacket even though it would be uncomfortable. Would motocross armor be more protective?
  18. Dracula

Oddometer:
    When you fall down, armor will definitely be more protective. Because in critical /difficult portions you will encounter, most of time speeds won't be too high, but chances of a tumble and hitting rocks and being hit by the bike itself are, off road protection aims more towards protecting vital body parts from impacts, rather than abrasion - which street gear does. I probably wouldn't be writing this now, after having flipped a GS1200 on a steep uphill and narrowly avoiding it come on top of me, if I didn't wear a Coerta body armor like this:
    [​IMG]
    Snapper33 and Be Gone For Good like this.
  19. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    IMHO good motorcycle jacket padding would be sufficient, especially the elbow guards.
    Unless you are planning to attack rocky uphills at 40 mph.
  20. DittyBag

DittyBag A bag of dirty stuff

Oddometer:
    Near Morganton. On the way out, are you going scenic or super slab?