Utah BDR and Lockhart Basin Anxiety

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Be Gone For Good, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Be Gone For Good

Be Gone For Good Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow...that is some slick gear. I looked up a bunch of options on Revzilla last night and I wish I could afford to go this route because it sounds like a safer and cooler way to go than what I had planned. Unfortunately, I might have to save this set up for another trip down the road. Thank you very much for the suggestion though because this is definitely on the list for the future now.
    Dracula likes this.
  2. Be Gone For Good

Oddometer:
    I am certainly not planning on "attacking" anything other than our nightly meals. My moto jacket is good and has D3O in elbows, shoulders, and back so I hope that will be enough given my relatively slow rate of speed on most obstacles. I will report back how quickly I dehydrate in the GoreTex, all black jacket with relatively poor ventilation though.
  3. Be Gone For Good

Oddometer:
    So today is the big day. I am receiving the new tires that I painstakingly researched in an effort to get the best of two very different worlds. If I was planning on swapping tires before the BDR and going back to road tires afterward, I think I might have opted for a more aggressive, perhaps lower mileage tire but I needed something that could make the entire trip. I will be traveling 2000 miles out to Utah on pretty quick roads over about five days. Then I will need that same tire to perform in what some here have called an intermediate to expert level off-road ride for nearly 1000 miles before hoofing it all the way back on roads to my final stop in NC. Those are some healthy demands to place on a tire and inevitably there will have to be sacrifices.

As an only child, I am used to getting everything I want, so I set out to find a tire that accomplished everything and did it well. I went through options like the Heidenau K60s which I loved on my previous bike for a long trip down to Honduras and back. I checked on just rebuying the Motoz GPS tires because they did such a great job on this bike for my last 4000 miles. I spent a moment on the Mitas E07s before dismissing them because I just wasn't familiar with the tire or brand and didn't figure this trip would be the time to get acquainted. There were thoughts of Shinkos and Pirellis and Bridgestones before finally settling on the Motoz Tractionator Adventure.

My goal was to have a long lasting tire that might just be a little better in some of the rugged terrains of the UTBDR and my hope is this will be the way to do it. They arrive today.

motoz-tractionator-adventure-tire-dot-13.gif
  4. The Breeze

The Breeze Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    While in Moab....riding The White Rim Trail in Canyonlands NP is a must do loop (one day ride; get permit on-line).

Since you are concerned about Lockhart Basin (rightfully so), I would recommend riding north on the UTBDR taking the LaSal bypass (which is not that easy either!!...one section is pretty tough!)....and drop down into Moab. Get up the next day and ride the White Rim Trail (WRT) loop....fabulous trail and moderately difficult on a big bike...especially loaded.

If the WRT goes well and you feel comfortable riding a harder/more remote route....then make a day loop ride of Lockhart Basin from Moab with the bike unladen (ride south on 191 pavement towards Monticello and head into the Needles District to start the Lockhart Basin trail and ride it back to Moab.

This is the way I rode the UTBDR and the WRT. Was very glad I did. It allows you to build up your skills on the WRT before heading into Lockhart Basin and allows you to ride Lockhart Basin unladen.

The WRT and especially Lockhart Basin are very remote trails. Start early, bring extra water, and be capable of self rescue if necessary.

The UTBDR and WRT are fabulous.....enjoy and have a fabulous trip!!!
    Flacrusher and Be Gone For Good like this.
  5. Be Gone For Good

Oddometer:
    This is awesome. Thank you so much. I will research this to see if we can go this route because I think we’d all appreciate some warm up if we are planning to do LB. I appreciate you taking the time to enlighten me. I will let you know how we sort it all out when we’re there.
  6. tellicotom

tellicotom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you are doing it (LB) south to north, you should be ok. When I did it, it was just my wife and I on a couple of old 350cc dualsports with camping gear. The tough downhill section isn't that long, but did have knee high ledges with little slots between them and alot of loose rock, sand, scree. As I recall, we walked the bikes down 1 or 2 of the ledges.

It was a full day for us. We camped at the southen end of LB (great night of camping by the way) after spending the day down in the Bears Ear area. We we're still pretty tired when we made it to Moab that evening, but a Great Day!!

Do the WRT if you can , it is spectacular ! We did that 2 days after LB and camped out at Gooseberry as I recall.
    Be Gone For Good and DCrider like this.
  7. Be Gone For Good

Oddometer:
    This sounds really promising. I think we have allotted more days than we need so we might spend a little time in this area trying to hit each portion and really maximize the experience. Thank you very much for your advice and expertise. I can’t wait to get back to you with just how it worked out.
  8. KTM Mike

KTM Mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    I rode some of the Moab area, and the BDR from Moab to near the Arizona border last year on my 990 - did it two up. In planning the trip, I was all geeked about taking on Lockhart Basin in part simply to show that we could do it. I have pretty extensive off road (though primarily in Michigan - so not even remotely like Moab) and on road experience, and have done a fair bit two up on big ADV bikes. I did a post similar to yours, asking similar questions. Long story short, my conclusion was I would not try it.

We had a rip roaring blast however be it on the BDR, riding out to Chicken Corners, Johns Canyon, White Rim Trail and other routes. I am very happy we didnt do LB. Having ridden what we did, yeah, I do think we would of made it through - but with just the two of us going, we would not have had other support in case of a getting in over our heads. I also know my wife would of walked a good bit on the really technical stuff and would have likely been kinda freaked out about it all. Happy Wife Happy Life prevailed.

I think you are on the right track to maybe ride a ways north or south into LB until the going gets to rough, then no shame in turning around. Just be sure to make the decision to turn around BEFORE getting into something you cant get out of. Stop often and scout your lines out on foot before riding it. Id suggest do the entire ride out to Chicken Corners, White Rim Trail and others before hand. With limited off road experience, you may find yourself surprised with how difficult some of it is. Then again, you might be one of those lucky people that can be new to something and ace it from the start. If your goal is to have fun, dont get in over your head and get injured. Thats when the fun ends. Dont let group ride dynamics pressure you to push beyond your comfort zone.
    Utrider1, bomose, wbbnm and 1 other person like this.
  9. Be Gone For Good

Oddometer:
    Awesome advice and I do feel fairly confident that all three of us have pretty solid BS meters when it comes to what we are capable and confident in doing. I had never heard of White Rim Trail or Chicken Corners before so those will be fun to investigate. We will likely do some riding in there before challenging LB if we decide to do so. The positive to trying to film everything is that we HAVE to stop often to get an idea of how to shoot something so we will be scouting constantly.

I do also think the fact that we are going as three offers us some reassurance that we can always have an available rider for help if we need it which is just a simple comfort to have. I do love what you said about having fun and staying in a reasonable comfort area. It’s when you push too hard, too fast that things lose their fun.
    KTM Mike likes this.
  10. DittyBag

DittyBag A bag of dirty stuff

Oddometer:
    On the WRT, Murphy A camp is one of the most peaceful places that I have ever been on a bike.

[​IMG]
    FireDragon, RJAMT, itlives and 8 others like this.
  11. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    Great photos @DittyBag , which BA tent is that you're using?
  12. Be Gone For Good

Oddometer:
    These pictures definitely make me realize we are heading to the right area. We are going to get great footage.
  13. DittyBag

Oddometer:
    DC, it is a Copper Spur. I bought it because the poles are short. :D They will fit in my wing bag that is attached forward of the bike's fuel tank. That's the only reason I picked that tent. It has been very reliable, not one issue. It has been good in the rain too.
    DCrider likes this.
  14. DittyBag

Oddometer:
    Sure wish I could go.
    Earlier, you guys were talking about gear. It was very hot the year I did WRT. Even hotter when I did UTBDR/COBDR. I rode the whole WRT in shorts and a long sleeve t-shirt. :D
    Be Gone For Good likes this.
  15. Be Gone For Good

Oddometer:
    That is so funny because we were just talking yesterday about ways to cool off our ride while still staying safe. At this late in the game, I might just be stuck in my jacket. It’s going to be a warm one.
  16. DittyBag

Oddometer:
    I prepare well and gear up right. But I have also have priorities. That year, I rode about 5 miles and comfort moved to the top of the list. Legs were slapped by a couple of unknown bushes, bringing blood, but that happens almost everyday at work.

But there is one thing that will get you in those parts. When I stopped for the night, I had terrible pain on my left knee. The sunburn had cooked. I didn't feel it while riding. This Neutrogena stuff works very well for me.

[​IMG]
    Be Gone For Good likes this.
  17. Be Gone For Good

Oddometer:
    Luckily, I have adopted an ATGATT mantra, even in the hottest of temps, so I will be outfitted like this for the trip. I never thought about catching bushes and such though so I will definitely have to watch out. Every time I read your post about the things you rode, I get more and more excited about this trip.

Screen Shot 2019-04-29 at 23.08.17.png Screen Shot 2019-04-29 at 23.08.17.png
  18. DittyBag

Oddometer:
    Heck, I ain't even going and I am excited about this trip!
    itlives, grampp and Be Gone For Good like this.
  19. Be Gone For Good

Oddometer:
    Alright, I know you are going to think me slow or ill-prepared but my wife brought to my attention today that I am only two weeks and six days away from departure. WHAT?!? I am totally not prepared and let me tell you just a few reasons why.

1. I have an 8k Africa Twin check-up needing to get done. I think it is a simple procedure with oil change and air filter change. I am just hoping it will be cheap-ish.
    2. I have to attach (and shoot) my Mosko Moto Reckless 80 unboxing and installation. I am considering building an adapter rig to get the legs to sit better on the bike. It should be an interesting adjustment if I can get it done.
    3. I have to get in touch with the ADVRider tent space crew so I have a place to stay as I travel across the country.
    4. I have to make sure all the filming gear fits and can be charged on the bike. I should probably do a couple of dry runs just to be sure.
    5. I have updates I have to shoot for my gear loadout, my route, places we are looking to hit/itinerary, and just general musings on the entire process and how we got here.
    6. I have to get the new tires mounted. I will be going from the Motoz GPS to the Motoz Adventure in the hopes that I can take one set all the way out and back.

There is a ton more but I am trying to squeeze a ton in here before I go. I wonder if this is how all trips go with last minute everything and the anxiety. Here we go. Tic Toc.
  20. freetime

freetime misadventurer

Oddometer:
    Lockhart Basin north to south includes this climb (steeper than it looks), and it would take take an expert rider to do it on an Africa twin. This pic was from last month. In previous years it has been easier, pretty beaten up now. Going down it was easier (we went out and back from Moab). 54518274_658180004612555_8219792420645109760_n (1).jpg
    Devo 1, bomose, itlives and 2 others like this.