Utah BDR and Lockhart Basin Anxiety

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Be Gone For Good, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Be Gone For Good

Be Gone For Good Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. itlives

itlives Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You're on the right track, grasshopper.
    I too, had to learn the hard way about overpacking and riding too big a bike. I worked my way up to a S10 and have come back down to Vstrom 650.
    This thread has helped me determine White Rim Trail is the best option for me (in early Oct). No way would I attempt LB from either way after watching those videos!
    Above all, slow down and have fun! Watching!
    Be Gone For Good likes this.
  3. scanda

scanda Trooper

Oddometer:
    I did Lockhart Basin earlier this month on a WR250R. If you do it on an Africa Twin...please record the event.:ricky
  4. Coloadvguy

Coloadvguy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not to crap on the Lockhart parade, but I noticed nobody mentioned the potential for snow closing the northern third of the UTBDR.
    Not sure how the snowpack in Utah is, but we probably won't be riding any of the high stuff in the COBDR until mid July...

Based on the snow line I saw when driving past last week, I doubt the LaSal Pass alternate section is even open. Late spring snow/rain storms can make the Polar Mesa section above Moab to Fisher Towers a fender eating, mud bog.
    Everything else south of Welington should be fine, but I would guess some of the higher altitude stuff in the Midway area might be closed for a while.

Any input from northern UT foks?
  5. msteward

msteward Long timer

Oddometer:
    I believe we are going for a record, 5th wettest so far and been raining from SLC down pretty much for the last few days. Snow has been reported from 7000' and up. I may ride up near Soldier Summit this weekend and do a little ride so I can tell you more after that. Which is just south of the Currant creek.
  6. scanda

scanda Trooper

Oddometer:
  7. msteward

msteward Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like there stuck near denver .
  8. Janus9

Janus9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    He is waiting for the other riders to get there.
  9. Be Gone For Good

Oddometer:
    Yeh, sorry for the delay in reporting but my mind has been on other things this weekend. The first part of the trip was to get me to Denver to play in the National Volleyball Tournament (held at the denver Convention Center if you have nothing to do Sunday) and we are playing the our finals today.

After that my other riders should be coming in from KC so we can spend one night in Denver celebrating the end of one chapter and the beginning of another. We were at this outdoor patio bar right by Coors Field last night with perfect weather. Incredible.

Tomorrow our goal is to split the distance between Denver and Mexican Hat so we can arrive on Tuesday for an early Wednesday (official) start.

I appreciate everyone’s help on this planning, especially with all the snow. We have very little expectations set right now so if we need to be flexible for portions, I don’t think that’ll be a problem. We have talked about how cool it would be to grab a picture of us in our gear (with the bikes as well if we can) in the snow. I’m sure there will be ample opportunity as we make our way down to Mexican Hat.

Side note for anyone coming through Denver on your way to wherever...stop at the Denver REI. I went there yesterday to pick up a beanie, just in case, and the place is incredible. First off, it’s huge. I mean, stadium huge and they have EVERYTHING.

I will get back on the posting horse tonight as the others arrive but I must say...my anxiety level has definitely increased. I am definitely feeling the tingles about this trip but I don’t know exactly why.
    superfunkomatic likes this.
  10. tellicotom

tellicotom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Relax, you have crossed the Plains and ready to start the good stuff with some buddies!! Enjoy!!!
  11. WoodrowBDR

WoodrowBDR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :lurk3 riders and myself are headed to the Utah bdr start June 5th. Be watching your report closely for conditions and closures. Good luck!! Thanks for sharing.
  12. msteward

msteward Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hate being Debbie downer but I never made it far. These are from the out to get gas at Soldier Summit, section 4 Wellington to hwy 40, I made it to about 8500' before it started getting to bad and at 8800' it was not doable. Anything on the north side of the mnts. is deep at that altitude.
    I am pretty sure some other stuff farther north has the same if not more.
    I started from the gas station headed towards the UTBDR, the dotted blue line on the map, pictures are from just past the hair pin turn, one of them in the turn where 047 marker is. IMG_3827.JPG IMG_3828.JPG IMG_3829.JPG
    Be Gone For Good and WoodrowBDR like this.
  13. rtcoker

rtcoker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have come to learn, the hard way, that it is useless to attempt anything over 8,000 feet in Colorado or Utah until about the second week of june, or later. Worse further north in Wyoming and Montana
    Be Gone For Good and wbbnm like this.
  14. msteward

msteward Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is my 3rd winter here and the snow is all anyone is talking about that we got this year. Most everything that opens up this past weekend is not because of flooding and snow pack still. I've ridden these areas this time last year, still a few snow piles but was doable.
  15. Be Gone For Good

Oddometer:
    Thank you so much for the recon of the trail. This info will be really helpful in determining our next moves.
  16. Be Gone For Good

Oddometer:
    We are in Buena Vista right now eating filet (15oz for $19!!) and mapping out our next steps. The above information has spurred a lively discussion about a possible shift over to the NMBDR. It seems fairly unlikely that we will go that route but the idea has been floated. We are going to continue riding tonight to Gunnison to stay at the KOA there before heading to Durango tomorrow so Joe can get his Rekluse fixed. After that we are on to Mexican Hat.

As we went through the pass today coming out of Denver we ran into a full on snowstorm for about 10 minutes including temps down to 37. It was COLD riding.

The weather is nicer and the mountains are gorgeous right now. We are very happy with our first day and look forward to a warm shower and plenty of sleep.
    KTM Mike likes this.
  17. msteward

msteward Long timer

Oddometer:
    There might be some other routes to still get you to HWY 40 if you can't make that one. I have ridden up to Strawberry Res. around from the south to the west side of the lake to HWY 40, take a right and go down short distance and turn back into towards the lake and there is a marina there that maybe open to get some gas, but I would call. Back towards the east from there is where you would be coming out on 40 on the UTBDR.
    The roads from Soldier Summit to there are some wide forest service dirt roads that should be decent because they are a little lower, but I know there are a lot more routes in going around that way if there is any deep snow.
    We are getting shower here and there this week so... but be up in the 70's later this week.
    You can look up the MVUM for Spanish fork ranger district, UINTA-WASATCH-CACHE and see some of the routes, Soldier Summit is just barely off that map but one the trails from there go on to there map, not sure who's district there in.
  18. Be Gone For Good

Oddometer:
    superfunkomatic likes this.
  19. Be Gone For Good

Oddometer:
    AC3249E1-2A1C-4FA7-80D3-22AB703A82DF.jpeg 73EABD75-D843-404F-AA48-FEAFE6CA6B42.jpeg

Holy Ouray. This place is amazing. We are stopping for breakfast at Ouray Wing Company (630 Main St, Ouray, CO 81427). Chicken and waffles headed my way. The weather in Silverton is 47 but feels 32. Here is hoping we make it through that pass well and warm.
  20. Coloadvguy

Coloadvguy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If it were me, I would still shoot for the southern half of the Utah BDR, the terrain is really beautiful and not to be missed.
    You can ride UTBDR up to Green River, then swing back south and head south west. Lots of cool stuff to ride and see around Glen Canyon, Capital Reef, Bryce NP, Zion NP etc. Plenty of dirt roads to explore.
    WoodrowBDR and Be Gone For Good like this.