Utah BDR and Lockhart Basin Anxiety

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Be Gone For Good, Apr 18, 2019.

1. tellicotom

tellicotom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Last minute everything seems to be the routine of my life.
    Be Gone For Good likes this.
  2. Be Gone For Good

Be Gone For Good Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Okay...it's official, that picture scares the hell out of me. I am still going to ride TO IT, at least. Then from there, who knows?
    Janus9 likes this.
  3. Be Gone For Good

Oddometer:
    What is that great saying that I should have tattooed on me somewhere as my mantra, "If it wasn't for the last minute, I'd never get anything done."
  4. Be Gone For Good

Oddometer:
    Alright, I am less than two weeks out from leaving and I still have a ton on my to do list before leaving. I have mounted the R80 and should have a video coming fairly soon. I still haven't contact folks to stay with on my journey out there which I am going to call priority number one in the coming days. I have a bike that needs a checkup and new tires very soon. After all that, I think it is really just settling in and packing properly. I am feeling anxiety but I know that I will be able to get it all done because that is just the nature of a trip like this. I am working to still produce content while I am covering all these bases but YouTube is not making my job any easier by stealing "live streaming" from my toolbox recently. I will figure out a workaround but I wanted to take a moment to thank all of you for the support and help as we near our starting gate. I appreciate it and look forward to getting a solid trip report back to you filled with all the drama and dullness an excursion like this is sure to provide.
  5. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    I puchased gas there last fall (wasn't cheap) and spent a night in their campground.

IMG_0434.JPG View attachment 1676824
  6. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    Excellent advise.. I'd recommend the exact same.
  7. Pdrhound

Pdrhound Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lockhardt baain from South to north peice of cake
  8. Pdrhound

Pdrhound Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    White rim, come in from potash and you will not need to pay a thing. If you do it in a day.
    itlives and Be Gone For Good like this.
  9. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    When did a fee become a requirement for the WRT for a day loop?
  10. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    We did Lockhardt from north to south last Wednesday (May 8, 2019).

I hadn't ridden it since 2013. It has gotten noticeably more difficult. Last time I managed to make everything on my KTM 450.

This time on my 500 I needed help in a couple of places getting up the ledges and hill in the canyon one enters after turning left at Chicken Corner. We had a group of 4 and all of us needed help on the last long steep rubble strewn hill there.
    There were several ledges after this that had gotten worse, but were doable. I would be reluctant to take my 690 on this ride, but guess I would muddle through.

We went down several nasty downhills that one would have to go up coming from the south. They could be a bit difficult on a big bike.

FWIW I almost never ride alone and certainly would not ride any of the trails we do in Utah alone.

I don't have many pics of the tough hill, but I should be getting some from my coriders soon.
    Utrider1 and DCrider like this.
  11. Be Gone For Good

Oddometer:
    This is so helpful and I am excited to see these areas for myself. We, of course, will also be riding in a group and make decisions about our well-being accordingly. I think right now we are going to head south first to see how far we can go before maybe coming up from the bottom to see how much we can cover. Maybe with this plan we will get most, if not all, of the basin covered. Stay tuned for the big story.
  12. Be Gone For Good

Oddometer:
    I am just a little under two days away from leaving for the start of this trip. I can't believe how much I still have to accomplish before shoving off. Here is my latest update.
  13. Janus9

Janus9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    South to North, go for it, North to South, take a pass.
  14. Be Gone For Good

Oddometer:
    Alright, I have gone from counting months to weeks to days and now I am mere hours away. If you ever wondered how bad I could be at this, please wonder no more. I am terrible and I am bringing more than any two people should. This is ridiculous and it has to be parsed down. In just about 30 hours this table full of gear needs to fit into what seems like a smaller and smaller bag so I can start my journey. The electronics alone are going to be heavy. Wish me luck.

15. Be Gone For Good

Oddometer:
    I hope this is as easy as you make it sound but I still have my doubts. We are going to check it out but I really need to make sure the bike makes it back home too.
    KTM Mike likes this.
  16. Be Gone For Good

Oddometer:
    It is the last day before I leave. The table is still completely covered with gear I hope to take with me. Most of today will be spent doing family things and I have some really perfect weather for it. Unfortunately, both of my boys aren’t feeling all that great so today is also about recovery. We are having popsicles for breakfast because that makes their throats feel good. It’s in moments like this, I realize if I don’t have the perfect gear packed or I forget a non essential item (and its ALL non essential items) then I’ll be just fine. I need to put less pressure on the process and just enjoy the trip I’m so lucky to be able to take. Here’s to taking a different path today.
    WoodrowBDR, DCrider and DittyBag like this.
  17. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    Exactly, I get that you apparently are a person who is very focused on the details and on the planning process, but once you're there on the ground just have fun and go with the flow :ricky
  18. DittyBag

DittyBag A bag of dirty stuff

Oddometer:
    If you are flipping a coin on some stuff, consider its rarity. In the long run, I've never yearned for something except for an extra camera battery, and I picked that up at a Best Buy. But I have wanted ditch a lot of stuff. By nature of what I ride, I have to carry a lot less than you. Clothes are the main ditchable, but I am sure you already know these things. Best wishes with it, and I hope the kids get back to themselves soon. Where are you showing tracking?
  19. Be Gone For Good

Oddometer:
  20. Be Gone For Good

Oddometer:
    This is likely my last post before I set off. I took an extra day to hang out with the family (went well) and finalize my packing (not so well). I will hopefully be setting off tomorrow early and you can keep track of me at this site: https://share.garmin.com/BeGoneForGood

Thank you all for your support and I will get messages and updates to you as I can. Feel free to message me on the road with the inReach if you would like. I should have the time once I slow down.
    WoodrowBDR likes this.